divnswoop

Seat-belt usage?

It's nice to see an A license jumper backing this up. My biggest beef with teaching AFF is stressing the importance of seatbelts and helmets in groundschool and later boarding the aircraft to see EXPERIENCED jumpers laying back laughing and talking with no helmet on and no seatbelt on and having to remind them to put them on. I also think that all helmets should be on as I have been smacked in the ribs by a camera helmet that was attatched to a chest strap as it swung around during turbulence.
Edited to add. When I started doing camera I to used to go for that awsome take off shot, until someone told me about an otter going in, the authorities found 22 strands of DNA on a camera helmet. Sorry I don't have details but I have never forgoten the word DNA assotiated w/ skydiving.
Share Everything !!!

A true crash (as opposed to a "crash-landing") will generate accelerations of hundreds of "G"s, and no seat belt made will make a difference. Even if the belt held, it would create massive internal injuries in the person restrained..

I think that the main reason that seat belts are there are to keep everyone from moving around the aircraft during an emergency. If the plane is bouncing around in the air and the people are bouncing around in the cabin, the pilot is going to have an even rougher go at stablilizing the plane than if they were all strapped in and sitting still.

In the event of a crash landing it may also help reduce injuries. If it is a full on crash... as you say, seatbelts aren't going to help much.

Ever seen a twin otter stall on takeoff? I have. And the pilot was able to regain control and continue taking off instead of plowing into the ground wing tip first. If everyone was bouncing around inside the cabin there most likely would have been a different result.

Helmets? Wear it on your head... That's where it was intended to be. I still use a frap hat and that is strapped to my chest strap during take off. Don't think it's going to do much damage to the person next to me. And I don't want to be concious for the fire....:S
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."