shropshire

AAA -> AA+

Slippery slope folks .... CYA

• AAA: UK, France, Germany, Canada, Australia
  • AA+: USA, Belgium, New Zealand
  • AA-: Japan, China

• I call that a "slippery quote." Sounds bad on paper, but while the equity markets were diving last week, and everyone was worried about our credit rating, my favorite T-bill mutual fund, Barclays TIPS, had a share value gain and paid a 6%+ APR div. on 8/1.

Rating? We don't need no stinkin' rating!

(sarcasm) Evil capitalist scum. How dare you make a profit at times like these? There ya go, contributing to the nation's wealth imbalance. You should be writing check to the fed and giving them back every penny. (/sarcasm)

Dude, I'm Captain Stan--I bleed red, white, and blue. What could be more patriotic than investing in America when everybody else is kicking us around? Write a check? Sure. Uncle Sam will get some of that interest back when I pay my income tax.:)

Dude, I'm Captain Stan--I bleed red, white, and blue. ....:)

So, French or even British then:P:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Liberian? :S

You boys are soooo funny!:S I'm gonna laugh all the way to the bank.B| My T-Bills are up 1.37% today for a 52 week high while the US stock markets had their biggest one-day loss in over 2 1/2 years--the S&P 500 down 6.6% today.

Smart investors know that the US is still one of the best credit risks in the world in spite of our president's false threat to default on our debt. Fear-mongering for political gain.

Of course, how much lower can they go and for how long? They have to come up SOMETIME. If yields go up !% you'll see about an 8-9% drop in T-bill values.

The idea of profit-taking right now is indeed tempting. I think all sectors are eventually in for a shit-storm, so I'm only holding short-term, inflation-hedge/protected, and interest-hedge debt.

Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't Barclay's a UK company?

It is a global company operating in 50 countries and is indeed headquartered in London. For my money they offer the best management of funds that invest in US debt.

But BarCap took it on the chin in 2008-09, and the company ended up having to sell off Barclays Global Investors for pseudo cash to Blackrock in order to shore up the cash. Gave up iShares and 2T in assets.

But BarCap took it on the chin in 2008-09, and the company ended up having to sell off Barclays Global Investors for pseudo cash

And yet...they just keep making money for me.

Gave up iShares and 2T in assets.

And yet...iShares is still under the Barclays banner!?

to Blackrock in order to shore up the cash.

And yet...I own Blackrock shares too so it's a wash.

Gave up iShares and 2T in assets.

And yet...iShares is still under the Barclays banner!?

Not really. But Barclays didn't take all cash for the deal, still owns a considerable piece of Blackrock (and funny enough, so did BofA). But now they only get that portion, and no operational rights over the growing ETF brand, which is close to passing a trillion dollars by itself.