skydived19006

USPA BOD Cliff's Notes

DanG

I'm not intimate with how USPA produces the IRM...

So you really don't know, you're just guessing.

There are only two reasons to take a lot of time on what technology has made very simple:
-Ignorance of technology and ability to spend unnecessary funds
or
-A desire to continue doing things "the old way" because it maintains an illusion of a great deal of time expended (thus justifying a job).

Yeah, those are the only two possibilities. Or, it could be something else that doesn't fit your USPA Evil Empire worldview.

You never answered my question. Which of the two people who work on the IRM (and keep in mind that working on the IRM takes up maybe 10% of their time at most) is trying to protect their job by keeping it in paper format? You're such an expert on USPA, is it Jim or Elijia who's sandbagging?

Or perhaps you're right; I'm just full of shit.

Yeah, perhaps.

I've authored several small sections of both books for USPA, and been a part of the process in editing/vetting those segments.
That might suggest I'm really not full of shit.
No finger pointing at persons here, it might be more than just one or two people. It might be fear of technology (which is the response I've been given). It might be a desire to do things the "old way."

I'd like to hear your reason for the IRM to not be e-vailable. I've heard USPA's reasoning, and it's a crock of shit.
USPA isn't at all an evil empire, but there certainly is a _lot_ of dead wood in the pile. There are some good people trying to good things, too. Unfortunately, they're not listened to very often because "they just don't know how things work around here."
Well...in today's world of technology, not too many long-term people know how things *can* work around 'here."

No finger pointing at persons here, it might be more than just one or two people.

That's my point. There are only a couple people involved with the IRM at HQ. You are, in fact, finger pointing at those two people.

I'd like to hear your reason for the IRM to not be e-vailable. I've heard USPA's reasoning, and it's a crock of shit.

My guess is that they want people to keep paying for it. Make it an e-book, and you'll only ever sell one copy. Why is that a crock of shit? Do you really think that e-books are secure from copying?

USPA isn't at all an evil empire, but there certainly is a _lot_ of dead wood in the pile.

You keep saying that. Of the dozen staffers, which ones are deadwood? A "lot" implies that most of the staff is deadwood. Is that what you're saying? Man up and tell us what you think.

- Dan G

Yes, I think that ebooks are "that secure from copying."

I'd suggest you learn more about e-books. Can they be copied? Sure. So can a paper book, just about as easily.
How many e-books have you published? I've published quite a few. So far, all but two have easily outsold the IRM. None have been pirated to my knowledge and if they have, it's no reflection on sales to date. Two are required textbooks for media university curricula.
Dan BC sure didn't hesitate to put out his book on Amazon. Nor did Melissa/Roger Nelson.
Both have easily outsold the IRM.

Howzabout you provide any good reason that an e-book wouldn't benefit the membership besides the age-old saw of "we'll only sell one copy."

Overall, it's a Luddite response built around FUD. Were it remotely accurate, Amazon, iTunes, and other sites wouldn't be able to function. Then again, maybe someone has buffaloed you into believing the IRM actually makes money for the USPA? Hint; it doesn't.

Imagine the IRM being updated every 6 months vs every 2 years? Zero shipping cost. Near perfect profit. Managed by someone other than USPA so that USPA merely collects a check. Accessible to everyone, all the time, on a phone, tablet, laptop, desktop. With printing controls, and trackable purchases. Not to mention the side opportunities to generate revenue via ads on the distribution pages/websites that might inspire a few non-skydivers to look into the sport?
There are no downsides, and a great number of upsides.

Can they be copied? Sure. So can a paper book, just about as easily.

Seriously? Someone is going to sit in front of a copier for hours to copy something like the IRM?

Accessible to everyone, all the time, on a phone, tablet, laptop, desktop.

Yes, accessible everywhere except where you need it, which is during ratings courses and while working with students. Not everyone has an iPad they can whip out at the DZ.

Imagine the IRM being updated every 6 months vs every 2 years?

What is changing every six months that requires updating?

Maybe you're right, that the IRM would make more money for USPA as an e-book. I admit I'm not an expert on e-books. My original protest was to your contention that USPA hasn't moved to e-book format because people are trying to save their make-work jobs.

- Dan G

DanG

Can they be copied? Sure. So can a paper book, just about as easily.

Seriously? Someone is going to sit in front of a copier for hours to copy something like the IRM?

I guess you've never heard of scanners. A basic office scanner can scan and print (or save) a 100 page document in a couple minutes.

Accessible to everyone, all the time, on a phone, tablet, laptop, desktop.

Yes, accessible everywhere except where you need it, which is during ratings courses and while working with students. Not everyone has an iPad they can whip out at the DZ.

But others do, and those who don't can easily print theirs out.

I'm with the e-version crowd on this one. There's simply no need to screw with printing and mailing hard copies any more and pirating issues are identical regardless of the version issued.

Personally I like the idea of rolling the revenues currently derived from paper copies into the price of the course. USPA would still get their money and instructor candidates would get what they need in "e" form and could choose to print it or use an "e" reader.

Everyone wins.

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hours? No. Minutes? yes. It's quite easy to copy the IRM at this point in time. Here's a guide;
A-Unthread binder (30 seconds or so)
B-Insert relevant sections into the feeder tray
C-Select "copy both sides" on copy machine
D-Walk away, return 5 mins later and rebind/staple/insert into folder.

I'm not suggesting that the print version be ENTIRELY replaced just yet. In a few years..sure. Both are great. I'm a fan of being able to print sections of the IRM, I do it with the SIM for most of my Coach Candidates, simply because they frequently/usually show up with an e-version of the SIM.

What is changing every six months that requires updating?

"Need" to be changing? Probably nothing/not much. However, with new information access, videos, and other media-rich opportunity, it would be a weak argument that slipping the new/updated information at more frequent points would be a bad thing.

Maybe you're right, that the IRM would make more money for USPA as an e-book. I admit I'm not an expert on e-books. My original protest was to your contention that USPA hasn't moved to e-book format because people are trying to save their make-work jobs.

I believe this is a part of the resistance, yes. However, I also feel it's a fear of the future, fear of losing control, and a lack of understanding. I'd be surprised if the cost of printing the IRM is remotely covered in the cost of the book. And it shouldn't be making "more money" but rather "breaking even."
This page supports that some at USPA recognize the value in e-distribution.
http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Man_IRMEssentials.pdf

It also is a board decision, not just an admin decision. Even if the powers that layout/admin the manual wanted to go e-version, they can't do so without board input. However, the board vote heavily relies on input from the admins of the IRM. I've been present for those arguments, and explained that printing, sharing, etc can be tracked/limited.
For example, the book security can be set for only sectional printing, a limited number of prints, or no printing. My wingsuit E-book allows all the formations to be printed, but the coaching/organizing sections cannot be.
http://www.amazon.ca/Wingsuit-Formations-Douglas-Spotted-Eagle-ebook/dp/B00BNHQ9U4

DanG

Maybe you're right, that the IRM would make more money for USPA as an e-book. I admit I'm not an expert on e-books.

In what world should the Instructional Rating Manual of our national organization be designed as a money maker? I mean sure if USPA was a for profit business, it isn't right? :P

Get the book set up with an on-demand print house for direct order (for printed copies), distribute the PDF for free for the average skydiver who can print the parts they need at home and roll the cost of managing the content into the relevant rating applications.

Huge cost savings, less burden on membership dues, more people able to see the info. I said all this a page back, so silly.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka