Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Nevada
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas

And none of them have a city as big as Chicago.

Big fucking deal - now show the crime is due to the CCW laws.

Didn't ever claim it was - you sure are being deliberately obtuse or are a poor reader.

No, you just imply - you sure are being deliberately vague or are a poor writer.

BTW - none of those states have cities with as high a murder rate as Chicago, either.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

No, you just imply - you sure are being deliberately vague or are a poor writer.

no, he choose his words very carefully. Note he explicitly referred to correlation, rather than to make the outright lie about causation. Misleading, but no false statements.

Gun ownership is associated with higher incident rates. Hardly a surprise, many people obtain guns out of need. Many carry (esp sans CCW) out of a real fear. And note that often when it's said you get killed by your friends, it may actually mean acquaintances, which include rival gang members.

It's difficult to legitimately prove there is a benefit from CCW. Too many variables. But it's enough to prove that there isn't a detrimental effect, and those personal choice should be maintained.

no, he choose his words very carefully. Note he explicitly referred to correlation, rather than to make the outright lie about causation. Misleading, but no false statements.

So you have a problem with people who choose their words to mean what they want them to mean? It's only misleading to those who choose to be misled.

Gun ownership is associated with higher incident rates. Hardly a surprise, many people obtain guns out of need. Many carry (esp sans CCW) out of a real fear. And note that often when it's said you get killed by your friends, it may actually mean acquaintances, which include rival gang members.

It's difficult to legitimately prove there is a benefit from CCW. Too many variables. But it's enough to prove that there isn't a detrimental effect, and those personal choice should be maintained.

Sure there's a detrimental effect. You can't be shot with your own gun if you don't have one. Your kids can't find your guns and play with them if you don't have any. Your wife isn't going to off you with your own gun in a fit of PMS if you don't have one. Your guns can't be among the 300,000+ that end up in the hands of criminals every year if you don't have any.

You carefully ignore and/or deny all the detrimental effects

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You can't be shot with your own gun if you don't have one.

You can't defend yourself as effectively or with as small a chance of injury without a gun.

Your kids can't find your guns and play with them if you don't have any.

And they are consequently at the mercy of any of those crooks or nutters that DO have one - hence the Merced pitchfork murders.

Your wife isn't going to off you with your own gun in a fit of PMS if you don't have one.

I'm sure Kitty Genovese and thousands and thousands of other women are very relieved to be at the mercy of anyone bigger and stronger than they are, as well as women that are in abusive relationships.

Your guns can't be among the 300,000+ that end up in the hands of criminals every year if you don't have any.

And you can't be among the 500,000 or so people that defend themselves against a violent attack yearly without one.

You carefully ignore and/or deny all the beneficial effects.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You carefully ignore and/or deny all the beneficial effects.

No, I don't. I acknowledge that self defense is an appropriate use of a firearm.

I do, however, acknowledge that with the benefit comes cost. You have never acknowledged such a thing. For you it's all benefit and ignore the costs.

Given the proven correlation between gun ownership and violent death (Harvard study) and the difference between US homicide rates and those in other western industrialized nations, it seems that the balance between cost and benefit is one sided, on the cost side.

For you it's all benefit and ignore the costs.

Another lie - I've never said that there are no costs.

Given the proven correlation between gun ownership and violent death (Harvard study) and the difference between US homicide rates and those in other western industrialized nations, it seems that the balance between cost and benefit is one sided, on the cost side.

Speaking of "ignoring the beneficial effects"...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Right, you just IGNORE them. Please provide links to the posts where you ever mentioned the costs to society of gun ownership, other than to dismiss them.

Reading problem again? "Balance" includes consideration of both sides.

Right, you just IGNORE them.

Like you do with beneficial effects?

Please provide links to the posts where you ever mentioned the costs to society of gun ownership, other than to dismiss them.

Feel free to use that handy link up there called 'search' - so simple, even a perfesser can do it.

No, a posting problem - the lack of any mention of beneficial effects in any of your posts threw me off.

I also don't agree with the "proven correlation", since the Kates/Mauser study (also Harvard, since we're namedropping) doesn't come to the same conclusion.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Right, you just IGNORE them. Please provide links to the posts where you ever mentioned the costs to society of gun ownership, other than to dismiss them.

This is rich. You, just a few posts above, noted that you specifically chose your words to mean exactly what you meant, even though in context others inferred additional meaning.

Yet here, you can't take his statement as a simple statement, but insist that he show where he's mentioned something he's not talking about.
--
Rob

This is rich. You, just a few posts above, noted that you specifically chose your words to mean exactly what you meant, even though in context others inferred additional meaning.

Yet here, you can't take his statement as a simple statement, but insist that he show where he's mentioned something he's not talking about.

You also having the same reading problem?

I said he IGNORES the costs. He then said "I've never said that there are no costs." Completely consistent with what I wrote - he's never said ANYTHING about the costs, which IS ignoring them.

Right, you just IGNORE them.

Like you do with beneficial effects?

An easily disproven falsehood.

