lintern

Brake fire on opening - what caused it and how to avoid ?

Let me get this straight: Next time that I have a normal opening, if I reach up, put both hands in my toggles, but release only one of them I am committing a dangerous act?? Would I not be able to release the second one at the first sign of being in over my head?

I think they took it as you packing yourself with one toggle unstowed to simulate a toggle fire on opening. That would be dangerous for you, if you mean just unstowing one toggle after you are open and flying go for it, that is just like a turn. They are two totally different animals though.

Greenie in training.

As far as I know, all that would happen releasing one toggle, while the other was still stowed, on such a big canopy, would cause nothing other than the canopy to start a slow turn.

I agree with Travis, that IS different than packing with one toggle unstowed.;) ( Which, I am assuming that is NOT what you were talking about, because that would be a little crazy:S).

As others before have said, don't try putting yourself into new situations that you don't know how to handle. We've all got a lot to learn as far as becoming familiar with all types of situations experienced under canopy.:)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Let me get this straight: Next time that I have a normal opening, if I reach up, put both hands in my toggles, but release only one of them I am committing a dangerous act??

I thought you intended to pack with one toggle unstowed. That's a lot more dangerous than just unstowing one and not the other after an otherwise normal deployment and without any other problems.
Owned by Remi #?

I thought you intended to pack with one toggle unstowed. That's a lot more dangerous than just unstowing one and not the other after an otherwise normal deployment and without any other problems.

Nooooo Waaay. I may be new, but I'm not stupid. Thanks all, for the advice!!

Next time I go out, I'll pop one brake and see what happens. I bet that with my big docile canopy, it will be a non-event. Might be a another good argument for big docile canopies.B|

What you really need to do is to take a canopy control course. If you want to try a drill that simulates a spinner opening, the instructor can tell you how to go about it at a safe and sane altitude. Besides, most canopy courses also teach you fun stuff like stall recovery, where they have you literally repack your canopy and go back into freefall - feels just like a streamer malfunction - and recover from it in a safe controlled manner. But all that stuff is done from hop & pops at 5 grand and you're under orders to finish your work above 2 grand and just fly the pattern back to the dropzone after that.

This is stuff you need to learn, it's every bit as important as knowing how to cutaway and pull your reserve.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !