brenthutch

Why New Orleans was so damaged by Katrina

The world really isn't divided into democrats and republicans...

While I think the Bush administration was comprised of a bunch of thugs, they were not the ones responsible for the lack of response that resulted in loss of life. It was not and is not the responsibility of the federal government to bail/put/dig us out. The Governor of LA had to sole responsibility to rapidly deploy the National Guard. If anyone, *she* is the one with blood on her hands.

>If anyone, *she* is the one with blood on her hands.

What about the people who refused to evacuate?

What about the armed mobs who kept people from evacuating through "their" town?

What about the levee inspectors who ignored the problems?

What about the Army Corps of Engineers, who designed the levees to begin with?

Like I said, there's plenty of blame to go around. Bush, Blanco, Brown, you name it. But in the end the ultimate reason is that a Category 4 storm hit a city that was mostly below sea level.

I think his administratioons response was criminal and half assed compared to the help that the REPUBLICAN state right next door got.. He and his ilk played politics with the lives of the people of NO and a hell of a lot of them died.. but in Halley Barbours C of CC land and George Bush's world that is ok... most of them were just dumb negros who were unfortunate enough to live in a democratic state and a democratic district. In your world I guess they deserved to be punished for that.>:(

Do you have any proof of that? Other than the outcome I mean? Because if not, I got news for you. Correlation does NOT equal causation!

Here are the facts the public knows. The adjacent states did better, but they didn't have the degree of problem that New Orleans did. They weren't 12 to 20 ft below sea level, and they didn't have the population density, both huge drivers of the outcome.

So we are left with determining which is more likely. That everybody in the entire Bush administration, all they way down through the FEMA local office, were guilty of negligent homicide, or even more unlikely, that they weren't obvious to the political hit they were taking and thus took no action Even when slapped in the face with a TV reality from hell, it didn't improve.

Or that state officials in LA, who are historically among the most corrupt and ineffective in the US, going back well past Reconstruction, and the city administration in New Orleans which has the same problem in double spades, that they simply could not deal with the magnitude of things thrust upon them?

I don't think that Bush was among the brightest or most effective Presidents. But believing he intentionally killed all those people, or that he just ignored that kind of political pressure, including that by two US Senators who would see that he burned in hell if he did, is just nuts.

That or you and all the others that claim it don't actually believe it, but just use it for political gain. That seems more likely to me.

Tom B

What about the people who refused to evacuate?

The ones who cried racism when help took longer than expected?

What about the armed mobs who kept people from evacuating through "their" town?

What town prevented anyone from evacuating? Was that the only way out of N.O.?

What about the levee inspectors who ignored the problems?

Money was sent. Money disappeared.

What about the Army Corps of Engineers, who designed the levees to begin with?

Should've done better. 70 year old technology needed to be updated, I guess. Good thing the project started in the 60's and still wasn't done in time for Katrina.

Like I said, there's plenty of blame to go around. Bush, Blanco, Brown, you name it. But in the end the ultimate reason is that a Category 4 storm hit a city that was mostly below sea level.

I agree. I can't stand it when people try screaming racism or flat out lies like "the republican state next door" got more money.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

http://projects.publicintegrity.org/katrina/filter.aspx?cat=4

No racism there at all... these are not the droids ou are looking for
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/26/katrina-racism-us-media

The sheriff of the suburb across the Crescent City Connection bridge from downtown New Orleans turned back stranded tourists and locals at gunpoint. "As we approached the bridge," wrote two stranded paramedics, "armed Gretna sheriffs formed a line across the foot of the bridge. Before we were close enough to speak, they began firing their weapons over our heads."

One group of suburban white men who believed the rumours or just anticipated that in the absence of authority we all become monsters became monsters themselves, even as they fantasised they were preserving order. These men in Algiers Point across the river from the city of New Orleans gathered an arsenal and launched their own little murder spree, killing several black men and injuring and threatening others.

They were the real rampaging gangs, and they were not shy about what they did – they boasted of it to videographers and have talked openly about it since. And with confidence, since there have to date been no legal repercussions. They claimed to be defending their property and their neighbourhood, but their most vocal surviving victim, Donnell Herrington, was an armoured truck driver trying to evacuate after he had stayed behind to take care of his grandparents. Herrington, who rescued those grandparents and dozens of neighbours by boat from their flooded apartment complex, then tried to find an evacuation point in Algiers for himself, and was shot twice at close range with a shotgun and nearly bled to death before neighbours got him to the hospital. The vigilantes shot him because he was black, and because they could get away with it, and because they were inflamed by the news accounts.

