skinnyfat

Getting back the nerve - HELP!

I just wanted a little bit of advise / encouragement from this awesome community. Here is the deal:

Back in 1995, I made it 6 jumps into my initial AFF training (2 Tandems and 4 AFF levels) at Skydive Arizona (Great place!) and then I lost my nerve. I remember drifting slightly on exit during my last jump (not actually getting unstable) and finishing it cleared to the next level. Something about that scared me. There was about a 2 or 3 weekend break until I could get back down there and for some reason I couldn't do it again. Drove down a few times but couldnt get up there again.

I think the biggest thing for me was reading the fatality reports back then in Parachutist and freaking out. Time has since healed me of my freaking out and I have studied it very thoroughly since and know how safe the sport is.

Anyway, I absolutely love the culture, the sport, the people, and frequently go down and watch all the skydivers for fun.

Bottom Line:

I want to start jumping again, really bad, but even as I write this, thinking about it, my palms are sweaty.

Any words of advice/encouragement would be appreciated. And dont think you'll hurt my feelings with negative comments, Im a big boy now and would just like to know if any of you guys and gals have had similar experiences (irrational fears) and what you did to over come them.

Much appreciated.. :)

Look, instead of driving your palms to sweaty about skydiving, why don't you hit the wind tunnel for awhile and get desensitized a little bit. It'll give you time to re-consider, skills and confidence to advance should you decide to come back, and no pressure to jump till you think it's right for you. Good luck.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I want to start jumping again, really bad, but even as I write this, thinking about it, my palms are sweaty.

My palms get sweaty thinking about skydiving, and I've over 650 jumps. Your fears are perfectly rational - jumping out of airplanes is a damn fool thing to do. It's also a huge amount of fun and really good for the soul.

The best advice I can give is just to get out there and do it... once you're jumping again and current, it'll seem a lot less scary.

Welcome back :)

Relax. Nobody will hold a gun to your head and force you to jump. Go to the DZ and hangout and watch the jumping. Watch a bunch of skydiving video. Just do whatever you can to get relaxed in that environment so you won't associate it with fear.

Whenever you feel like jumping, do it, but not a moment before.

Walt

Hey, I have been there before. I had completed my AFF training in San Diego. Waited for more than thirty days, (first mistake), and was terrified to go up again. I don't know what got into me.

Then, I finally went and did it, it was jump #13. My skydive went great, but I had a hard landing. I needed surgery. Just got cleared to go again.

Just go hang out at the dropzone, watch and ask questions. Usually, you will find most skydivers are willing to give advice and answer questions.

Good Luck!

Two things:

Bigun says it all...do it.

Hey nothing wrong with your thinking process! It's cool.
Hell, I want to ride a motorcycle but I know it's not for me.
I was in a similar situation as yours back in '77 (EP were very complicated on the equipment I was using back then) and took a short layoff...well 25 years to be exact. :D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Had a near miss on my AFF Lv.4. First lift of the day so spent the rest of the day on the ground. Speaking to instructors and other jumpers helped a lot.

Got to the stage where had to ask myself how much I wanted to skydive. Thing that had been drilled into me throughout my training was I was ultimately responsible for myself and always had a choice, and no one would think worse of me if I ever said no.

Got back in the plane the next day (slightly reluctantly) and almost puked when we got to 7grand :S but made the jump.

Managed to finish off the rest of my AFF that day and haven't looked back. Thanks to the people at the dz and especially to my instructor I'm still doing something that is readily becoming an obsession.

Think the best place for you to be is around like minded people, take your time and believe in yourself. Gravity aint going anywhere.:)

Thanks everyone for the encouragment. I am surrounded everyday by people who say "what are you nuts?" so its nice to have the support from you guys and gals. Like minded people, people who understand the desire.

I was reading a different thread that asked what made current jumpers skydive for the first time and a lot of the answers were similar to mine. Interesting.

Anyway, I cant say thanks enough to all of you who responded, and event to those who read this thread and thought encouraging thoughts!

Blue skies!

:)