airdvr

I'm beginning to re-think my views on taxation.

Maybe this will assist you:

met·a·phor
–noun
a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our god.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile ( def. 1 ) .
something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dreamdancer, Dec 29th:
>or keep building palaces while the people starve?

From Dreamdancer, Dec 31st:

>Val Traore, the radiant and gregarious CEO of the Food Bank of South
>Jersey. . . "We do not have starvation here in the United States."

Well, we've solved that problem pretty quickly!

goodness me. 'palaces' and 'starving' wasn't literal. i think you're taking too much comfort that the world's superpower is managing to keep its citizens from actual starvation. those on the 'breadline' are increasing and the super rich get richer.
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

>i think you're taking too much comfort that the world's superpower
>is managing to keep its citizens from actual starvation.

And I think you're so used to easy access to large quantities of cheap, safe food that you forget what an accomplishment that really is. Being able to feed all our own people IS an incredible achievement, one we should be proud of. Until very recently most people could not take that for granted.

You may think they all deserve steak and donuts. That's a good goal too. Good luck to you! Let us know how many people you can provide that for.

>i think you're taking too much comfort that the world's superpower
>is managing to keep its citizens from actual starvation.

And I think you're so used to easy access to large quantities of cheap, safe food that you forget what an accomplishment that really is.

it's the backbone of any civilisation. it's like saying look at me 'i can walk'. meanwhile in europe and the us more and more citizens are being forced onto the breadline. not looking good for any of us.

(apart from the super rich who will just make more money)

>it's the backbone of any civilisation.

No, it's not. Starvation has been endemic for centuries in most of the really notable civilizations throughout history - the Roman Empire, the British Empire, the Chinese dynasties, the Russian monarchies.

Let's look at just one more recent episode. In the 1870's, while India was part of the British Empire, about 10 million people starved to death during a famine there. That's 10 million. That would be 3% of our total population. We would be horrified if that happened here.

And when it does happen in other countries today, we ship them tons of grain to keep _them_ from starving to death. Not only can we feed our own people, we feed a big chunk of the starving in the rest of the world. And that is absolutely something to be proud of.

>it's like saying look at me 'i can walk'.

Well, like I said, if you'd like to run instead - to get steak and donuts to everyone - then that's great. Go for it!

No, it's not.

yes it is. 'bread and circuses' is an old roman saying.

the indian and irish famines were both within civilisations with plenty of food. there was a choice not to feed the particular groups that starved.

>the world remembers what happened after katrina...

Yep.

In the 1930's, millions of people in the US starved to death because of a famine due to a collapsed economy and a foolish agricultural policy.

During Katrina, the worst natural disaster to ever hit New Orleans, no one died of starvation.

That's progress.

No, it's not.

yes it is. 'bread and circuses' is an old roman saying.

the indian and irish famines were both within civilisations with plenty of food. there was a choice not to feed the particular groups that starved.

you may be misunderstanding that remark. Food was given out at the Colesiem, but it wasn't successfully fixing the problem. More like a bandaid.

In addition to the Indian famine that Bill mentions, China has two in the 20th century that killed between 40 and 65M people.

In the 1930's, millions of people in the US starved to death because of a famine due to a collapsed economy and a foolish agricultural policy.

and there was food there to feed them all...

Analyzing the period of the Great Depression in the USA, the author notes a remarkable similarity with events taking place in the USSR during the 1930s. He even introduced a new term for the USA – defarming – an analogue to dispossession of wealthy farmers in the Soviet Union. “Few people know about five million American farmers (about a million families) whom banks ousted from them lands because of debts. The US government did not provide them with land, work, social aid, pension – nothing,” the article says.

“Every sixth American farmer was affected by famine. People were forced to leave their homes and go to nowhere without any money and any property. They found themselves in the middle of nowhere enveloped in massive unemployment, famine and gangsterism.”

