ChrisD

Do smokers have a Negative Personality Type?

Copied this from another post, someone suggested it deserved its own space.

It has been long suggested that smokers are different and may be stuck in some "earlier" stage in their lives where smoking is associated with social acceptance. This "connection" may be why the addiction is particularly difficult to extinguish until the smoker is able to resolve this stage connection.

(Life stages are a popular pysch term used to describe events and personalities. Akin to Erickson / Piage / rogers / et al, etc... They all have phases and stages generally defined by age and maturity.)

If you were to say many can't stop smoking until they grow up, this would be the general idea? :S

Got into an interesting conversation with some smokers the other day about second hand smoke.

They instantly turned the conversation into something about rights and personall freedom.

What I noticed is that when I pointed out that their smoke was causing me to cough, on an airplane no less, somehow this was my problem.

I tried to tell them akin to having a bonefire or spreading anthrax, or plain old their actions were like firing a gun into the air without a care in the world where the round landed, thier actions do infact have a consequence that I can not control. That profoundly affect my health.

The fact that so many raise the freedom argument and loose sight of the second hand smoke does affect others raised an interesting point inside smokers mentality.

And that being:

Smokers don't seem to care about other people! The fact that they value their "freedom" over the negative effects of second hand smoke is a very telling phenomenon. It's kind of like some sort of justification for their actions. Charlie manson, when questioned about the Tate murders was heard to say: "I just thought they were rotten people."

In other words for Mr. Manson, his freedom and rights were more important than any others life or happyness.

While this is an extreem example it does illustrate the held belifes of the smoker that raises the issue of freedom. Smookers belive that they have the right to pass second hand smoke, they justify their actions by saying that the smoke dosen't cause problems, or the smell is the problem of the recipient smellee. Never the less the ability to put yourself in anothers shoes or express any concern for another human being is lost on these people. They just don't care, they are incabable of careing and for the most part they lack empathy and as a consequence for most of us that don't like getting Cancer we are wasting our time speaking with these people!

This is why we passed laws, not to limit anothers personal freedom. But to protect ourselves.

Something to consideer when dealing with a smoker that starts to point out how their "rights" are more important than the consequences of smoke.

They don't give a shit about themselves, why do you expect them to care about others???? Mad

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I smoked from ages 14 to 41. I agree at first it was for social acceptance from my peers. Later in the military most everyone I knew smoked so it was not a problem of offense. After I quit and my lungs cleared up I became extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke, oddly not cigar smoke. It smells like a burning garbage dump to me. I have since assumed it is my responsibility to remove myself from the offending odor.

Negative personality type, I don't think that is a generality. I have met smokers on both sides.

The main thing to remember is that cigarettes are highly addictive and addicts will vehemently defend their addictions.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

+1

I started at 17, quit for I think the 4th time at 25, and that one's stuck. I don't think I was inherently less mature then or more mature now for any reason linked to the smokes, nor do I think it of my friends that smoke now. I do of course call them junkies every time they go out for one, though... ;)

I think my biggest actual criticism of smokers is just how much of a waste of money it is. From time to time I still get a big nostalgic for smoking, to be honest. There's no way in hell I could find room in my budget for a pack a day habit again, though... :S

You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

My beef with smokers is that almost all of them seem to think its ok to litter. I never understand why so many dipshits think its ok to just throw butts in any grass area. I've even had people do this in my backyard.. what the fuck is wrong with these people?

skinnay

My beef with smokers is that almost all of them seem to think its ok to litter. I never understand why so many dipshits think its ok to just throw butts in any grass area. I've even had people do this in my backyard.. what the fuck is wrong with these people?

They were never in the military.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

skinnay

Defense mechanisims, cognative dissonance, stuff like that...

[:/]

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I don't smoke or like the smell of smoke around me, but I really think it's a stretch to think someone smoking near you is any worse than the car aheads exhaust fumes, or any of the other crap in the air, so it doesn't bother me unless I have a cold or something.

skinnay

Maybe you just need a better class of friends.