dreamdancer

Occupy Wall Street Protests Poised to Grow Rapidly With Union Support

>they were probably wondering why the protesters couldn't just eat cake...

They probably didn't even care. Why should they? Those same protesters will go home, order pizza and charge it on their Bank of America credit card while living in their Chase-Manhattan financed home. And the bankers will buy more champagne to watch them come back and protest some more.

This weekend, there were 700 arrests in Manhattan as occupiers took to the streets stopping traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge. Protesters charge that the police encouraged the march as a way of emptying the park and rounding up a large number of protestors and their leadership. The police led protesters onto an onramp on the Brooklyn Bridge where they were later corralled and carted away.

Protestors from the global justice movement which staged the successful 1999 WTO protests in Settle, which forced the end of the “Millennium Round” of global trade negotiations can give you some advice based on subsequent battles across the country. Police will infiltrate you by the dozens. They will identify and arrest your leaders without cause and hold them for as long as it takes. They will lure groups of you away for the sole purpose of corralling you and arresting you. Stay calm and protest on.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/10/03-8
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

>WOW, sounds like a Conservative position

The conservative position would be to give up, get on the Internet and blame Obama.

Wow, the irony factor here is off the chart. You do know that this thread was started by a guy that is not a conservative?

What some can’t accept, they pretend not to understand. And the political class can’t accept that the common demand of the current protest wave is for democratic revolution. We want them gone. We want power.

We haven’t been secretive about our goals. The Wisconsin Wave was launched in February as a “democracy movement.” Occupy Wall Street calls for an “American Revolution.” The October2011.org occupation of Freedom Plaza in D.C. intends to “Create a New World.” Perhaps, as Thomas Paine once penned, “The birthday of a new world is at hand.”

Democracy is a simple idea. It means “the people rule.” The promise of the United States is democracy. The reality is that corporate elites rule. The contradiction between the promise and reality of America has produced a movement to make the promise the new reality.

We believe it our birthright to directly participate in power. Elections were always a poor substitute for participatory democracy. And elections delegate power from the people to a tiny elite easily browbeaten or bought off by major corporations. Most Americans intuitively know this.

And we have an alternative. A new democratic economy is growing amidst the collapse of the old one. The cooperative sector --made up of coops, credit unions, and community supported and community owned enterprises-- now includes over one third of the American people. Having tasted real democracy, after having been force fed the fake formula, millions are demanding more of the real thing.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/10/03-6

Maybe it's just me but I cannot imagine how the protesters have time to spend standing in a park. Do they just burn vacation days at work? Or are a percentage of them already unemployed?

I actively protest several corporations by purchasing products from their competitors. It seems so much easier and I don't really have to travel anywhere or make signs.

>the bankers probably feel as if they can't lose... (and then go back to
>drinking champagne)

They can't - because the protesters are not willing to do what it takes to make sure they lose. They are complaining on the one hand and supporting them 100% on the other.

we know where you stand - with the 1% and their teabaggers :)
(will that be the side of history - we'll see)

Ah, the mysterious and unnamed "we." Actually you only know where I don't stand--and that would be in the street demanding traffic to stop for me. Democracy doesn't require that.

>You do know that this thread was started by a guy that is not a conservative?

This may really bake your noodle - but there are more than two sides to some issues. Conservatives (at least the rabid ones) tend to give up, get on the internet and bitch about Obama. Some of them don't even WANT jobs because that would remove a justification to slam Obama with. And here we have the pro-labor anti-bank types who go to meaningless protests and continue supporting the very people they dislike, while making a lot of noise and making themselves feel better.

>the bankers probably feel as if they can't lose... (and then go back to
>drinking champagne)

They can't - because the protesters are not willing to do what it takes to make sure they lose. They are complaining on the one hand and supporting them 100% on the other.

nothing ever changes then...

(well not very often - just every century or so)

>nothing ever changes then...

Oh, things can definitely change. Get all those people and have them cut up their credit cards, buy out their mortgages and withdraw their money from the worst of the banks, and banks would be falling all over themselves to prove how much they wanted to help the general public, not like that evil Chase Manhattan.

Willing to do that?

good communication will be vital...

The jubilant tweets that the police were allowing marchers into the traffic lanes have turned to fear and anger at what many perceive as a trap. Surprisingly quickly, facilitators call "mic check!" and ask anyone who has a smartphone to go to the base of the bridge and record what they see--including clear instructions on a specific app that can be downloaded to stream video instantly to the Web.

From the park, we briefly return to the base of the bridge to see a mass of police officers blocking the entrance to the traffic lanes. The crowd gathered there is mostly pointing cameras and smartphones at the police, but with no one moving on or off the bridge, the scene is tense. Protesters call "Join us!" and "Police are the 99 percent!" at the officers, who stand impassive, making no moves to arrest anyone or to allow anyone, on foot or on vehicles, from either direction, past. In the rain, we return to Liberty Plaza and the media tent, hoping for better news updates, and check updates on our phones.

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/674826/%22they%27re_arresting_us_one_by_one%22%3A_700_thrown_in_jail_as_wall_st._protest_grows_--_labor_declares_support/

>nothing ever changes then...

Oh, things can definitely change. Get all those people and have them cut up their credit cards, buy out their mortgages and withdraw their money from the worst of the banks, and banks would be falling all over themselves to prove how much they wanted to help the general public, not like that evil Chase Manhattan.

Willing to do that?

you first as you're so sure it will work :)
(meanwhile the protesters will get on with the real work and the bankers will continue drinking champagne - until the day they can't)

>you first as you're so sure it will work

I don't dislike the banks so I have no reason to try. What about you?

>meanwhile the protesters will get on with the real work and the bankers will continue
>drinking champagne - until the day they can't

Meanwhile the bankers will continue to drink champagne and the protesters will keep providing it.

>you first as you're so sure it will work

I don't dislike the banks so I have no reason to try. What about you?

i don't really think the protesters should be taking 'advice' from those on the bankers side - that would just be as silly as your proposal...

now perhaps this 'revolt' will fizzle out and perhaps it won't. with the western world falling into economic stagnation and the young bearing the brunt - worldwide - of the bankers credit crunch there is every chance that it will grow as the greek protests grew (and which have now forced greece to default).

Meanwhile the bankers will continue to drink champagne.

until the day they run out...

A US double-dip is not yet a foregone conclusion. America’s M3 money supply is last growing decently again at 5.6pc, which would in normal circumstances signal some recovery next year. The latest GDP and confidence data in the US have not been as bad as feared.

Ajay Kapur from Deutsche Bank said investors have to decide whether the market slump of recent weeks is a “panic like the LTCM sell-off in late-1998 that proved to be a great buying opportunity, or the first leg in what could eventually be a pervasive global recession. We believe it is the latter.”

He said the triple warnings from US leading indicators (ECRI, the Philly Fed’s 'Anxious Index', and the earnings revision index) all point to recession, while China is “probably over-tightening” into a global slump.

In Europe, policy is still on deflationary settings, with Italy and Spain having to tighten fiscal yet further to meet their budget targets. The European Central Bank is overseeing a collapse in real M1 deposits in Italy of around 6pc, annualized over the last six-months.

Michael Darda from MKM Partners said the ECB has made such a hash of monetary policy that nominal GDP for the whole eurozone may even start to contract.

That is astonishing. If correct, there is no hope of averting a debt spiral in Italy and Spain. Any such outcome will test the EU’s bail-out machinery to destruction within months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/8802462/Protectionism-beckons-as-leaders-push-world-into-Depression.html

>i don't really think the protesters should be taking 'advice' from those on the bankers side

Who are you referring to? I'm not on the banker's side. I'm not against them. They're people, just like you - some good, some bad.

>now perhaps this 'revolt' will fizzle out and perhaps it won't.

Whether it does or not doesn't really matter. It doesn't affect bankers, so it won't force a change.

>with the western world falling into economic stagnation and the young
>bearing the brunt - worldwide - of the bankers credit crunch . . . .

Oh, if that's what they are protesting, then that might just work - but not in the way they intend!

"WE PROTEST! WE PROTEST! DOWN WITH BANKERS! WE DEMAND MORE CREDIT! WE DEMAND THAT . . . uh . . . you let us give you more money . . . uh . . . wait . . ."

From your own link:

Also from my own link: Obama's 2008 campaign

I gave you the correct data for donations by G-S over the past decade.

Unattributed numbers, yes.

www.followthemoney.org/database/topcontributor.phtml?u=1130&y=0

Ah, no wonder you were confused...you were looking in a STATE politics site.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

From your own link:

Also from my own link: Obama's 2008 campaign

I gave you the correct data for donations by G-S over the past decade.

Unattributed numbers, yes.

www.followthemoney.org/database/topcontributor.phtml?u=1130&y=0

Ah, no wonder you were confused...you were looking in a STATE politics site.

Showing overwhelming support for the GOP.

There's no way you can prove that G-S is some sort of liberal organization.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.