Post #81 I wrote " I acknowledge that self defense is an appropriate use of a firearm. ":P

Also
www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2709142;search_string=hunting%20self%20defense;#2709142

Please provide links to the posts where you ever mentioned the costs to society of gun ownership, other than to dismiss them.

Feel free to use that handy link up there called 'search' - so simple, even a perfesser can do it.

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_35&search_string=cost+to+society+of+gun+ownership&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=mnealtx&sb=score&mh=25

There is only one, and I don't think it supports your assertion.:P Now you prove me wrong if you can.

No, a posting problem - the lack of any mention of beneficial effects in any of your posts threw me off.

Already disproven falsehood.

You also having the same reading problem?

I said he IGNORES the costs. He then said "I've never said that there are no costs." Completely consistent with what I wrote - he's never said ANYTHING about the costs, which IS ignoring them.

your words are well chosen. I didn't say yours were wrong.

You did say he ignores the costs. He said he never said there were no costs. Those 2 statements are perfectly consistent with each other. Then you demand that he produce links to posts where he mentioned the costs. (when you've already stated he ignored them, and he's already stated he didn't say anything about the costs)

so you're asking him to produce something that both you and he have already said (and you've quoted at least twice) that he didn't write anything about.

so no. there is no reading problem on my end. I don't think you have a reading problem. I don't even think you have a comprehension problem. I think you're just being stubborn.

(fictional character dave: I have oranges
kallend: what about the bananas??
dave: I didn't mention bananas!
kallend: show me that you don't have any bananas!!
dave: dude! I didn't say shit about bananas!
kallend: that fucker has bananas! I told you!!
dave: dave's not here man...
}
--
Rob

So you agree with me that mnealtx ignores the costs to society of gun ownership, and that he acknowledged as much. OK.

Meanwhile you "acknowldge" that benefits exist and then completely discount them. What's the difference. There are costs to society from car ownership, computers, alcohol, and all kinds of things. What's your point?

And if you really want to play word games, riddle me this:
If a recognized benefit is as significant as a recognized cost, and the recognized benefit occurs far more often than the cost, how does a person conclude the total cost is higher than the total benefit?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

So you agree with me that mnealtx ignores the costs to society of gun ownership, and that he acknowledged as much. OK.

Meanwhile you "acknowldge" that benefits exist and then completely discount them.

FALSE

What's the difference. There are costs to society from car ownership, computers, alcohol, and all kinds of things. What's your point?

I've made my point many times already. You just ignore anything that disagrees with your viewpoint, as you've pretty much admitted in this thread.

An easily disproven falsehood.

Post #81 I wrote " I acknowledge that self defense is an appropriate use of a firearm. ":P

Then by that logic, my saying that convicted criminals should not have guns is acknowledgement of the 'costs to society'.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Meanwhile you "acknowldge" that benefits exist and then completely discount them.

FALSE

You said self defense (defensive gun use) was an "appropriate" use. Since there are 800,000 to three million DGUs every year depending on your chosen study (best study estimating a bit over two million), I've wondered how the crime committed out weigh crimes prevented and all the other "appropriate" uses, whether you like them or not. If you're not discounting them.

I've made my point many times already. You just ignore anything that disagrees with your viewpoint, as you've pretty much admitted in this thread.

I'm really wondering what your point is. You say self defense is a good use for guns. Then you say the costs to society outweigh the benefits. Then you say you don't want to deny folks the right to have guns.

So what, you see a problem but don't have a solution?

As to your jab about me ignoring things tha t don't support my point of veiw, you are sadly mistaken. Unlike you, I make it a point to review and consider sources supporting both side. I don't take anything that purports to support my views at face value. You know, like the "so many children die to guns every day" study that counted twenty year olds and felons killed by victims and law enforcement. Or the Kellerman study that claimed a person is 43 times more likely to be killed by his own gun than use it in self defense. Or the Bellesiles book that claimed gun ownership was rare and the NRA was a fraud. You know the one that cost Jim his Bancroft prize and his job at Emory U. Or the press release about how guns are bad because you'll kill your friends or they'll kill you when the FBI study listed "acquaintances" which includes delivery guys, anybody you talk to, and if you're a gang banger it includes enemy gang bangers.

Getting back to costs, yes I acknowledge that guns can be misused. In a society with problems like ours, and violence as common as it is, it's just about inevitable (even islands that outlaw all gun ownership have gun crime). But I've come to the conclusion that they do not do more harm than good, so I support gun rights. The fact that it's a constitutional right encourages me as well. Lastly, since there is no way gun control would stop criminals from getting and using them, I see no point in banning them for everyone.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

One more story for everyone who's afraid gun owners will be killed by their own guns. Go ahead and google cy waits, parada and see what you get. Somehow, the guy with the gun kept the crazy guy with a knife (A) from hurting anyone and (B) at bay until police arrived to make the arrest.

But if unarmed people will take my gun and use it against me, wouldn't a guy with a knife have a bigger advantage? [/sarcasm]
witty subliminal message
1*