davjohns

Interested in what you find wrong with this...

On the other hand, some "life lessons" may be better taught by experience, rather than traditional classroom instruction. If students at school have to abide by rules of conduct that forbid acts of discrimination based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc they will at least have the experience of many years in an environment where such conduct is unacceptable. I think that's more powerful than having to read a bunch of assignments about "my two dads" or black history month.

Don

Don

I'm really torn on where the line should be drawn. On the one hand the three R's ought to be top priority, and tempting to say they should just do that and leave the rest to me (all parents).

OTOH, there are simply too many lazy, unintelligent, misinformed, corrupt, etc (insert negative adjectives of your choice) parents to trust with helping to make sure each generation (as a whole) gets the opportunities they deserve.

It's definitely one of those gonzo whopper moral dilemmas.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I'm really torn on where the line should be drawn. On the one hand the three R's ought to be top priority, and tempting to say they should just do that and leave the rest to me (all parents).

OTOH, there are simply too many lazy, unintelligent, misinformed, corrupt, etc (insert negative adjectives of your choice) parents to trust with helping to make sure each generation (as a whole) gets the opportunities they deserve.

I'm a fan of your first paragraph.

As for the second? well, those parents will do a poor job (by my subjective standards - see list of negative adjectives of your choice) and the kid will either turn out or not depending on their own merits, no thanks to mom or dad. If someone takes a personal interest to help out, that's great, but the government forcing my viewpoint on that family? I'm not really that arrogant to think "my way or it's the end of civilization as we know it".

I've seen too many families where I thought the parents were doing a horrible job and the kids turned out just fine, anyway (and those that didn't, I think it was about 50/50) - I just don't know anyone qualified to make that decision for someone else's family. Nor do I think a 'committee' would do any better.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>On second thoughts Bill, Kwanzaa should be in the list of approved American holidays
>as it fits all the criteria.

I'm thinking no "approved American holidays." Give kids ten days off a year and let them choose when to take them.

That would be a better prep for post school life but they'd probably end up not taking them and wanting to role them over at the end of the year!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'm a fan of your first paragraph.

As for the second? well, those parents will do a poor job (by my subjective standards - see list of negative adjectives of your choice) and the kid will either turn out or not depending on their own merits, no thanks to mom or dad. If someone takes a personal interest to help out, that's great, but the government forcing my viewpoint on that family?

Seems reasonable to me.

Crime comes from economic disparity.

Economic disparity comes from lower paying jobs and unemployment

Unemployment and lower paying jobs come from less educational attainment.

Educational attainment comes from how your father did before you.

We need to do something to break that cycle .

>If someone takes a personal interest to help out, that's great, but the government
> forcing my viewpoint on that family? I'm not really that arrogant to think "my way or
>it's the end of civilization as we know it".

Nor is a kid learning about evolution (or climate change) "the end of civilization as we know it." A core curriculum including basic math, science, writing etc isn't too hard to put together, and barring religious or political nuts, is really pretty inoffensive.

>I've seen too many families where I thought the parents were doing a horrible job
>and the kids turned out just fine . . .

Of course. And I am alsp sure you've seen kids taught by "a bunch of strangers that think they are smarter than everyone else" (your words) who turned out just fine. However, in general you see far fewer extremes in teachers. You're generally not going to get Nobel laureates, but you're also not going to get screaming, abusive ignoramuses - whereas you will get that whole spectrum in parents.

> I am alsp sure you've seen kids taught by "a bunch of strangers that think they are smarter than everyone else" (your words) who turned out just fine. However, in general you see far fewer extremes in teachers.

NOT my words - I'm wasn't referring to the teachers. I was referring to the religious, anti-religious, and politically charge people that try to hijack the curriculums.

A core curriculum including basic math, science, writing etc isn't too hard to put together, and barring religious or political nuts, is really pretty inoffensive.

this I agree with, however, apparently, the concept of what most people consider 'nuts' is not so cut and dried when the populace is now swayed 50/50 by political tripe. Case in point in this thread, apparently I personally have no issue teaching evolution theory (since I took it off of your list of wacky subjects as not in the same ball park as the rest of your examples including climate change and gender training) - yet you seem to want to put it in the "nuts" category along with those two.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants