mistercwood

Making of a Murderer - Steven Avery

mistercwood

***For you guys following this closely. Was the actual conviction based heavily on the confession of his nephew. I'm curious if his case being thrown out will also mean that SA's case will lose it's footing.

I believe in the end it was left out of the trial for Steven, mostly because of how dubiously legal it looked.

Dassey's confession was not used at Avery's trial.

However, elements of it were fairly important to the prosecution. Mainly the timeline.

I think there is enough incriminating evidence without any use of the confession or referencing it in any way.

And at this point, nobody knows what is going to happen with Dassey.

Options are:

Appeal the ruling.
Let him go.
Re-try him.

News reports suggest that is the likely probability order.

Without the confession, a retrial is iffy at best. Likelyhood of acquittal is pretty high.

Letting him go would basically mean he does 11 years for rape and accessory to murder.

Appealing the ruling probably has the highest chance of keeping him behind bars. But that would require the ruling being overturned. There's a fair amount of speculation that this ruling is correct, and that the confession should not have been allowed in the first place.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

There's a fair amount of speculation that this ruling is correct, and that the confession should not have been allowed in the first place.

I read the entire transcript. It should have been inadmissible from the start.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

mistercwood

***There's a fair amount of speculation that this ruling is correct, and that the confession should not have been allowed in the first place.

I read the entire transcript. It should have been inadmissible from the start.

Hopefully history won't repeat itself once he's acquitted.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher