GeorgiaDon

Leave and immigrate legally?

Here's an interesting story about a guy who was brought to the US from Mexico as a child, graduated high school in Arizona then got an engineering degree from Arizona State University, married and had a child. Rather than continue to live as an illegal alien, he voluntarily returned to Mexico, then applied to immigrate to join his family in Phoenix. His wife and daughter are US citizens (not stated explicitly in the article, but as they are able to drive back and forth across the border to visit him it is a reasonable inference).

US immigration has denied his application. They say he has not shown sufficient financial hardship or psychological harm to his family for him to be allowed to join them in the US.

WTF? Here is a guy who was brought here as a child, voluntarily left, and now is being refused reentry despite having an American wife and child, and an education that will easily allow him to support himself and his family.

Interesting example for all the people who say all the illegal immigrants should leave and come back through the proper channels.

Don

Why am I not surprised?

I immigrated legally 33 years ago. I found every single interaction I had with what was then the INS to be extraordinarily negative.

Just because they changed their name to Citizenship and Immigration Services doesn't mean the culture changed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Here's an interesting story about a guy who was brought to the US from Mexico as a child, graduated high school in Arizona then got an engineering degree from Arizona State University, married and had a child. Rather than continue to live as an illegal alien, he voluntarily returned to Mexico, then applied to immigrate to join his family in Phoenix. His wife and daughter are US citizens (not stated explicitly in the article, but as they are able to drive back and forth across the border to visit him it is a reasonable inference).

Going back home and then applying to re-enter is usually not the best immigration strategy if one is married to a US citizen. The most likely scenario is that the daughter is a US citizen (born in the USA) but the wife, while here legally, is not a US citizen.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

The most likely scenario is that the daughter is a US citizen (born in the USA) but the wife, while here legally, is not a US citizen.

That's certainly possible.

Don

Hi GD,
Procedures, Procedures!! The best laid plans of mice and men, in this case not a good one. The guy made it thru AZ State and got an engineering degree, Hmmmm? He was here and intrenched. Why didn't he just get an immigration attorney and have at it?? All he did is check into the Hotel Baja California,"Ya' can check out but ya' never leave!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Why am I not surprised?

I immigrated legally 33 years ago. I found every single interaction I had with what was then the INS to be extraordinarily negative.

Just because they changed their name to Citizenship and Immigration Services doesn't mean the culture changed.

That has been my experience also. When I became a citizen I thought I was done with them, but they screwed up my son's naturalization application (100% their mistake), and it took me another year and pushing $1,000 in fees to get them to revisit the application and admit their error. The whole time, we were worried my son would be deported and never be allowed back. Of course, when I suggested they should refund the additional fees I had to pay to appeal their error, they said "we never do that".

Don

Why am I not surprised?

Damn Brits burned down the White House in 1814. That's a pain that don't stop hurtin'.

USCIS has a page on facebook. Only 9 people like USCIS on facebook.

Even the IRS and the Selective Service System are more popular on facebook ;) .
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Interesting example for all the people who say all the illegal immigrants should leave and come back through the proper channels.

Proper channels doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work by next Tuesday. Just that they go through the same effort as others who wish to immigrate here, not jump in front of the line by skipping the process entirely.

Careful with the cracks about the IRS ... that might bring out the comments of why you want the same idiots that do the DMV, IRS, and INS also run health care. It's a shitty, hard task to do any of these.

Proper channels doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work by next Tuesday. Just that they go through the same effort as others who wish to immigrate here, not jump in front of the line by skipping the process entirely.

Careful with the cracks about the IRS ... that might bring out the comments of why you want the same idiots that do the DMV, IRS, and INS also run health care. It's a shitty, hard task to do any of these.

Of all the Fed and state agencies I've dealt with, only INS treated me like dirt (and gave the impression it was deliberate policy). On the whole my DMV, Social Security, FAA and IRS interactions have been quite OK.

Where do you get that he is asking to "jump to to the front of the line"? The article states that he has been denied. I am personally all too familiar with "waiting in the line", which involves years of waiting for word of some progress, all the while being unable to get any useful information about your application (or worse, being given wrong information that increases your conviction that your application has been mishandled, but you can't even report your concerns). While you're waiting you get nothing from USCIS, but when they tell you you're denied, then you're denied, it doesn't mean "please stand by".

Don

Of all the Fed and state agencies I've dealt with, only INS treated me like dirt (and gave the impression it was deliberate policy).

No, it was probably just you. :P

My dealings with the INS/USCIS have been fairly pleasant. Certainly no worse than any of the other fed/state agencies I've dealt with.

That being said, I don't think they make it easy for people to legally immigrate to this country. I would be for making the process a little bit easier.

Where do you get that he is asking to "jump to to the front of the line"? The article states that he has been denied.

The anecdotal info I have from friends is that every action with the INS takes two visits - the first a denial. Maybe they share a brain with Blue Cross.

There is a simple reality - not everyone that wants to legally immigrate to the country can.

Where do you get that he is asking to "jump to to the front of the line"? The article states that he has been denied.

The anecdotal info I have from friends is that every action with the INS takes two visits - the first a denial. Maybe they share a brain with Blue Cross.

What an intelligent policy.

My dealings with the INS/USCIS have been fairly pleasant. Certainly no worse than any of the other fed/state agencies I've dealt with.

People generally don't want to fuck with someone named "Shotgun".
I'm just saying.

Well, there's that.

The government handles money the way I handle a rental car.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley