piisfish

Funny take on gun laws

I've seen this before (actually I've seen the whole show, I think it is/was on Netflix.)

He's right that it's important to have a sense of humor about things and to remember that sometimes you're just listening to a comedian making jokes. He's also right that on a basic level the reason a lot of gun owners fight for their right to keep their guns and to be able to buy more is because, "fuck off, I like guns."

That said, it's also funny he claims to hate bullshit arguments. Finding the bit funny or not and finding yourself in agreement with him or not, everyone should recognize that he's not braving new ground in the debate. Just like he broke up the 50% of the audience that disagree with him into 20/20/10, there's just as likely a similar split on the side that agrees with him. 20% are just laughing cause he's a comedian, 20% are patting themselves on the back for agreeing with everything he says, and 10% are getting so worked up about guns from talking about it that they have to pull out their cellphone and make a donation to the Brady Campaign.

What makes me tired is those people who want their rights but want to take rights away from others. Just because some people don't like guns or are afraid of guns, want all guns done away with is wrong. It's always some minority trying to control the majority. I was taught that we are a democracy. In a democracy, the majority rules. I was told too... if you don't like someone or some thing... stay away.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I was taught that we are a democracy.

You were taught wrong; we are a republic.

In a democracy, the majority rules.

And this is exactly what our forefathers were wanting to prevent.

Quite simply, this country was founded upon the rights of the individual.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Chuck,

I was taught that we are a democracy.

You were taught wrong; we are a republic.

***In a democracy, the majority rules.

And this is exactly what our forefathers were wanting to prevent.

Quite simply, this country was founded upon the rights of the individual.

Jerry Baumchen

Thank you for the clarification.

The United States is the world's oldest surviving federation. It is a constitutional republic and representative democracy, "in which majority rule is tempered by minority rights protected by law".[251] The government is regulated by a system of checks and balances defined by the U.S. Constitution, which serves as the country's supreme legal document.[252] For 2013, the U.S. ranked 19th on the Democracy Index[253] and 17th on the Corruption Perceptions Index.[254]

Chuck