brenthutch

IPCC's River of Lies

Just out of curiosity, what do you have against the environmental movement? There are those who are legitimate skeptics of the science, and that's fine. I can sometimes see things from that perspective. Then there are those who seem to just hate being good stewards of the planet, and would probably intentionally harm it just because they think its funny.

My experience has been that everyone who spews as much hate for environmentalism as you do has typically felt personally wronged by a particular environmental action- usually its a lost job, told they can't do something they want, can't build where they want, etc.

So, why do you hate environmentalism? I'm just trying to understand where you come from, so please don't take this as an attack. I will respect your privacy if you don't want to answer, but lets refrain from the smart ass remarks.

(yes, I know I just invited a smart ass remark with that last part...)

And just for full disclosure, I work as an environmental engineer (water field, not atmosphere)

Just out of curiosity, what do you have against the environmental movement? There are those who are legitimate skeptics of the science, and that's fine. I can sometimes see things from that perspective. Then there are those who seem to just hate being good stewards of the planet, and would probably intentionally harm it just because they think its funny.

My experience has been that everyone who spews as much hate for environmentalism as you do has typically felt personally wronged by a particular environmental action- usually its a lost job, told they can't do something they want, can't build where they want, etc.

So, why do you hate environmentalism? I'm just trying to understand where you come from, so please don't take this as an attack. I will respect your privacy if you don't want to answer, but lets refrain from the smart ass remarks.

(yes, I know I just invited a smart ass remark with that last part...)

And just for full disclosure, I work as an environmental engineer (water field, not atmosphere)

I personally, have no problem with real environmentalists. I do however, take issue with the "movement" that grew into a misguided religion, led by those who do not follow the very tenants of what they preach. Repeated slams, "the debate is over"...forcing compliance through any means necessary (cap and trade/tax), and destroying the market forces that provide Americans in particular with the highest living standards in the world. We could do nothing more on the environmental front, and we still do more along all fronts in conservation and environmental rehabilitation than the rest of the world combined.

The sad reality is now though, that the movement has overstepped its bounds. The science stopped being science and instead became an agenda. When the "dirt people" started taking options for energy off the table is when I stopped listening. When CARB hired people with false credentials to come up with false stats to do their write up to implement AB32, lose accounting of 57% of their budget to implement it, I started asking pointed questions. When county governments in northern California starting citing IPCC findings chapter-and-verse in their general plan (despite all the now-recanted, and questionable compilation), and started stomping on farmer's, and individual land owner's rights, I went all in.

I've yet to meet anyone that doesn't agree with the notion of prudent use of the earth's resources. But spending money on diesel particulate filters that don't work (but sound great to enviros), instead of incentivizing heavy industry to modernize is misguided in the extreme. I literally met a guy outside UC Davis who said, "If only there was a reliable, plentiful, clean power source with no emissions." :S:S I literally said, "What the hell, you can't think of one? There's one that is reliable, clean, works rain or shine, wind or no wind - it's called nuclear." He had the audacity to say, "but that's not really natural".

How do we fix stupid now that the "movement" has created so much toxicity and completely misguided doctrine?

How many "deniers" have staged riots, caused acts of terror in their cause? ELF has caused more environmental damage in California than any thirty heavy construction companies.

As a heavy civil general engineering contractor, my two big projects this year will do more for the environment in the long run than any of those blow-hards in the UN. All I need is a little diesel for some equipment, and we'll have some clean burning propane running TEGs and replacing fuel oil boilers and remediation in-ground oil tanks in some of our National Parks...all while providing protection from storm water pollution and saving money for the taxpayer. We didn't need cap-and-trade/tax or the IPCC to know that this was just smart business. Yet, I'm certain that we're going to have some run-ins with some "dirt people" that think I just "don't get it man..."...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

When I was in school, Civil Engineering was treated as the technical equivalent of Special Ed.. Professor Todd, when berating a group of Juniors who had turned in a less than stellar performance in one of his Organic Chemistry exams, told the class that they really weren't cut out for the hard sciences, and should perhaps consider Civil Engineering.

Of course, Environmental majors were the ones to whom Civil was akin to Rocket Science. I would not brag about it.

When I was in school, Civil Engineering was treated as the technical equivalent of Special Ed.. Professor Todd, when berating a group of Juniors who had turned in a less than stellar performance in one of his Organic Chemistry exams, told the class that they really weren't cut out for the hard sciences, and should perhaps consider Civil Engineering.

Of course, Environmental majors were the ones to whom Civil was akin to Rocket Science. I would not brag about it.

Irony score- perfect 10!
Too bad organic chemistry is a big part of any environmental engineering curriculum.

Fortunately, I have the perfect solution for you. Since you obviously can’t stand those weak minded civil and environmental engineers, you should immediately stop using all buildings, roads and utilities. On behalf of the profession, I apologize for not making things good enough for you. Then you should simply move somewhere where there are none (or little) of those. I would recommend Sudan. Once you get there, be sure to tell them that everyone who designed the American infrastructure is a “special ed student”. Be sure to tell me how the water there is, it hasn’t been fooled with by any of those dim-wit environmental engineers. Have a nice trip:)

Irony score- perfect 10!
Too bad organic chemistry is a big part of any environmental engineering curriculum.

Fortunately, I have the perfect solution for you. Since you obviously can’t stand those weak minded civil and environmental engineers, you should immediately stop using all buildings, roads and utilities. On behalf of the profession, I apologize for not making things good enough for you. Then you should simply move somewhere where there are none (or little) of those. I would recommend Sudan. Once you get there, be sure to tell them that everyone who designed the American infrastructure is a “special ed student”. Be sure to tell me how the water there is, it hasn’t been fooled with by any of those dim-wit environmental engineers. Have a nice trip:)

The lowest ranking member of a Medical School graduating class is still addressed as "Doctor." There is, however, a hierarchy amongst medical professisons, and Procology is not usually the destination of the best and the brightest.

Organic for Environmentals is akin to Diff. Eq's for Civils. Sure, they're core courses, but they have a different significance in a Chemical or Mechanical Engineering curriculum (disciplines of which there is also a dearth in the Sudan).

There is certainly a need for the semi-technical disciplines given to brute force and ignorance. Moving about large amounts of dirt and cranking out volumes of ill-considered regulations are examples of tasks to which they are well suited.

However, such issues as optimization of traffic flow and the prevention or remediation of pollution are the domain of other disciplines.

Blue skies,

Winsor

>>However, such issues as optimization of traffic flow and the prevention or remediation of pollution are the domain of other disciplines.

Wrong. I'm currently sitting around 40 bright professionals with civil and environmental engineering degrees who do both of those things every day. Sure, earth work calculations take less brain cells than designing a nuclear reactor. But you could dumb down any discipline by taking out the hard parts that slightly overlap other fields and leaving only the menial tasks.

>>Organic for Environmentals is akin to Diff. Eq's for Civils
Terrible comparison that further shows you don't really understand the discipline that you are so anxious to piss on. The environmental department at my office uses organic chemistry EVERY DAY

Civil engineer steal your woman?:P

I don't think I ever called you a butt head or whatever you are accusing me over so I would appreciate the same courtesy.

Anyway, I gave it a quick read. It does indeed list a lot of failures of the IPCC. However, if you think that everything they have ever done is a big lie, then that would also be wrong and you are not looking at the whole picture. Since it doesn't attempt to provide a balanced picture of the success and failures of the IPCC, I'm not interested in giving a lot of credit to an attack piece. Kinda like your personal attack on me above- I don't really care enough to respond to spite.

To answer your earlier query, I have nothing against the environment and I frequently do volunteer work to clean it up, adapt a highway, tree planting, and support for dam removal to mention a few, What gets my goat is that the whole AGW cap and trade thing is a huge scam that plays on peoples emotions. Cap and trade will HURT the environment not help it. A better question would be why do you hate the environment. As far as the "personal attack" I was just indulging your earlier post inviting one.

http://www.climatechangefraud.com/green-affected/6817-global-warming-ethanol-ddt-and-environmentalisms-dark-side

"In 2008, Time magazine wrote about ethanol's dubious environmental benefits in a cover story entitled, "The Clean Energy Scam." The article warned that forests, wetlands, and grasslands were being sacrificed in a rush to farm crops that could be turned into gasoline. More recently, the peer-reviewed journal Science reported on a study finding that cap-and-trade accounting systems understate the emissions created by the production of biofuels. The study concluded that cap-and-trade programs could encourage biofuel production that would displace 59% of the world's natural forest cover by 2050."

So who is the environmentalist now?

>>However, such issues as optimization of traffic flow and the prevention or remediation of pollution are the domain of other disciplines.

Wrong. I'm currently sitting around 40 bright professionals with civil and environmental engineering degrees who do both of those things every day. Sure, earth work calculations take less brain cells than designing a nuclear reactor. But you could dumb down any discipline by taking out the hard parts that slightly overlap other fields and leaving only the menial tasks.

Bright by your standards, I will grant you. I should have said that doing these things WELL is the domain of other disciplines.

Some disciplines do not dumb down; Environmental does not require dumbing down in the first place.

>>Organic for Environmentals is akin to Diff. Eq's for Civils
Terrible comparison that further shows you don't really understand the discipline that you are so anxious to piss on. The environmental department at my office uses organic chemistry EVERY DAY

Big deal - janitors use organic chemistry every day, as well (various wetting agents, surfactants, solvents, etc.).

All things being said, Environmentals are pretty far down the food chain, acedemically.

Civil engineer steal your woman?:P

Irony score 10/10