rushmc

A Bery Big Difference?

I forgot what I learned about statistics as soon as I finished the course, as I had more A&P and chemistry to occupy my feeble mind at the time.
I can see your point though,but I still do not take much merit in any of the publicly published polls that deal with political opinions.
I see polls like these as advertising for a cause,and what is to keep the findings in these polls honest?
The polls say most gun owners want more gun control,yet every gun owner I know(and I know alot) are against more legislation,but are in favor of stricter enforcement of current laws.
What I'm hearing, and what the polls are showing, are not the same.
Why does anyone care wether I accept these types of polling results anyway?Why do they feel I should accept poll results from Fox news?
I'm not a Fox groupie,and I am definitely not a conservative,nor am I a liberal.
I do not trust any polarised individuals or groups.
The anti gun movement is using these polls to insinuate that our representatives went against what the majority wants,yet I feel very well represented by their recent vote on the proposed legislation,and so do most people I've talked to.
I bet they are happy in Texas,Montana, Wyoming,Kentucky,Washington,Alaska and many other states with the decision on the legislation as well.
Polls are not elections,or votes toward legislation,and we do not have to live and abide by them.

Hi tool,

I bet they are happy in Texas,Montana, Wyoming,Kentucky,Washington,Oregon and many other states with the decision on the legislation as well.

You just might lose that bet.

So far a number of cities/counties are passing/or considering passing laws that are far more restrictive than at the state/federal level.

IMO if you are going to state 'facts' ( ya, I know you said "I bet" ) then you might consider doing some homework on the subject.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Oregon - the 3rd most liberal state in the nation

So far a number of cities/counties are passing/or considering passing laws that are far more restrictive than at the state/federal level.

As an aside, in most states "the local approach" is usually defeated in court on grounds of "preemption", because the subject matter is already governed by applicable state law. (Just as federal laws preempt state laws, state laws preempt local laws.)

>Oregon 3rd most liberal state in the nation.

Thats why I'm a washington resident:D:D.
I think oregon gets most of it's liberalism from portlandia.
If you get out into the rural areas especially the eastside of the state,they seem alot less liberal,and alot more conservative.
But I'm neither liberal nor conservative,but rather a realist,or you could call me a libertarian:)
PS I substituted Alaska in place of Oregon for you in my prior post :D

I can see your point though,but I still do not take much merit in any of the publicly published polls that deal with political opinions.

There is even less merit in the anecdotal viewpoint of one person moving in relatively tiny circles.

The polls say most gun owners want more gun control,yet every gun owner I know(and I know alot) are against more legislation,but are in favor of stricter enforcement of current laws.

The polls say most PEOPLE are in favor of more gun control, but not reduced rights. You can do both. Everyone gets a vote, not just the gun owners.

What I'm hearing, and what the polls are showing, are not the same.

You move in circles of people who likely think similarly to you (as do we all) which makes your "evidence" as close to irrelevant as it gets.

Why does anyone care wether I accept these types of polling results anyway?Why do they feel I should accept poll results from Fox news?

Actually I don't. you can believe what you like, however saying that very few people are for gun control is pitifully and demonstrably wrong.

I feel very well represented by their recent vote on the proposed legislation,and so do most people I've talked to.

Of course you do, you probably helped to pay the bribes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/18/pro-gun-groups-donated-senators
Never try to eat more than you can lift

>You probably helped pay the bribes.

Is that how they do it in new zealand as well?
Hell I think the whole world has worked like that,at least since ancient rome anyway.I do not think bribes killed the proposed new legislation though.
I wish I had enough money to make a good bribe,then I could afford to buy more ammo:)
>saying very few people are for gun control.....

I do not recall saying very few people are in favor of gun control.
I know there are alot of people who hate guns.
I do recall saying most people,especially gun owners are probably not in favor of new gun legislation but are in favor of better enforcement of current gun laws. I also think there are alot of people who would like to see better supervision of batshit crazy people who might go postal so to speak, and go on killing sprees using knives, guns,cars,BOMBS(lots of places seeing this),poison gas(tokyo japan),arson,ect....