CanuckInUSA

Media Manipulation

I have an example of what I think is media manipulation (maybe you disagree with me). On the evening news a few nights ago the mainstream media decided to air short a video clip from an opposition politician. Seems fine and dandy, boy that opposition politician sure seems smart, maybe I should vote for him. But hold in a second ... is this what the politician actual said? Or did the media edit out a 2 second portion of what the politician said? How could we know what the politician said. Unless we are there in person to hear what was said, we can only go by what the media wants us to know. So what happens when the media purposely edit clips out from the middle of a speech and then presents this as news? You be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egy2POCd8tM

So is this a clear case of media manipulation? Can we trust what the media is telling us? What happens when the media has an agenda to pursue?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>Or did the media edit out a 2 second portion of what the politician said?

The media edited out (probably) 30 minutes of what the politician said.

>So is this a clear case of media manipulation?

No more so than the edits they made on what Robert Gates said.

But overall, yes, if you listen only to what the media says you get their view of what's important - and that may not (likely will not be) the same thing that's important to you.

There has been clear cut cases of the media doctoring shit, but I don't know if this is it without seeing the whole thing.

They may have edited it for clarity. He may have meant Robert Gates and said Bill on accident. Without the whole interview it's hard to say. Is Bill Gates and Microsoft working on a project with an F-35 in it by chance?

Still some un-answered questions. I think the media can clarify things, but hey shouldn't be making shit up or change the meaning through selective editing as seen with MSNBC here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoikNVzesGc

There is editing for time and clarification, and editing to downright lie and deceive.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything