johnyn505

Fresh Newb =)

Hello, everyone a newb here. I have not yet jumped but have already bought a rig. I'm 5'8 130lbs and my rig is a Javelin J1( unknown amount of jumps) Aerodyne Smart 150sq ft (never deployed). and a Perche VIP Main Canopy @ 133sq ft. that's been jumped 35 times. I got the rig from a French man in craigslist for $900 bucks. What do you guys think of this rig? Is it alright for the money?

johnyn505

Hello, everyone a newb here. I have not yet jumped but have already bought a rig.

Here's where it all went wrong.

Are you a troll? Please be honest because I'd love to help you if you're not.

Edit: ok I see you put your name and address on, which is better than most, so Ill give you my advice.

Drive down to Oceanside California, go to Tsunami Skydivers http://www.tsunamiskydivers.com/skydive-in-oceanside/.

Do a tandem skydive. If you hate it, put the rig for sale again in the classifieds, you might should make your money back.

If you love it, talk to Rich the owner and ask him where he suggests doing AFF. That is the training program for skydiving. You will use their skydiving equipment for the first few jumps.

Once you learn how to pack and operate the parachute go home and take the Tache main canopy out of the rig. Throw it in the dumpster. Then sell the container and the reserve and you should make your money back.

At this point you will be well on your way to being a skydiver and will have competent people around you to guide you on your journey.

Good luck!B|

johnyn505

Hello, everyone a newb here. I have not yet jumped but have already bought a rig. I'm 5'8 130lbs and my rig is a Javelin J1( unknown amount of jumps) Aerodyne Smart 150sq ft (never deployed). and a Perche VIP Main Canopy @ 133sq ft. that's been jumped 35 times. I got the rig from a French man in craigslist for $900 bucks. What do you guys think of this rig? Is it alright for the money?

you haven't jumped? as in you are not licensed and have taken formal training?

Weird how you ask about it it is alright for $900,,,wasn't there a recent report from Perris about gear being stolen.

Wow, and here I thought I trolled hard :|

GooniesKid

***Hello, everyone a newb here. I have not yet jumped but have already bought a rig. I'm 5'8 130lbs and my rig is a Javelin J1( unknown amount of jumps) Aerodyne Smart 150sq ft (never deployed). and a Perche VIP Main Canopy @ 133sq ft. that's been jumped 35 times. I got the rig from a French man in craigslist for $900 bucks. What do you guys think of this rig? Is it alright for the money?

Weird how you ask about it it is alright for $900,,,wasn't there a recent report from Perris about gear being stolen.

But the seller was FRENCH! I'm sure it's all good! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

GooniesKid

***Hello, everyone a newb here. I have not yet jumped but have already bought a rig. I'm 5'8 130lbs and my rig is a Javelin J1( unknown amount of jumps) Aerodyne Smart 150sq ft (never deployed). and a Perche VIP Main Canopy @ 133sq ft. that's been jumped 35 times. I got the rig from a French man in craigslist for $900 bucks. What do you guys think of this rig? Is it alright for the money?

Wow, and here I thought I trolled hard :| No I am not a troll, I vaguely heard the term before but dont remember what it means, I think its a derogative term of some sort? My parents live in Riverside near Perris, CA I'm planning on doing my AAF there this summer and have the rig checked out there. I know, I did this kinda the opposite of what you're suppose to do ( jump first and buy gears later). Thanks for the advice I will look into San Diego, maybe I will give that guy a call as you suggested.

airtwardo

******Hello, everyone a newb here. I have not yet jumped but have already bought a rig. I'm 5'8 130lbs and my rig is a Javelin J1( unknown amount of jumps) Aerodyne Smart 150sq ft (never deployed). and a Perche VIP Main Canopy @ 133sq ft. that's been jumped 35 times. I got the rig from a French man in craigslist for $900 bucks. What do you guys think of this rig? Is it alright for the money?

But the seller was FRENCH! I'm sure it's all good! :)Yeah, I saw the thread about it being stolen it's like a 4 page long of ppl arguing about who's right and who's wrong and just went way of topic, I did post in that thread last night with all the information on the rig and serial numbers trying to get more advice on the rig I just bought.

johnyn505

******Hello, everyone a newb here. I have not yet jumped but have already bought a rig. I'm 5'8 130lbs and my rig is a Javelin J1( unknown amount of jumps) Aerodyne Smart 150sq ft (never deployed). and a Perche VIP Main Canopy @ 133sq ft. that's been jumped 35 times. I got the rig from a French man in craigslist for $900 bucks. What do you guys think of this rig? Is it alright for the money?

Wow, and here I thought I trolled hard :| No I am not a troll, I vaguely heard the term before but dont remember what it means, I think its a derogative term of some sort? My parents live in Riverside near Perris, CA I'm planning on doing my AAF there this summer and have the rig checked out there. I know, I did this kinda the opposite of what you're suppose to do ( jump first and buy gears later). Thanks for the advice I will look into San Diego, maybe I will give that guy a call as you suggested.

So let me get this straight..you're going to take AFF this summer and you bought this $900 rig. with a 133 sq.ft main and a 150 sq.ft reserve....and there is a good chance you'll be using this rig after you complete AFF?

you have a long and bright career in the skydiving world. Good luck.

