hwt

Redistribution of Grades

I think my posting history makes it pretty clear where I stand on direct wealth redistribution and even I'll get in line to tell you this is a stupid analogy.

To elaborate... the problem with the analogy is that you don't go to school to get grades, you go to school to get an education. If you were to audit a class and do all the same coursework/studying as if you were enrolled, you won't get a grade but you'll learn the same stuff. The grade is just a measuring stick of what you're getting out of the class, it's like a receipt.

In contrast, you go to work for money. Social programs redestribute money not a measuring stick of how much money you got out of having worked. You don't collect up the receipts for all the cool stuff wealthy people are able to buy and give them to poor people, that'd be completely asinine.

If the analogy was an announcement that there were plans to redistribute "learning" then it would at least sort of work, but that's nonsensical, this isn't The Matrix.

Grades in themselves are not a finite resource. They are simply a measure of quality.

If 100 people do a great job and get A's that has no impact on the grade's value.

If 10 do a great job, 30 do average, 40 below average and 20 poor and they still all get A's the value of the grade is basically nullified.

As long as you're careful with the use of the word "value" to mean usefulness or meaning and not material worth, then yes, I'd agree.

I laugh at the image of having a stack of report cards sitting next to me at my desk. When someone walks in to my office and says, "We need your help to figure out a problem with widget xyz" I reach into the stack, pull out one with a few As on it, crumple it up into a ball and throw it at them. They then catch it, thank me, and leave.

>I agree, but can't figure out how this one even remotely addresses the thread.

Just replying to your and HWT's "little girl" analogies.

I'm wondering what would happen if we actually put a little girl in charge of economic policy. Apart from tax breaks for pony farms and Hannah Montana, obviously.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think my posting history makes it pretty clear where I stand on direct wealth redistribution and even I'll get in line to tell you this is a stupid analogy.

To elaborate... the problem with the analogy is that you don't go to school to get grades, you go to school to get an education. If you were to audit a class and do all the same coursework/studying as if you were enrolled, you won't get a grade but you'll learn the same stuff. The grade is just a measuring stick of what you're getting out of the class, it's like a receipt.

In contrast, you go to work for money. Social programs redestribute money not a measuring stick of how much money you got out of having worked. You don't collect up the receipts for all the cool stuff wealthy people are able to buy and give them to poor people, that'd be completely asinine.

If the analogy was an announcement that there were plans to redistribute "learning" then it would at least sort of work, but that's nonsensical, this isn't The Matrix.

Grades in themselves are not a finite resource. They are simply a measure of quality.

If 100 people do a great job and get A's that has no impact on the grade's value.

If 10 do a great job, 30 do average, 40 below average and 20 poor and they still all get A's the value of the grade is basically nullified.

I f you get average grades you will not be going to Harvard or Yale or any of the other elite schools who look very close at your grades and you will not have the earning potential a Harvard Grad would have...
nice try :D

I f you get average grades you will not be going to Harvard or Yale or any of the other elite schools who look very close at your grades and you will not have the earning potential a Harvard Grad would have...
nice try :D

True but good grades at a school with low or no stnadards for their grading scale isn't going to get you in there either. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

True but good grades at a school with low or no stnadards for their grading scale isn't going to get you in there either. ;)

that's not 'fair' we should pass a law against that type of discrimination against bad schools - it's not the fault of the kids, it's the schools not getting enough money

:ph34r:

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

that's not 'fair' we should pass a law against that type of discrimination against bad schools - it's not the fault of the kids, it's the schools not getting enough money