lawrocket

What are the US problems that need to fixed in the next four years?

We need to find a way to continue to project the image that we are still fighting. While low-intensity conflicts that receive little attention are going to be the most effective against the current threats to our national security the impression that they give is that we are not taking our threats seriously. We need to find ways to project our presence for the psychological impact that they have. Don't forget how emboldened AQ was after a decade of attacks against the US with little in the way of respsones.

One of the biggest concerns I have currently is the uncertain mission of the Army into the future as the US military deployments in Iraq & Afghanistan are ending. The role of strategic landpower as part of the Army's narrative, as well as the overall DoD narrative, is less than clear and needs to be articulated (& POM'd against) sooner rather than later. I'm still undecided wrt the wisdom of the regionally aligned brigade concept. The shift toward regional alignment provide purpose with regards to geography and not capability.

I'm concerned that we will see -- heck, we already are seeing -- a repeat of the post-Vietnam repudiation of counterinsurgency operations and tactics in the GPF. At the same time, too much of the thinking toward insurgency (FM 3-24) has been based on Maoist, Confucian insurgencies rather than recognizing the tribal nature of current situations and likely future ones.

I'm concerned about how the ground forces sustain and foster the high-performing officer and NCO talent of the last 11 years and *effectively* address the 'toxic leader' phenomenon over the next few years.

Concur wrt low intensity conflicts and asymmetric threats -- as well hybrid style (a la Hezbollah 2006) -- being the most likely. The ground forces provide a critical role a conventional deterrent. As awesomely cool as the JSF and LCS are, they do not replace soldiers and Marines as conventional deterrents. Need 'ground pounders'/'door kickers' + FAOs and CAs. More so in "an uncertain future." Army GPF numbers are going to go down; that needs to be done in way that does not erode the conventional deterrent.

Oh yeah ... and then there's sustaining S&T dominance.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Reading about USA problems is like watching people debating the scratches and blemishes on a luxury sports car.
Me? I get to endure a government that is embraced by the world for it's political correctness, and yet that virtue has induced problems of magnitude for all it's citizens, such that the USA is a veritable beacon of brilliant governance by comparison.
Nothing wrong with striving for excellence, but count your blessings as you do it... ;)