The sheriff of the suburb across the Crescent City Connection bridge from downtown New Orleans turned back stranded tourists and locals at gunpoint. "As we approached the bridge," wrote two stranded paramedics, "armed Gretna sheriffs formed a line across the foot of the bridge. Before we were close enough to speak, they began firing their weapons over our heads."

One group of suburban white men who believed the rumours or just anticipated that in the absence of authority we all become monsters became monsters themselves, even as they fantasised they were preserving order. These men in Algiers Point across the river from the city of New Orleans gathered an arsenal and launched their own little murder spree, killing several black men and injuring and threatening others.

They were the real rampaging gangs, and they were not shy about what they did – they boasted of it to videographers and have talked openly about it since. And with confidence, since there have to date been no legal repercussions. They claimed to be defending their property and their neighbourhood, but their most vocal surviving victim, Donnell Herrington, was an armoured truck driver trying to evacuate after he had stayed behind to take care of his grandparents. Herrington, who rescued those grandparents and dozens of neighbours by boat from their flooded apartment complex, then tried to find an evacuation point in Algiers for himself, and was shot twice at close range with a shotgun and nearly bled to death before neighbours got him to the hospital. The vigilantes shot him because he was black, and because they could get away with it, and because they were inflamed by the news accounts.

looks to me like a perfect example of why the government should not run health care. they just keep handing out money with no oversight or control. doesn't look racial to me, just fucked up.

looks to me like a perfect example of why the government should not run health care. they just keep handing out money with no oversight or control. doesn't look racial to me, just fucked up.

Yup... hard to see the forest for the trees when all the trees are just like you.

What exactly did you want me to read from that website? I still haven't seen anything to back up your claim that the Republican state next door has received more money.

What a very neutral and unbiased article. Very informative and full of facts.

I didn't say racism doesn't exist. I said I hate it when people cry racism when talking about slow response times. Jesse Jackson bitching about the federal government not caring about black people is crap. It took FEMA just as long to get to south Mississippi as it did to reach N.O. and nobody gave a shit. The Mayor of the damn city was black, but it wasn't his fault was it? He's not the racist one. It was the evil white man with his guns and his monies.

If the Sheriff of that city really shot at people for no reason then he should be fired at the least. If people in N.O. weren't shooting at rescue helicopters (which they were. i had a friend flying them) then maybe they would've gotten help a little quicker. Maybe if the news didn't show gun fire and reports of gangs and looting then the Sheriff wouldn't need to worry about people coming into his town.

People only care about racism when it fits their argument. The Mayor could've done more than anyone to evacuate that city and he didn't. He ran out on them. I have very little tolerance for Jesse Jackson or any other person crying about the evil white man when even the (black) mayor didn't do anything to help.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

If the Sheriff of that city really shot at people for no reason then he should be fired at the least. If people in N.O. weren't shooting at rescue helicopters (which they were. i had a friend flying them) then maybe they would've gotten help a little quicker. Maybe if the news didn't show gun fire and reports of gangs and looting then the Sheriff wouldn't need to worry about people coming into his town.

DUDE... does that shark Hook sitting in your intestines hurt more or does the large sinker in your throat.

http://reason.com/archives/2005/12/01/they-shoot-helicopters-dont-th

More important, there has been no official confirmation that a single military helicopter over New Orleans--let alone a National Guard Chinook in the pre-dawn hours of September 1--was fired upon. "I was at the Superdome for eight days, and I don't remember hearing anything about a helicopter getting shot at," says Maj. Ed Bush, public affairs officer for the Louisiana Air National Guard. With hundreds of Guard troops always on duty inside and outside the Superdome before, during, and after Hurricane Katrina, if there had been gunfire, "we would have heard it," Bush maintains. "The instant reaction over the radio would have been overwhelming."

The Air Force, to which the Air National Guard reports, also has zero record of helicopter sniping. "We investigated one incident and it turned out to have been shooting on the ground, not at the helicopter," Air Force Maj. Mike Young told The New York Times on September 29.

See what happens when you get your story from FAUX News