RMK

Dropzones for Tandems under 16 years old

gowlerk

And it may well also be that an eager 18 yo is more likely to bring along a group of friends that also don't need parental permission to jump, so possibly overall better for the DZ's (and MFG's) bottom line in the long run.

I like your thinking.

It seems quite common to see a group of 3-4 young (18+) kids come to the dropzone to do tandems, where one or two are super eager, another is sorta on board, and one seems much more hesitant (but also doing it). My standard joke when seated on the plane is to look one of them direct in the eye with a serious expression and ask them "What the HELL are you doing?". Typically the eager ones reply enthusiastically, the "sorta" ones reply with a sort of fatalistic humor, and the reluctant ones usually honestly and nervously admit they don't know why they are doing it. (Of course, they are all high-fivin' it after landing.)

"And it may well also be that an eager 18 yo is more likely to bring along a group of friends that also don't need parental permission to jump, so possibly overall better for the DZ's (and MFG's) bottom line in the long run."

I'm doing my best not to make comments about groups of 16 year olds, drop zones, under age drinking, age of consent, and statutory rape laws. May be 18 years of age requirement is all for the best.

It all comes back to tort law in this country. You can't do it. It's insane. There are what? Four tandem manufacturers in this country. That's it. One good law suit and then there will be three. Then Two. Then... And if you think any of then could survive a major law suit, think again. There have already been a couple of good ones and they hurt. If a judge tears up a waver the lawyer will walk all over them. You think of them as these god like figures... Booth... Ted Strong, legendary kinds of people. And PD, Strong, Relative Workshop or UPT or what ever they are calling them selves today are spoken of with awe. That's bull shit. These are small companies. They are nothing in the grand sceam of things. A good law suit would roll over them and squash them like a bug with out even noticing. Say UPT folded. All of those rigs become orphans. No more new risers. No more drogues. No more free bags. How long could you keep them in service. Of course the law suit would hit PD as well. So kiss new canopies good by. Not just your tandem canopies but maybe all your sport mains as well. Do you want to see that? How many jumps left on your line set before it's worn out? Ready to build your next one from scratch your self?

No one can afford this. No one should fly unwavered jumpers which is what underage jumpers are. It's just too risky in the US.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Slightly off topic question. At PIA I talked to the lawyer guy about writing a letter. Lawyers treat law suits like shot gun rather then sniper rifles. They make them as broad as possible and include as many people as possible. Forget shot guns. With out a waver a lawsuit like this would be a nukelier blast and there will be no where to hide. It goes with out saying that every rigger that has ever signed the card will be named in the suit.

As a rigger, once the rig leaves our hands we have no control over it. It's been a long time since I dealt with student gear but it bothers me that they could, with out my consent, chose to expose me to this kind of liability. The USPA is granting wavers to this BSR so they are not exactly helping. The question I asked Lawyer guy is, could he write an open letter in which we could disallow our work to be used in this way. An open statement that we do not authorize our pack jobs to be jumped by under aged jumpers. Some thing every rigger in the country could sign and add our name to. Manufacturers can publish some thing like this in their manuals but what about us as riggers. We are being held accountable for this pack job for the next 180 days and in truth forever do to the nature of liability in this country. If a manufacturer can declare that they do not authorize there equipment for use with under age jumpers why can't I do the same with my work that I'm being held accountable for?

I'd like to see on open letter stating this that I and any other rigger could add their name to. I'd like to see every rigger in the country sign it then let a DZ try to find some one to pack there rig for this 16 year old. We have to stand together.

On a personal note. I think all of this is stupid. If they can drive a car of course they can jump out of a plane. It's the fucking laws in this country. We just can't afford it. I don't want to lose every thing so they can do another dozen tandems a year. Not worth it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

On a personal note. I think all of this is stupid. If they can drive a car of course they can jump out of a plane. It's the fucking laws in this country.

I don't agree at all. A skydive should not be treated as a carnival ride. It is an adult sport and children should not be participating. My 2 cents.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.