EricGleason

Introduction and some newbie questions

Hi, everyone. I've been looking for info on skydiving and this seems to be an excellent community, so I'm hoping to learn a lot here before I have an opportunity to spend some time at the DZ.

A little about me: I actually grew up at Hinckley, IL. My parents both jumped there and my dad was a jump pilot for most of the late 70s. Lots of fond memories of my little brother and I waiting at the line of tires that marked the aircraft parking area for the prop to stop so we could race out to meet my dad at the jump plane and things like that. I also have some memories of the early Freakbrothers events. My parents were good friends of Jim & Louise Baron while we lived out there in Hinckley (about three blocks from the Dairy Joy, for those that know the lay of the land). The story is that I could execute a perfect PLF by the time I was 3 or 4, but I haven't practiced in 27 years. :)

Since my family tree has tangled shroud lines in it, I've always had an interest in jumping, but put the time and money towards school and pilot licenses instead. Now I'm doing some research and am able to put together bits and pieces, but not all of it.

Please forgive these newbie questions. Everything seems to have changed since the days when a Twin Beech was still a hot jump plane and I've forgotten most of what I used to know anyway. I've spent hours and hours searching and haven't found answers to these questions. I'm considering making my first jump soon and want to find out as much as I can before I go to the DZ. The more time I have to think about it, the more likely I am to make a good decision.

So #1: How much (roughly) does it cost and how many jumps to get to the point where you can jump without an instructor? Is that the A license? Or can you go solo without an instructor with you?

#2: Are these lessons like flying lessons where you're expected to learn something one day and come back for a new lesson another day, or do people typically make two or three jumps in a day to learn the lessons?

#3: After you can go solo, how much do the flights and gear rental cost?

#4: How much does a decent rig cost?

#5: How do I tell if a DZ is a good one or not? I'm in Albany, NY and there seem to be about 4 options within driving distance: Duanesburg, Mohawk Valley, Blue Sky Ranch, and Heber.

And lastly, thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

So #1: How much (roughly) does it cost and how many jumps to get to the point where you can jump without an instructor? Is that the A license? Or can you go solo without an instructor with you?

AFF training will cost you 1-1.5k and you can complete it in 7 or 8 jumps. After you graduate that, you will be cleared for solo jumping at that dropzone. Then you can work towards your A license, which clears you to jump at other dropzones and to jump with other jumpers.

#2: Are these lessons like flying lessons where you're expected to learn something one day and come back for a new lesson another day, or do people typically make two or three jumps in a day to learn the lessons?

You can make your first jump on the same day you show up and you can make several jumps within the same day.

#3: After you can go solo, how much do the flights and gear rental cost?

Gear rental varies a lot. Some places charge per jump($30-50), other places may charge 1 amount for a whole day.

The jumps themselves normally run $20-22 each.

#4: How much does a decent rig cost?

A good used rig with a main, reserve and Cypres might run you around 3-4k.

#5: How do I tell if a DZ is a good one or not? I'm in Albany, NY and there seem to be about 4 options within driving distance: Duanesburg, Mohawk Valley, Blue Sky Ranch, and Heber.

I don't know NY DZs, I'm sure others here do and will post, but your best bet is to just see if you like and get along with the instructors and staff when you show up to a DZ and start to ask questions.

I live in lower New York State (Westchester County). I jump at the Ranch. Excellent place, excellent staff. Don't know much about the other DZs.
We are all engines of karma

I don't know if you saw this part of this website. But, they have a list of NY dropzones in New York and some people wrote a review about them.

http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/United_States/New_York/index.html

here is the link.

i'm new too and over in Brooklyn. My dz for now is Sky Dive Long Island. Probably a little far for you, but the jumpers and instructors are really cool and yet very professional when it comes to it.

Have a great time doing it where ever!

-=+ Skyliber, Disynthegrate, & Nucleaire +=-

Hey, Kevin. In the spring of '94 I was a freshman at IIT in downtown Chicago and we had a glider club going that flew at Hinckley. I'm not sure how we managed it, but we were able to fly for something like $15/flight, including the tow. One of my buddies had a car and we'd pile 4 of us into it and head out to Hinckley. We'd spend the day flying gliders and *always* hit the Dairy Joy on the way back. Imagine spending $50 to stay in the air most of the day and come back with a full belly. We thought we were living like kings. :)

I've been checking out the Chicagoland Skydiving website and I'm impressed at the way things changed. Does it really have a snack bar in a building now? In about '77 my parents ran a snack bar out of an old broken down school bus. I think they sold hot dogs, fries, and lemonaid only.

Enjoy that burger, brother!

Hi Eric,
Looks like others have answered your questions, but I have one for you. Who were your parents? I ask because I jumped at Hinckley from 1981-1985, and knew the Barons as well. I had many a lunch at the Dairy Joy, and one of the popular end-of-the-jump-day places to go for a chicken basket was a place called "The Other Place". Have you heard of it?
I recently found two pics that I will scan and post of the Twin Beech used during my time there - N94H. It had the less common three-bladed Hartzell props.
Mike
What's right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.