GooniesKid

*********Hello, everyone a newb here. I have not yet jumped but have already bought a rig. I'm 5'8 130lbs and my rig is a Javelin J1( unknown amount of jumps) Aerodyne Smart 150sq ft (never deployed). and a Perche VIP Main Canopy @ 133sq ft. that's been jumped 35 times. I got the rig from a French man in craigslist for $900 bucks. What do you guys think of this rig? Is it alright for the money?

So let me get this straight..you're going to take AFF this summer and you bought this $900 rig. with a 133 sq.ft main and a 150 sq.ft reserve....and there is a good chance you'll be using this rig after you complete AFF?

you have a long and bright career in the skydiving world. Good luck. Thank you. I really want to be a skydiver and travel the world and jump at awesome places.

johnyn505

let me rephrase it "I am going to be a skydiver and travel the world and jump at cool places!"

B|B|

THAT'S the attitude!

I never had THAT goal myself...but ended up doing it anyway! ;)

Good luck to you!! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

johnyn505

let me rephrase it "I am going to be a skydiver and travel the world and jump at cool places!"

On another thread, some months ago, someone described 2 type of skydivers.

1. someone that wants to be a skydiver (likes the notoriety, loves the DZ activity, loves the people, etc).
2. someone that wants to skydive (wants to jump).

It is good to understand what drives you. Something to think about and to understand about yourself as you become a jumper.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

After AFF you should be jumping a 170sq ft canopy. A 133 is smaller than anyone would recommend for a beginner. You should sell the setup and hope to make your money back. Also any rig you buy you should have a rigger check it out before you purchase it to make sure it is even safe to take up in the air.

airtwardo

***let me rephrase it "I am going to be a skydiver and travel the world and jump at cool places!"

B|B|

THAT'S the attitude!

I never had THAT goal myself...but ended up doing it anyway! ;)

Good luck to you!! :)
Thanks man your an inspiration to me already! I love positive ppl in my life!

dthames

***let me rephrase it "I am going to be a skydiver and travel the world and jump at cool places!"

On another thread, some months ago, someone described 2 type of skydivers.

1. someone that wants to be a skydiver (likes the notoriety, loves the DZ activity, loves the people, etc).
2. someone that wants to skydive (wants to jump).

It is good to understand what drives you. Something to think about and to understand about yourself as you become a jumper. I don't know where I fit into those two categories but I know for sure that I'm jumping this summer and see where that leads too.

GAjumper84

After AFF you should be jumping a 170sq ft canopy. A 133 is smaller than anyone would recommend for a beginner. You should sell the setup and hope to make your money back. Also any rig you buy you should have a rigger check it out before you purchase it to make sure it is even safe to take up in the air.

oh wow, guess the rig is no good fo me just yet! thank you for the information. =)

Fresh noob here too. Just finished category e1 of aff. Last Sunday we didn't have a pilot until 1:00 pm so I got there early to get some extra time ground schooling, maybe watch a pack job or something. The DZO/S&TA was going to go over a section in the SIM for a jumper, who was also there early, about advanced canopy flight topics. He had just got his "A" stamp last jump, this instruction was part of his "b" check card requirements. Section 6-10 to be specific. The DZO said that although some of this was more than I needed to know it wouldn't hurt for me to join and listen in. One of the parts he was very specific and thorough about was: "no matter what wing loading you would be flying your canopy at anything 150sq.ft. or less was considered an expert's canopy. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH ANYTHING LESS THAN 150 sq.ft. is considered an advanced canopy. I bet the SIM and DZO are right. I would consider that, as even your reserve is 150. No experience to draw from but I'll take the advice of the vets as legit on your question.

rogerpidactor

Fresh noob here too. Just finished category e1 of aff. Last Sunday we didn't have a pilot until 1:00 pm so I got there early to get some extra time ground schooling, maybe watch a pack job or something. The DZO/S&TA was going to go over a section in the SIM for a jumper, who was also there early, about advanced canopy flight topics. He had just got his "A" stamp last jump, this instruction was part of his "b" check card requirements. Section 6-10 to be specific. The DZO said that although some of this was more than I needed to know it wouldn't hurt for me to join and listen in. One of the parts he was very specific and thorough about was: "no matter what wing loading you would be flying your canopy at anything 150sq.ft. or less was considered an expert's canopy. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH ANYTHING LESS THAN 150 sq.ft. is considered an advanced canopy. I bet the SIM and DZO are right. I would consider that, as even your reserve is 150. No experience to draw from but I'll take the advice of the vets as legit on your question.

You're right a guy message me with the exact same info. He recommended that I start with a 170sq ft minimum. I probably put this rig up for sale soon.

johnyn505

You're right a guy message me with the exact same info. He recommended that I start with a 170sq ft minimum. I probably put this rig up for sale soon.

Buying gear before your first jump is HIGHLY unusual. One has no idea what they will need. Enjoy your student jumps, learn as much as you can and look around for appropriate gear when you have 15-20 jumps. You'll have new friends and mentors that can help you find something great for you. :)

JohnMitchell

*** You're right a guy message me with the exact same info. He recommended that I start with a 170sq ft minimum. I probably put this rig up for sale soon.

Buying gear before your first jump is HIGHLY unusual. One has no idea what they will need. Enjoy your student jumps, learn as much as you can and look around for appropriate gear when you have 15-20 jumps. You'll have new friends and mentors that can help you find something great for you. :)