fcajump

Outside Video Request - slowmo pullout opening

With the various discussions (past and current) I was wondering if anyone has 2nd person video of container opening/deployments of pullout rigs.

Anyone care to post them?
Obviously high quality with slow-mo would be most helpful.

It would be useful to have side-by-side pullout and throwout videos to show those not familiar with them. Would also be useful in looking at the possible issues currently being discussed as to how the dynamics look as the deployment progresses.

Just askin...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

freeflyfree

Pull Out with the pud at the bottom of the pilot chute? or at the top (apex)...mine is at the top...I reach full arm extension and then release...

Interesting...
I'm definately not an expert on the pullouts (only used them a few times and they were on a... lets say "non-standard system"). I've only ever seen pullouts using puds at the bottom of the pilot chute (with a short direct-to-pin bridle). As I understand it they are normally designed that way to allow (virtually) instant inflation/tension since the pullout design has the container open as the PC is being handled.

As I say, I don't know everything of every design, so its certainly possible to have a crown mounted pud on a pullout... if I may ask, who makes them that way?

Certainly clear slo-mo video of either/both/any/all deployment methods would be interesting to have for demonstration/explaination to the community, especially the newbies.

JW

When the first pull outs came out, the handle was mounted on the apex. The pin was not pulled until arm extension. When pulled, the container was "lightly" closed. You could "cook it off" or hold pilot chute in your hand until you pulled the pin and let go of it. Bridles were much shorter and many used a diaper tail with no bag. Bag or not, seemed to work fine. Wish I had a video of that system being used. Still have one on unused rig.

gb1

When the first pull outs came out, the handle was mounted on the apex. The pin was not pulled until arm extension. When pulled, the container was "lightly" closed. You could "cook it off" or hold pilot chute in your hand until you pulled the pin and let go of it. Bridles were much shorter and many used a diaper tail with no bag. Bag or not, seemed to work fine. Wish I had a video of that system being used. Still have one on unused rig.

Now see... (newbies pay attention here*) if I hadn't asked, I'd remain ignorant of that part of design history. Thanks for the new (old) information.

*newbies note: there will be a test... its called "life". Pop-quizes are conducted weekly at the local DZ bonfire.

;)
JW