platypii

Wingsuits will achieve 4:1 sustained glide by...

yuri_base

***I talked to the best pilots atm about this they say towards 3.5:1 is where we are.

I've talked to "world champions", too, and they don't know the difference between L/D and GR, either. It is a trivial thing, but the number of people in our Solar System understanding what L/D actually is (that it's not just another notation for GR) can be counted on one hand... of a man who chopped some fingers off on a circular saw.

It's hopeless. The wingsuiting is stuck in the state of CoW perpetually. No desire to learn anything, to think, to progress... Only endless blah-blah-blah.

birdynamnam

Unless the great nej sayer lends his fantastic tool to the distance record holder from World's and they agree on a way of flying/measuring it.

There's no need to lend anything, the tool (vane) can be made by anyone in one evening. The app (L/D Vario) is free and runs on any of the 4 platforms: Android, Wear, ios, Windows.

Maybe I should start a poll asking when someone else, besides me, is going to jump with a vane (the only way of reliably and precisely measuring wingsuit aerodynamics). But it's clear that it should have only one option: "Never".

Perhaps you should take up sewing...?

aonsquared

The path with the highest average horizontal velocity will be a cycloid similar to those derived by Jakob Bernoulli and Isaac Newton in the 17th century. (much harder to fly, though)

This perfectly exemplifies the poor education most of so called "aerospice engineers" have. Heard something (probably on a lecture in classic mechanics, while busily facebooking) and applies it to something totally different. In the former case, it's a frictionless hard surface the particle is sliding on (i.e. the normal force adjusts itself to move the particle along the path, to arbitrary high value, if needed; and the drag/friction is zero). In the latter case, it's a wingsuit, with no predefined path ("normal force" - lift - depends on speed, not on path shape, and cannot take arbitrary value), and friction - drag. Totally different, physically, situation, and solution for the former does not apply to the latter, like, at all.

If such an aerospice engineer were under my supervision, I'd immediately fire them if they said something like the quote to me. God forbid they design some critical part in an airplane!

But it's ok if they design a skydiving altimeter, because nobody cares/understands what wrong numbers it shows, as long as it looks cool.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

yuri_base

If such an aerospice engineer were under my supervision, I'd immediately fire them if they said something like the quote to me. God forbid they design some critical part in an airplane

:DWould you like my boss' email? :P

I have a simple question: what's the difference between a wingsuiter and the unpowered gliders that have been around for more than 100 years?

Also, please learn to spell :P

aonsquared

***If such an aerospice engineer were under my supervision, I'd immediately fire them if they said something like the quote to me. God forbid they design some critical part in an airplane

:DWould you like my boss' email? :P

I have a simple question: what's the difference between a wingsuiter and the unpowered gliders that have been around for more than 100 years?

Also, please learn to spell :P

He still haven’t even explained what his magic L/D number means for wingsuiting.