jclalor

Cartel Land

If I remember rightly, these guys are having all kinds of trouble.

First, there is a counter narrative against them saying that they are actually being put together and funded by rival gangs.
Second, the police officers in most of these towns are corrupt
Third, guns are illegal in Mexico, so arming your self and taking a stand puts you between the drug cartel and corrupt police.

Everyone wants them dead, just for wanting to live a basic normal life.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Third, guns are illegal in Mexico, so arming your self and taking a stand puts you between the drug cartel and corrupt police.

Guns are not illegal in Mexico. Actually, possession is a right under their constitution. However the right to bear arms is more restricted.

SkyDekker

Guns are not illegal in Mexico. Actually, possession is a right under their constitution. However the right to bear arms is more restricted.

Either way, their government has said that they are the only ones allowed to protect the people, but they are to inept or corrupt to do it.

Mean while anyone who tries to defend themselves will have an information campaign ran against them saying that they are in league with rival gangs and be marked as an enemy of the state.

Sounds like a win-win for the government and the cartels with the little guys getting ran over.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

jclalor

A fascinating documentary that follows the efforts of a Mexican surgeon to create militia/vigilanty groups to combat the cartels.

http://youtu.be/xC5bpPfltOI

And yet when Americans form volunteer border guards to assist the U.S. Border Patrol you referred to them as immature and playing Army.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***A fascinating documentary that follows the efforts of a Mexican surgeon to create militia/vigilanty groups to combat the cartels.

http://youtu.be/xC5bpPfltOI

And yet when Americans form volunteer border guards to assist the U.S. Border Patrol you referred to them as immature and playing Army.

Actually, watch the trailer and you will see that the Portrayal of the Arizona militia is favorable. I still think these guys have a screw loose.

The portrayal of the Mexican militias starts out as favorable, but as they grow, they become just as corrupt as the cartels they are tying to eliminate. The governments idea on how to fix the militias is to convert them to speacial government military units. This just completes the full circle of corruption.

jclalor

Actually, watch the trailer and you will see that the Portrayal of the Arizona militia is favorable. I still think these guys have a screw loose.

The portrayal of the Mexican militias starts out as favorable, but as they grow, they become just as corrupt as the cartels they are tying to eliminate. The governments idea on how to fix the militias is to convert them to speacial government military units. This just completes the full circle of corruption.

OK, I'm really interested. I have to see if Cartel Land is on Netflix.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I just finished watching Cartel Land. It was a pretty good documentary. I learned a few things I didn't know before about the uprising against the cartels.

I just can't help asking "what if" though. What if after the federales instead of trying to disarm the militia decided to try to work with them and train and discipline them, rather than try to disarm them. I really can't blame them for not putting down their guns. The government was not going to protect them when the cartels came back for revenge.

Instead they left them to the corrupt politicians. Another lost chance and the dance continues......