SimonBones

Cancel your flight?

Interesting short two-part video posted by Rep. Culberson (R-TX):

http://culberson.house.gov/speaker-pelosi-cancel-your-flight/

Do you think these bills should be pushed through to be voted on quickly without time to read them or should Speaker Pilosi cancel her flight?

Today the House of Representatives is scheduled to vote on four important bills: the Department of Defense Appropriations Bill, a Continuing Resolution that will fund the federal government, a bill to yet again increase our nation’s debt limit, and a “Jobs Bill.” Late last night, around 9:30 P.M., House Democrats posted three of the four bills online then scheduled votes on these bills starting at 10:00 A.M. this morning. Why the rush? So Speaker Pelosi can catch a plane to Copenhagen.

Today I asked the Speaker, what is more important, ensuring that the American people and Members of Congress have a chance to read these bills or attending a climate change conference? You can view the video by clicking on the screen above or clicking here.

In less than 24 hours, House Democrats have increased the national debt limit by $300 billion, rechurned $150 billion from the TARP slush fund and spent over $600 billion. Of course, this sort of behavior is not new. Record spending bills have been passing the House all year without a chance for the American people and Members of Congress to read them. Earlier this year Rep. Brian Baird (D-WA) and I introduced H.Res. 554, a resolution requiring the House of Representatives to make bills and conference reports available online for 72 hours before they are considered by the House. This resolution will enhance public participation in our democracy and help restore the public trust in government by raising the level of openness, order and discourse. I urge the Speaker to cancel her flight so Members can stop voting blind.

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Today the House of Representatives is scheduled to vote on four important bills: the Department of Defense Appropriations Bill,

I don't understand that comment.
The HOR passed the 2010 Defense Appropriations Bill in July.
The 2010 Defense Authorization Act has also been voted on, passed, and signed by the President.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Today the House of Representatives is scheduled to vote on four important bills: the Department of Defense Appropriations Bill,

I don't understand that comment.
The HOR passed the 2010 Defense Appropriations Bill in July.
The 2010 Defense Authorization Act has also been voted on, passed, and signed by the President.

/Marg

Interesting, I forwarded this insight to the representative. His response to me was this:

We often vote on different versions of bills before they become law. This bill included other provisions that were not included in the bill we voted on in July. Today's bill replaced the conference bill.

I guess this means that this was an amendment to the previous bill.
Hit me up on Facebook

Since moving to TX a year ago Rep. Culberson has become my district rep so I try and keep in touch. We'll chat via facebook :)
Even so, three of the four bills presented do not appear to be simply amendments to previous bills and are worth large sums of money. What are your thoughts? Faster blinder votes? Or slower more educated votes without a flight to Copenhagen for the last two days of a summit for Speaker Pelosi?

Hit me up on Facebook

Even so, three of the four bills presented do not appear to be simply amendments to previous bills and are worth large sums of money. What are your thoughts?

From my thinking, one doesn't even need to invoke Speaker Pelosi or the Copenhagen meeting. The fact that there is a Continuing Resolution ("CR") bill means that Congress didn't get the FY2010 budget done on time. The budget process happens every year; it is something that Congress knows they have to deal with every year. I can understand how it gets pushed back; that doesn't mean I think it's the way it should be done. If I was Speaker, which I would never want, I would keep the House in session until they passed a budget, or in this case get a CR bill onto the President's desk. That would make me politically unpopular and I wouldn't be Speaker for long. So yes, I would prioritize getting things accomplished within the House before anyone flies anywhere.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Even so, three of the four bills presented do not appear to be simply amendments to previous bills and are worth large sums of money.

Which is the one good one, then?

The extension of the debt ceiling is a foregone conclusion. Not doing so isn't really an option unless you want the US to default on its obligations, and see treasury rates go sky high. The GOP nearly fucked up the country when they held out in the 90s - Clinton's SecTreas basically violated the law to prevent the consequences from the two parties' political grandstanding.

Just recently the DVA had their budgets approved an extra year out to avoid the problems of being late with a budget consensus. After years of withholding benefits and services because congress was late, they now do the 2011 budget in 2009.

Something like this could possibly have helped the CA state govt. Maybe we should consider doing this more often to avoid the negative consequences of all the silly little tactics used by our legislators.
Hit me up on Facebook

Just recently the DVA had their budgets approved an extra year out to avoid the problems of being late with a budget consensus. After years of withholding benefits and services because congress was late, they now do the 2011 budget in 2009.

Something like this could possibly have helped the CA state govt. Maybe we should consider doing this more often to avoid the negative consequences of all the silly little tactics used by our legislators.

How about:

1. Stop spending so much f*cking money.

2. When tax revenues are up, save some money.

The practical outcome of 2 year budgeting (seen in San Francisco) is an even greater use of accounting tricks and pie in the sky optimism that proves false midway through and requires revisiting.

Banning Congressional additions, 'earmarks,' would also help. The Executive agencies hate earmarks. Congress and the folks who receive them love earmarks.

Within the DoD (& probably other agencies, that's the only one to which I can speak authoritatively) there is some money that is "1-year" money, i.e., by law it has to be spent within a year or it goes back to the Treasury. Not sure what laws would have to change. Doesn't mean they shouldn't change.

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying