jclalor

Those good natured NYC cops

I agree,
Coming up behind an armed guy, making furtive movements which he can't really see, who may be a bit on edge because other armed guys like him had recently been ambushed and KILLED, is pathetic.

When will internet trolling millienials realize there are things that aren't games.

Go ahead and flame away, but to many this isn't a game and is for keeps........

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

I agree,
Coming up behind an armed guy, making furtive movements which he can't really see, who may be a bit on edge because other armed guys like him had recently been ambushed and KILLED, is pathetic.

When will internet trolling millienials realize there are things that aren't games.

I kind of thought the same thing at first, until I noticed that one cop never even got around to taking his hands out of his pockets, I don't think he was that rattled. I expect cops to be the professionals they claim to be, even when dealing with fools.

I would agree after the initial contact they were unprofessional to a degree. I can assure you, the cop would never let him know he was "rattled".
These guys are on edge, and for good reason, the entire incident was completely avoidable.
The flip side would be, the officer with his back turned would have been well within his rights to quickly turn around and take the guy to the ground. Or the guy in the van jumping out and taking him down, by the fastest means possible.
I'm not trying to be dramatic, but even members of my own family know not to come up behind me and try to scare me. The result if I don't know who it is can be a quick reflexive jab, or a leg sweep.
Again the cops fell for an internet troll, but at least understand the situation should have never happened.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Honestly, the guy did get too close for comfort. You can see he actually gets between the van and the officer which is just stupid. He could have done that about 5-6 feet to his left, it still would have been funny*, and I'd have a lot more sympathy for him if they reacted the same way. Plus, for better or for worse, police have a Pavlovian reaction to the "acting cool when spotted" routine that's part of this dare/meme.

That said, this is a very classic example of escalation vs. deescalation that gets people worked up. Two sentences into the encounter and the cop has his hand on the guy's chest and they are swearing at him. If the lesson is, "hey, idiot, don't sneak up behind me, don't you realize that looks a lot like you're trying to attack me?" don't revert to a "Don't fuck with cops, we can fuck you up" lesson. I'm sure the video was cut together and the sound faded in and out to make the police look as unprofessional as possible, but it's a stretch to draw a line through the dots and make them look like angels.

Side note: crowding around the guy while you have him up against the van, unrestrained, and facing you is unnecessarily intimidating and also very stupid. Doesn't seem like a good idea to play "how many firearms and tasers can we get within arms reach of this guy?"

/edited to clarify: * as funny as anyone finds this kind of thing. Most of these people would have been well within their rights to turn around and deck the guy as close as he was getting to them.

skycop

I agree,

Especially after the violence against the LEOs has been prominent in the news. This guy was stupid, and he got what he asked for.

As you say - flame away - but he got what was coming to him. if he did that to me, he would be lying a little more still on the ground. It would just be my natural response, instinct, whatever. Then again, I have been attacked from behind, robbed, and injured and will not, if possible, let that happen again.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

First, I'm not sure I get it. Is it the dancing guy or is it the person he's dancing behind who is supposed to be the silly looking one?

Second, that fall really looks like an NBA flop. If I was a ref, I'd have to fine him. Maybe it's just the angle of the video.

muff528

First, I'm not sure I get it. Is it the dancing guy or is it the person he's dancing behind who is supposed to be the silly looking one?

Second, that fall really looks like an NBA flop. If I was a ref, I'd have to fine him. Maybe it's just the angle of the video.

Designed and engineered to make the video just as it is. I believe the "Fancy Dancing" guy wanted even more escalation.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***First, I'm not sure I get it. Is it the dancing guy or is it the person he's dancing behind who is supposed to be the silly looking one?

Designed and engineered to make the video just as it is. I believe the "Fancy Dancing" guy wanted even more escalation.

If he wanted to escalate that situation, I'm sure he could have told the cops he was making a video and his camera man was standing right over there. They don't like being video'ed. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban