JohnRich

Woman gets jury trial for displaying plastic testicles on truck

You're describing 'bull-dogging/steer wrestling' and 'wild bronc riding'. Yes, I've seen those events many, many times. The way you described it sounded more like some kind of slaughter. The Prescott rodeo is a PRCA sanctioned rodeo.
Pecos, Texas is still arguing with Prescott for the title of oldest rodeo!:D

Chuck

Are you really saying that calves aren't tackled to the ground in a REAL rodeo, or that horses aren't pounced on by three dudes?? What rodeo have you been doing for 20 years??:S
I saw the world's oldest rodeo, I'm pretty sure it was legit.
http://www.worldsoldestrodeo.com/

Sounds like the wild horse race - an exhibition event, and one that places the cowboys in a lot more danger than the horse - a kick can kill a man, where a horse being kicked grunts and walks off.

The calves aren't 'tackled to the ground', but flanked after being roped. Or did you mean steer wrestling, which aren't calves and aren't 'tackled to the ground' either?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Are you really saying that calves aren't tackled to the ground in a REAL rodeo, or that horses aren't pounced on by three dudes?? What rodeo have you been doing for 20 years??:S
I saw the world's oldest rodeo, I'm pretty sure it was legit.
http://www.worldsoldestrodeo.com/

Sounds like the wild horse race - an exhibition event, and one that places the cowboys in a lot more danger than the horse - a kick can kill a man, where a horse being kicked grunts and walks off.

The calves aren't 'tackled to the ground', but flanked after being roped. Or did you mean steer wrestling, which aren't calves and aren't 'tackled to the ground' either?

I was really having a hard time trying to figure-out what he was describing... so, I WAG'd it.

Chuck

Is this opposite day, or is it just me?!? Ok, what I meant to say is that the calves are lovingly caressed, then gently beaten, and put in their place. You know, like the women folk back in the day. Next 3 grown men tenderly whisper sweet nothings into a horse's ear, while ropes are gently placed around it's neck, and it is placed on the ground so that the biggest man of all can daintily place himself on top of it.:S
There, how was that??

Sarcasm noted.
I think that a lot of folks have blown rodeo way out of proportion. It's a part of our history of the American West only 'toned-down'. As far as I'm concerned, it's like anything else... if you don't like it don't do it, watch it or go near it. Try wrestling a thousand pound steer and see who's tougher... my bet is on the steer.

Chuck

Sarcasm noted.
I think that a lot of folks have blown rodeo way out of proportion. It's a part of our history of the American West only 'toned-down'. As far as I'm concerned, it's like anything else... if you don't like it don't do it, watch it or go near it. Try wrestling a thousand pound steer and see who's tougher... my bet is on the steer. Chuck

I admit to knowing little enough deep detail about modern rodeo that I will keep an open mind until I learn more.

But FWIW, the "historical tradition" argument is not always the most persuasive. For example, similar arguments have been used in defense of fox hunting and bullfighting; but just because these have been "traditional" activities does not mean that they are not deemed cruel by the standards of modern industrial nations. (I realize that rodeo is not a blood sport like the others, but I hope you see my point re: needing to be cautious about using that argument.)

Sarcasm noted.
I think that a lot of folks have blown rodeo way out of proportion. It's a part of our history of the American West only 'toned-down'. As far as I'm concerned, it's like anything else... if you don't like it don't do it, watch it or go near it. Try wrestling a thousand pound steer and see who's tougher... my bet is on the steer. Chuck

I admit to knowing little enough deep detail about modern rodeo that I will keep an open mind until I learn more.

But FWIW, the "historical tradition" argument is not always the most persuasive.

Is that why we can't burn heretics at stake any more? Or throw Christians to the lions?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sarcasm noted.

But FWIW, the "historical tradition" argument is not always the most persuasive. For example, similar arguments have been used in defense of fox hunting and bullfighting; but just because these have been "traditional" activities does not mean that they are not deemed cruel by the standards of modern industrial nations. (I realize that rodeo is not a blood sport like the others, but I hope you see my point re: needing to be cautious about using that argument.)

Thank you for pointing that out. I do appreciate it. I guess, I'm not very good at arguing. I ain't no lawyer! :D:D
I've loved rodeo since I was a little kid. I've met many rodeo contestants over the years and most of them have 'big names' and from what I know of them, not one would intentionally hurt any of the rough-stock, calves or steers. Freddy Whitfield (Tie-Down roping champion) really stands-out in that regard. Those animals are referred to by the cowboys as 'athletes' and respected.
Too many animal rights zealots have spread too many lies about rodeo and it's not fair. They take the 'exception' and make it the rule.
Funny thing about all this... everybody wants to be a cowboy!

Chuck