andromezza

BPA A Licence vs USPA A Licence

To add:

Licences are issued by your national association (BPA, USPA etc) but the licence itself is a FAI licence, which makes it international, and valid everywhere, as long as it is current and you satisfy any local requirements (logbook check, local fees or whatever). So it is not necessary to change.

Whoever gave that advice doesn't know what they are talking about.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

To add:

Licences are issued by your national association (BPA, USPA etc) but the licence itself is a FAI licence, which makes it international, and valid everywhere, as long as it is current and you satisfy any local requirements (logbook check, local fees or whatever). So it is not necessary to change.

Whoever gave that advice doesn't know what they are talking about.

Actually, they aren't. Back in 2011, the BPA approached the FAI because we were reprinting our Certificates (as the Licences were known back then) and the FAI logo was out of date. The FAI said that we could no longer call them FAI certificates, because they launched their own International Certificates back in 2005 (which we issue on the FAI's behalf but nobody ever applies for one) so we renamed our certificates BPA National Parachute Licences. They are still broadly similar in terms or requirements so they should be accepted internationally though.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

OK, didn't realise that.

Around the world requirements for various certificates/licences wouldn't vary much. An A basically tells everyone you are at a level where you should be au fait with the basics and can look after yourself.

FAI certificates are generally necessary for international competitions, its basically a rubber stamp operation obtained through national aero clubs. Not a big deal for everyday sport jumping.

Not sure why anyone would advise what the OP was asking though.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Did the person who told you to get a uspa license tell you why ? BPA license is just fine if you want to jump around the world. Now it may be a different answer if you want to get instructor ratings in specific countries when having a license issued in the country could make life easier.