1 1
U-Sky

Cessna T206H for skydive

(edited)

Yes and no. Turbo engines perform better at higher altitudes, i.e. climb better. Piston engines don't like sudden temperature changes, called shock cooling, that skydiving subjects them to several times an hour. I know of a DZ that had one. But without expert pilot management you could be overhauling the engine very often. With overhauls very expensive.

There are those who suggest shock cooling is a myth and here is Lycoming's suggestions https://www.lycoming.com/content/how-avoid-sudden-cooling-your-engine  and

"Rapid cooldown during initial descent can damage the engine. Gradual cooldown is preferable. The descent power reduction should be accomplished in several steps. Ideally, the descent should begin by nosing the aircraft over slightly while engine power and mixture remain at the cruise setting. The added speed will initiate a gradual cooldown. When the CHT has stabilized, reduce the manifold pressure to 25” Hg, and re-lean the mixture to maintain 1,350˚ F exhaust gas temperature, which will prevent rapid cooldown. After a period of at least one minute, a further reduction of manifold pressure to 20” Hg and 2000 RPM can be made, if necessary. Again, the mixture should be leaned to maintain 1,350˚ F exhaust gas temperature. Cowl flaps should not be used as an aid in slowing the aircraft during descent. Descent power settings at greater than 20” Hg manifold pressure should be utilized for the greatest possible time to avoid accelerated piston ring wear."

C-182s are popular for a reason and you could likely buy two for the price of a T-206. I'd say pass on it for engine suitability. Look at what A/C are used at other small dropzones.

Edited by Phil1111

46 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Yes and no. Turbo engines perform better at higher altitudes, i.e. climb better. Piston engines don't like sudden temperature changes, called shock cooling, that skydiving subjects them to several times an hour. I know of a DZ that had one. But without expert pilot management you could be overhauling the engine very often. With overhauls very expensive.

C-182s are popular for a reason and you could likely buy two for the price of a T-206. I'd say pass on it for engine suitability. Look at what A/C are used at other small dropzones.

That was the best advice you can get. I've operated a half dozen 182's and two 206's running jumpers and no way would I operate a factory T-206. If you just must have a 206 for the airframe look for a 300HP conversion (IO-550D) or the IO-550P 310HP engine. But even if you find the 206 of your dreams you'd still be able to field at least two sweet 182's for the money and have back up.

And, because it's my rant, find airplanes with wet wing fuel tanks 182Q or later for safety.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 5:57 AM, Phil1111 said:

" ... Cowl flaps should not be used as an aid in slowing the aircraft during descent. ... ”

Wow! 

First time I have heard that concept!

I never thought that cowling flaps were big enough to provide a significant amount of drag.

Au contraire, cowl flaps should only be used to regulate engine cooling. Close them at the start of jump run and keep them closed until you are back on the ground. Closing cowl flaps retains heat in the engine compartment, slowing the cooling process to reduce shock-cooling.

If you really want dive brakes, there are a couple of STCed, after-market kits for single-engined Cessnas.

A buddy installed the combined flap gap seal and dive brakes kit on his straight-tailed (late 1950s vintage) Cessna 182. He later complained that the dive brakes produced so much turbulence that he had to re-skin the flaps. That is nothing new as I have seen cracked flaps and cracked flap guide rails on plenty of Cessna jump-planes. I suspect that most of the cracks were caused by lowering flaps at too high an airspeed.

The other dive-brake kit was developed for Cessna 210 pilots who want to descend rapidly to keep ATC happy. These dive-brakes scissor out of the top and bottom skins near the main wing spar.