The then state of affairs in the US society can be seen in Peter Jackson’s movie King Kong. The movie starts with scenes of the Great Depression and tells the story of an actress who did not eat for three days and tried to steal an apple from a street vendor. There is food in the city, but many people had no money to buy it in unemployment-paralyzed New York. People starve in the streets against the background of stores selling a variety of foodstuffs.

At the same time, the US government tried to get rid of redundant foodstuffs, which vendors could not sell. Market rules were observed strictly: unsold goods should always be categorized as redundant and they could not be given away to the poor because it could cause damage to businesses. A variety of methods was used to destroy redundant food. They burnt crops, drowned them in the ocean or plowed 10 million hectares of harvesting fields. “About 6.5 million pigs were killed at that time,” the researcher wrote.

http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/19-05-2008/105255-famine-0/

During Katrina, the worst natural disaster to ever hit New Orleans, no one died of starvation.

That's progress.

you might think what happened was progress...

That's progress.

you might think what happened was progress...

you're suggesting what...should we have fed some people to the alligators? Stop reptile starvation?

>and there was food there to feed them all . . .

Well, reading an article from Pravda on the failures of the US economic system is a bit like watching an Al-Jazeera piece on how the Jews are killing Arab babies and drinking their blood.

But in any case, yes - often famine is the result of horrendous mismanagement of resources. Again, given that people in the US do not starve any more, we seem to have solved much of that problem. And again, that's progress.

>and there was food there to feed them all . . .

Well, reading an article from Pravda on the failures of the US economic system is a bit like watching an Al-Jazeera piece on how the Jews are killing Arab babies and drinking their blood.

a link to the al-jazeera story please...

But in any case, yes - often famine is the result of horrendous mismanagement of resources.

some sort of breakdown of civilisation...

(normal civilised service to resume shortly)

The CEOs of the mortgage banks determine MBA policy and they are not about to tell the FBI that they are the primary source of the epidemic of mortgage fraud. Similarly, they are not about to make criminal referrals, which might cause the FBI to investigate why some lenders made loans that were overwhelmingly fraudulent. MBA members virtually never made criminal referrals even though they made millions of fraudulent loans. Why don’t the victims make criminal referrals and help the FBI protect them from the frauds?

Why did an industry, home mortgage lending, which had traditionally been able to keep losses from all sources to roughly one percent suddenly begin to suffer 80-100 percent fraud incidence on “liar’s” loans? Why would an honest mortgage lender make “liar’s” loans knowing that doing so would produce intense “adverse selection” and a “negative expected value”? They would not do so. They were not mandated to do so by federal regulation or law. They were not encouraged to do so by federal regulation or law. They did so because their CEOs decided they would do so in order to maximize fictional income and real bonuses. The CEOs increased the number of liar’s loans they made after they were warned by the FBI that there was an “epidemic” of mortgage fraud and the FBI predicted it would cause an “economic crisis” were it not contained. The CEOs increased their liar’s loans after the MBA’s own anti-fraud experts stated that they deserved the name “liar’s” loans because they were pervasively fraudulent and after those experts said that “liar’s” loans were “an open invitation to fraudsters.” The industry’s formal euphemisms for liar’s loans were “alt-a” and “stated income” loans. None of this makes sense for honest CEOs.

http://www.alternet.org/story/149365/are_we_going_to_let_the_biggest_financial_fraudsters_keep_their_money_and_avoid_jail_time/?page=entire

>so we can expect a big world war to rebalance things?

===================
I go down to Speaker's corner, I'm a thunderstruck
They got free speech! Tourists! Police in trucks!
Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong
There's a protest singer, he's singing a protest song!

He says "They wanna have a war to keep their factories
They wanna have a war to keep us on our knees
They wanna have a war to stop us buying Japanese
They wanna have a war to stop industrial disease

They're pointing out the enemy to keep you deaf and blind
They wanna sap your energy, incarcerate your mind
Give you Rule Brittania, gassy beer, page three
Two weeks in Espania and Sunday striptease!"

Meanwhile the first Jesus says, "I'll cure it soon
Abolish Monday mornings and Friday afternoons"
The other one's out on hunger strike, he's dying by degrees
How come even Jesus gets industrial disease?

Now what about you?
Have you read the entire tax code?
That thing has more pages than the Bible!!!
Do you understand every bit of it??

I have been through practically the whole of Subtitle A, B, C, I, as they apply to me. Others, because as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistant for some years, due to required knowledge.
I have not read the entire tax code, but I know how to navigate it and stand by for last minute laws to be passed or denied.***

So if you haven't read and comprehended the *entire code* how do you *know* there isn't a provision in there that alleviates you or me from the requirement of filing?
If you haven't read the *entire code* ,how do you *know* anything about the tax code?

Could there be information within the parts you haven't read that might change your entire understanding of the parts you have?

Is there any possibility of that?
That if you had read the entire law.., instead of the *tweet*, that perhaps, just maybe, there may be something of importance in those unexplored documents??
Ya' think?

FW+UC
(hey!!! Now that looks tougher ,don't it??)

E.Potter

So if you haven't read and comprehended the *entire code* how do you *know* there isn't a provision in there that alleviates you or me from the requirement of filing?
If you haven't read the *entire code* ,how do you *know* anything about the tax code?

By the way the code is written. For instance: The title that imposes income tax starts at the top of subtitle A. the subchapters branch out after that. Something in a different subtitle isn't about income tax and doesn't cross over. The code is written in a top-down function, not a left right. Something in estate taxes isn't going take down responsibility of the Income tax area.

Again. . .Not everyone is required to file. Filing is the way to tell the IRS how and if you paid the right amount of taxes.

Could there be information within the parts you haven't read that might change your entire understanding of the parts you have?

No, because they are not related. They are all completely different animals.

That if you had read the entire law.., instead of the *tweet*, that perhaps, just maybe, there may be something of importance in those unexplored documents??
Ya' think?

Nothing there that can get you into trouble. Nothing written at a lower level will not cancel the higher level precedence that answers to other parallel, and unrelated, lower areas

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

By the way the code is written. For instance: The title that imposes income tax starts at the top of subtitle A. the subchapters branch out after that. Something in a different subtitle isn't about income tax and doesn't cross over. ***

How do you know?
If you haven't even bothered to read it , how do you *kmow*?

Are you just blowin' it out your mouth?

If you haven't read it.., how can you know?

Po E. Rett

How do you know?

Show me the money. Point me to an area that does this. Quickly, before you get deleted again.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

How do you know?

Show me the money. Point me to an area that does this. Quickly, before you get deleted again.

Look.., you're the guy who "knows how to navigate the system"
Thing is you've been sailing only in the swimming pool !

Read the rest of the law and then perhaps you can voice an an informed and intelligent opinion.

By your own admission you have yet to read the entire law.

In other words .., everything you post on this topic is based on the fact of your own admitted ignorance of the tax law .

Read the Law and get back to us !

Po E. Rett

Look.., you're the guy who "knows how to navigate the system"
Thing is you've been sailing only in the swimming pool !

Metaphors doesn't put you ahead in our discussion. Show me the money. You can't find what's not there. But if you show me the mistake, we can talk

Yes, I can navigate the system well. You have shown, so far, that you haven't even tried. It appears you are taking what other people have said as truth and your need to believe is stronger than your need to research. Get back to me when you have found some legitimate reason that tax law is invalid.

By your own admission you have yet to read the entire law

By your own admission, you have yet to read any part of the law in question.

In other words .., everything you post on this topic is based on the fact of your own admitted ignorance .

You have yet to point out one specific where I was wrong. I have addressed every one of your posts with facts and proof and even posted where you can find the answers. As far as ignorance, my "ignorance" in areas will never have the IRS knocking on my door. Ever. But your misunderstanding can get you in trouble if you actually persue your beliefs.

Read the Law and get back to us !

I guarantee that I have read immensley more than you have.
How about that area I have previously asked about. Show me where one area of the tax code supercedes any reason to believe that you do not have to pay taxes.