ryoder

12yo girl: 1, Intruder: 0

Are you advocating that all children should be armed in order to protect themselves from abuse, rape and murder?

I'm not, but what I can tell you from my own childhood is that of the friends I had when I was school aged, those of us who either were taught to shoot/hunt by our parents or took firearms safety courses very early on and knew the proper handling and dangers of firearms fared much better.

The kid who lived across the street from me, his parents owned a revolver and all they were ever willing to do was tell him to "stay the fuck away from my gun." Contrary to that, he would waive that thing around like it was a water pistol whenever he felt like it and he knew how to take the trigger lock off without the key.

He had zero respect for the thing because he hadn't ever shot a gun, hadn't learned firearm safety and had no real understanding of the dangers. Needless to say it was pretty frustrating - I found myself getting the fuck out of his house on at least one occasion cause I was smart enough to know what he was doing was crazy dangerous.

I have been shooting off and on for almost 20 years and I'm only 30. Makes for a much greater appreciation of these things and the required safety.

Educate and demonstrate consequences. There has to be a very clear understanding of both and today's youth aren't getting very much of either.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Are you advocating that all children should be armed in order to protect themselves from abuse, rape and murder?

Nope. You have a grand way of twisting things. However, to answer you question in a roundabout way....every parent should teach their kids about weapons and weapon safety or at the minimum make such training available to them.

Idealistic? You betchya.

Dad: "Eat your peas."
Kid: "No way!"
Dad: "Eat your peas."
Kid: "Fuck you!" Pulls gun. Bang! Throws peas and Dad in the dumpster.

I wouldn't doubt that that has happened.
:S
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well, if we want to protect teenagers, I don't think it is guns and knives we should be most worried about

You will note that the Nanny Staters aren't concerned with this vital statistic...probably because any solution would have a negative impact on their own lives. It is counter to their obsession with controlling YOUR life.

I wonder how many of these gun-o-phobes have the same attitude about teaching children about sex.

Hey....we are talking about a specific weapons...not that one.
:D:D