Dustino

Parachute Man. #1 to learn about parachute systems as a student?

The Parachute Manuals are directed more for the professional rigger as reference material. Volume #1 focuses mainly on older round parachute designs. Vol. #2 focuses on the 'modern' Ram air parachutes.

I would recommend The Skydiver's Handbook (you can buy it @ amazon.com) as a good starting point in addition to reading the USPA SIM.

In addition, try reading container and parachute manufacturer's websites like the PD website. They usually contain a product information/ FAQ page and PDF's of the owners manuals. Most of what you really need to know you can learn from the product manuals, USPA SIM, and your skydiving instructors.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I agree with Samurai 136. As any who has studied the Manuals for a rigger's ticket will atest, there is way too much detail for a beginner. While working towards my A license my dad bought me the The Skydiver's Handbook and that was much more the level of information I needed then. Learning about the gear though is a great step towards becoming a safer jumper. Blue Skies Dustino.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

I would also suggest going to your local dropzone on a slow day and talk to the insturctors. They do this for a living and if they are not up in the air jumping, they would probably be a fantastic resource to get some "hands on" knowledge of how the gear works.

Mark Klingelhoefer