theQ

Patches

I don't really care about cool... more functional. I used heavier-duty fabric to repair seats and knees, and nylon tape of various widths (i.e. what's in my sewing box) to reinforce the gripper attachments. It's worked so far; I'm on my second jumpsuit in about 1200 jumps. I do have a backup jumpsuit, but it's really, really, pink.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, RiggerLee said:

By the way. If you are going to see patches on a sleeve of a jumpsuit. Find a post bed. It's awesome. You'll never want to work on a jumpsuit with with a flat bet again. Sew a patch on an elbow. No problem.

Lee

Or a Cobbler machine. Singer 29-4, 29k series, Adler 30 series.  With these you can sew a decorative patch on a shirt pocket without sewing through the pocket.  I'm up to 4, at least 1 for sale. Also one from the 1890's that still works.

I had one of those once. Never could get it to sew. Not one stitch. Thread would not pull up around the bodkin case. Never could figure out why. Took it to a shop. They had no luck ether. Remains a mystery to this day. Had such great hopes for it. Not saying that they are bad machines but the one I baught had some mysterious grimlen inside of it.

Lee

Lee

On 11/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, RiggerLee said:

I had one of those once. Never could get it to sew. Not one stitch. Thread would not pull up around the bodkin case. Never could figure out why. Took it to a shop. They had no luck ether. Remains a mystery to this day. Had such great hopes for it. Not saying that they are bad machines but the one I baught had some mysterious grimlen inside of it.

Lee

Lee

I just traded for a Perfecto German made polytype patcher sewing machine. Imported somewhere around 1890 by the company that became Wolverine maker of Hush Puppy shoes.  Squirted oil on it for a couple of days. Threw a needle in it that shouldn't have worked but was about the right length, would up a bobbin and threaded it up. One adjustment and it sewed right off.  130 years old and likely hadn't been used for 50 or 60 years.

You just needed a better mechanic.