RonD1120

Motorcycle Endorsement vs. Homeland Security

I obtained the new FL Driver License with motorcycle endorsement yesterday. It took 3 trips before I had acceptable documentation to prove I was a citizen of the U.S.A.

First attempt, I took US Passport, expired last summer; property tax notification; utility bill; certified copy of my DD-214; current FL DL. Rejected because DD-214 not acceptable and was instructed to get Social Security card or W-2.

Second attempt, I replaced the DD-214 with SS card and SS 1099. Rejected because expired Passport not acceptable and was instructed to get birth certificate.

Now I'm 67 YO and like everyone my age, I have my birth certificate at home in my desk. Yeah right. Off I go to my credit union safe deposit box and fortunately there is a certified copy of the BC therein.

Driving distance to credit union and back, 25 miles; three round trips to DL office, 12 miles; total driving distance 37 miles. And, I couldn't even ride my bike because I didn't have the freakin' motorcycle endorsement.

Here's a tip for married ladies dealing with HS and DL Division. You will need certified copies of ALL your marriage licenses. Yeah, that's right, all of them.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I can't remember quite what it was I was doing, but several years ago I needed to show a government issued ID. Passport was not acceptable, DL was not, nor was my BC. The only thing they would accept was that stupid little easy-to-copy card with my SS# on it.
Freakin' stupid.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I can't remember quite what it was I was doing, but several years ago I needed to show a government issued ID. Passport was not acceptable, DL was not, nor was my BC. The only thing they would accept was that stupid little easy-to-copy card with my SS# on it.
Freakin' stupid.

You mean the one that says at the bottom, "For
Social Security and Tax Purposes--Not For Identification"
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

It looked like I was going to be one of the first people to require a renewal in Cal after the implementation of the Fed mandated Real ID program. Mine expires in early Feb, so no chance that any bugs would be worked out. I was facing a bureaucratic PITA as I have documents with minor issues, and my legal residence is family, while I live and pay utility bills elsewhere.

Fortunately the program was (continues to be, I think) delayed and I'm good for a few more years.

I recently got pulled, for speeding through a construction zone.. Only a warning ticket, for that, but due to financial circumstances, my insurance had expired, by 3 weeks. Well, that automatically suspends your liscence, which they promptly remove, from your possession.

Try having to rent a taxi, for the afternoon, to make all of those trips, to the DMV.
Pity the person, who's ID has been destroyed in a fire or flood, or never planned on leaving the country.