billvon

Statement concerning summer Vigil AAD usage

Cabin pressurization fires, and fires in moving autos don't concern me, because Vigil gives specific instructions in their owners manual to avoid those circumstances.

It gives you instruction NOT to jump from pressurized aircrafts?
It gives you instructions to take special care for moving autos?
Now it will probably give you instructions to keep your rig in thermostat to maintain stable temperature? And probably, to jump with this thermostat?

Well, what I can say - there is AAD, which does not have this "issues" (which actually are defects).

Yes, the owners manual says not to turn it on and ride around in closed vehicles, because unlike the CYPRES which becomes active at 1500ft, the Vigil becomes active at 150ft. And yes, the owners manual give specific instructions for pilots on pressure testing the cabin. Had Vigil been fielded first, you'd probably be on here bashing CYPRES2 cause it won't save on a 1000ft emergency exit. It's not too much to ask that users read and follow the directions.

It's not too much to ask that users read and follow the directions.

Quite right.

But I can't find in the directions exactly how to judge a "very hot day", so I don't see how someone can follow the instructions.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

This is a typ1/type2 error issue (not firing when it should vs. firing when it shouldn't).

Well I see it as not firing when it should not vs firing when it should not.

I'd rather have no AAD than an AAD that could fire when it should not. If I don't have an AAD, then it will not be any ADDED risk to my jump. An AAD that misfire ADDS risk.

Even if all it does is fire on the plane, or in my trunk...That is an aggravation I would rather not have.

CYPRES is not perfect....This CYPREs that misfired under the Accuracy canopy...1 or 2? I have not heard of any C2 misfires.

I'm just trying to see through the third party reports and the electronic hysteria developing around this device to figure out if I'm going to keep a Vigil in one of my rigs or swap it out.

That is a choice for you....And I do not envy your position. I think they will do more good than harm. But I really do not want to be proven wrong.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Not firing when it should is simply a catastrophic event, always!

Firing when it should not can lead to several situation varying from a reserve opening on de ground (not funy, but in general no safety risk) till ripping of the tail of a plane (floating on a cessna), so this case might also be consideres catastrophic depending when the failure occures.

Some years ago skydivers started to accept AAd's because cypess has reduces the unwanted activation score dramaticaly compared to FXC.

All technical devices have issues, Question is how much issues are there and how does a company deal with those issues.
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

The difference is this...An AAD that fails to fire when it should, does not increase the risk. It only fails to save someone. Not good, but better than an AAD firing and ripping the tail off a Cessna and causing the death of someone.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The difference is this...An AAD that fails to fire when it should, does not increase the risk. It only fails to save someone. Not good, but better than an AAD firing and ripping the tail off a Cessna and causing the death of someone.

Agreed. It also is an issue of who it affects. An AAD that mis fires and kills a jumper/pilot not using it is a lot worse in my book than one that doesn't and only the jumper who screwed up dies. The more that comes out about these things the more I dislike even being on a plane with them.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka