roostnureye

beware of TSA

you my friend should leave employees alone outside of the workplace. peoples personal lives are THEIR lives not YOURS.

if they were telling people their opinions while you are paying them that is a different story completly.

everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion outside of the workplace whether you agree or not, we are protected by the constitution.

I can see both sides of this (and there are 2 sides). No, I don't like employers poking their noses into their employees' private lives at all. I don't even approve of drug testing for 90% of the workforce, or pre-employment credit checks, for example.

But an employer has the right to not be publicly embarrassed, or have shit spoken publicly about it, by its own employees. That is a legal and not unreasonable "condition of employment". This wasn't done by private phone calls, or texts, or letters, or e-mails. It was done on Facebook. Facebook is a public forum, unless you keep your privacy settings set to private. By posting shit about your employer on Facebook for all the world to see, you might as well be plastering signs on the telephone poles.

So yeah, it's kind of creepy to have an employer scoping out its employees' Facebook sites. But it's the employees' own stupidity, frankly, for allowing their sites to be viewable by their employer in the first place (especially after being warned).