nicsoew

Anyone tried skydiving accuracy with BASE Troll DW canopy?

I own Parafoil 282 for accuracy and Troll DW 285 for BASE. Both are 7 cell canopies and both are very precise on landings.

So my idea is to try few skydiving jumps by placing Troll in my skydiving container.

Reasons: curiosity and training with Troll as I have only few 120 meters jumps with Troll.

I have just put a few skydives on BASE canopies, and used to jump a 'Foil 282 for accuracy including in competition. I did a couple jumps on a vented Blackjack 260, and one on my Troll 265 MDV.

In my very limited experience, I did find that the BASE canopies, even vented ones, just didn't "shut down" as well as the Foil could, for sinking it in, in light winds. At least I tended to overshoot a foot or so when mentally still being used to the Foil.

The vented BASE canopies did glide almost effortlessly between stalls and forward flight however. One could stall, rock back a little, have the canopy stay well inflated, let up a little on the toggles and it would transition almost seamlessly back to flying, without any great pitching or being thrown around. So I even did that at 150' on final.

But that's all just initial impressions and someone with more experience might have a different opinion. Certainly the region of sinking it in vs. starting to stall it, needs to be explored, carefully.

In any case you can go and play with your canopy.

Troll is much thinner aerofoil (this is good as it will pressurize much faster) than Classic or Foil, so it requires faster airspeed and faster stalling speed. This is not great news for accuracy.

But I am interested if anyone have tired OSP as slats would mean slower stall airspeed ;)

Why not?
During the Indoor Base Worldcup, it was all about accuracy and everyone used BASE canopies. Nice landings on target... ;-)

I own a Troll 285 and a 265. I would rather jump with one of those than flying with a foil (have several jumps on a foil, so it is known ... more or less ..).

When it comes to slider decision, the sailslider for terminal or the mesh for hop-n-pop would be my choice.

Benefit: more practice with the troll gives you more experience when jumping from fixed objects.
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Both PRO-packing and side-packing work for airplane jumps, but if you plan to jump it off buildings, then start practicing PRO-packing. PRO-packing will give you more on-heading openings. If your canopy is taller than your shoulder, then hang it over the hooks used by tandem packers.

If you can still wrap your tailgate around your steering lines .... Great!

If not, do not worry about it, because tailgates are most valuable at low airspeeds. When skydiving your BASE canopy, pack with your steering lines on the Center-line. Stow your lines in the tail pocket and stuff the canopy into a big student rig.

For hop-and-pops, you can use a skeleton slider or mesh slider, but any delay more than 7 seven seconds deserves a full fabric slider.