Cornholio

B License study tips??

Ok, I have looked in the past archives and searched for a while and could not find specific B license study tips. I think the search engine has a problem with the single letter "b" since it pulled up license several times but "b license" or +b +license does not seem to work either.

anyhow.. I am planning on taking my B license test this weekend, and wanted to know what specifically do I need to know in the SIM ? I have read it cover to cover over the past few months, but I still want to be prepared. I already have my water training done, 60+ jumps, 10+ accuracy jumps, and freefall time.

Any specific sections I should pay attention to? The new SIM does not have the specific wording of what to study...instead it has Categories... bah....

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Ok, I have looked in the past archives and searched for a while and could not find specific B license study tips. ....

Check out: http://ranchskydive.com/safety/tb_article4.htm

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I just took mine- and I really didn't study all that much- If you look in your copy of the SIM you'll see a heading on the first pages asking "who needs this?" or something to that effect - Any section that says it's for people studying for licenses, read it. The I took wasn't that hard, I missed one question. The test is written (at least mine was) in a manner where if you have a good general knowledge it should be easy to make the right choice-

Easy Does It

I'm going to be taking my B exam soon also, so I appreciate the link. The new SIM is nowhere near as friendly as the old one for people taking exams after the A.

Also, what is the deal with the maneuvers part of the B-license requirement. I am pretty sure the "style set" or whatever they call it can be replaced with certain RW for the C, but what about the B?

Thanks.

...The new SIM is nowhere near as friendly as the old one for people taking exams after the A.

Also, what is the deal with the maneuvers part of the B-license requirement. I am pretty sure the "style set" or whatever they call it can be replaced with certain RW for the C, but what about the B?

First...The new SIM isn't really the new SIM anymore. The copy you have is probably dated 2001, and will be replaced within the next few weeks with a brand new version approved by the BOD in July. USPA is working to get the material assembled and in the field by early September.

Second...The "B" license requirement of a figure-8, backloop, figure-8, backloop is mandatory. You should be doing these maneuvers as part of your student training and must be able to demonstrate this level of control. Heck, the "A" level requirement is backloop, frontloop, barrel roll, all within 60 degrees of heading, so the "B" requirements shouldn't be that hard for you.

The "C" level style requirement can be replaced with four points on a four-way or larger formation.

-Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Heck, the "A" level requirement is backloop, frontloop, barrel roll, all within 60 degrees of heading, so the "B" requirements shouldn't be that hard for you.

Nope, the A requirement is figure 8, backloop, figure 8, dock on JM, track and pull.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Heck, the "A" level requirement is backloop, frontloop, barrel roll, all within 60 degrees of heading, so the "B" requirements shouldn't be that hard for you.

Nope, the A requirement is figure 8, backloop, figure 8, dock on JM, track and pull.

Nope. Nope. There are two current "A" license cards available. The "fold out" version lists a check dive with a requirement of backloop, figure 8, dock from 20 feet, breakoff, track 100 feet, pack, oral quiz. The single card lists control on all axes with a backloop, frontloop, barrel roll all within 60 degrees of heading, then a check dive and an oral quiz. Local versions of the check dive will vary.

Additional requirements are listed in the ISP, but the ISP is just a recommended program, and is NOT required for a license. Of course I would be suspicious of any program that didn't require docks and tracking, as well as coordinated turns and disorienting maneuvers as part of the "A" level training.

-Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Ok, I have looked in the past archives and searched for a while and could not find specific B license study tips. ....

Check out: http://ranchskydive.com/safety/tb_article4.htm

-tom buchanan

For folks who're looking for this now, the new link is
http://theblueskyranch.com/sta/tb4.htm

-Kendal

"Moderation in everything - even in moderation!"