Darius11

Population control. All Problems = Too Many people

Ehrlich lost the bet to someone who stated: "humanity would never run out of anything..." [:/]

Additionally, the bet was quite limited in scope (metals prices).

You argue that everything will be ok because of Enlightened self-interest.

How enlightened are the masses? (Hint: Not Very)

I tend to think that Thucydides had the right idea:
"[T]hey devote a very small fraction of time to the consideration of any public object, most of it to the prosecution of their own objects. Meanwhile each fancies that no harm will come to his neglect, that it is the business of somebody else to look after this or that for him; and so, by the same notion being entertained by all separately, the common cause imperceptibly decays"

How enlightened are the masses? (Hint: Not Very)

True. They are choosing between a candidate who pats the wealthy on the back and says "good job." Then the other who looks at the wealthy and says, "Shame on you for not doing more for others."

Neither of them are encouraging achievement among the public. So what do we expect?

"[T]hey devote a very small fraction of time to the consideration of any public object, most of it to the prosecution of their own objects. Meanwhile each fancies that no harm will come to his neglect, that it is the business of somebody else to look after this or that for him; and so, by the same notion being entertained by all separately, the common cause imperceptibly decays"

Thucydides was on to something. Compare a public restroom to a private one. And there you have your answer. A person will work to keep their stuff in good shape. Somebody else's? Not as important.

It's why people will let their dogs shit on other peoples' lawns. And people don't want dogs shitting on their lawns. Imagine a lawn with no owners? It'll have lots of dog shit on it.

No, people do not have the same consideration for other peoples' stuff.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

WTF?
We are trying!

The U.S. military is bangin' away somewhere in the world every day. I mean, WTF, there's only so many soldiers with weapons around, ya' know?

Disclaimer:
for those who would take exception:
:D:P;):):ph34r::

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239