kallend

Republicans for gang rape

WOW, I thought these guys hit bottom already. Love to hear Rush's take on this. I think this thread will be vacant of any conservative posters.

I'm a conservative (not Republican) and I think it's pretty bad that they are not supporting this, even of they don't like Al Franken. I'm also not surprised.

Is that what you wanted? [:/]

For reference, here's the text of the amendment:

SA 2588. Mr. FRANKEN (for himself and Ms. Landrieu) submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill H.R. 3326, making appropriations for the Department of Defense for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2010, and for other purposes; as follows:

On page 245, between lines 8 and 9, insert the following:

Sec. 8104. (a) None of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used for any existing or new Federal contract if the contractor or a subcontractor at any tier requires that an employee or independent contractor, as a condition of employment, sign a contract that mandates that the employee or independent contractor performing work under the contract or subcontract resolve through arbitration any claim under title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 or any tort related to or arising out of sexual assault or harassment, including assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, false imprisonment, or negligent hiring, supervision, or retention.

(b) The prohibition in subsection (a) does not apply with respect to employment contracts that may not be enforced in a court of the United States.

And the whole bill is located here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c111:./temp/~c111bWN2ON

(note that the amendment ended up as Sec. 8118, rather than Sec. 8104 if you want to look for it.)

WOW, I thought these guys hit bottom already. Love to hear Rush's take on this. I think this thread will be vacant of any conservative posters.

I'm a conservative (not Republican) and I think it's pretty bad that they are not supporting this, even of they don't like Al Franken. I'm also not surprised.

Is that what you wanted? [:/]

It's always the new guy to fuck things upB|. JK. The typical uber conservative is so ghey in love with corporatism that they don't want to regulate them in any way, so that was the typical response to which I was referring.

At this point Franken could support cutting taxes by 30% across the board, eliminating the NEA and allowing universal assault weapon ownership everywhere in the US - and republicans would vote against it, because they want him to fail. It really has nothing to do with rape or Halliburton, it has to do with scorched-earth politics. They don't want to give him a win.

At this point Franken could support cutting taxes by 30% across the board, eliminating the NEA and allowing universal assault weapon ownership everywhere in the US - and republicans would vote against it, because they want him to fail. It really has nothing to do with rape or Halliburton, it has to do with scorched-earth politics. They don't want to give him a win.

Probably, but for anyone that watches politics, it's a huge loss for the R's, I would think.

Ok, just to liven things up, I'll play Devil's Advocate here.
Unless they are grossly negligent, why should a contractor be held responsible for the illegal deeds of it's employees? And, if they are grossly negligent and create an atmosphere that encourages sexual harrassment, including rape, will not most courts throw out any clause in an employees contract whereby the employees agrees not to file suit?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

>Unless they are grossly negligent, why should a contractor be held
>responsible for the illegal deeds of it's employees?

If the employees commit a crime outside their workplace, and the company cooperates with authorities as needed, then no responsibility ensues.

If it happens in housing they administer, and is between employees, and appears to be organized, and the company tries to interfere with the investigation (i.e. "losing" the rape kit) then yes, they may become responsible.

>And, if they are grossly negligent and create an atmosphere that
>encourages sexual harrassment, including rape, will not most courts throw
>out any clause in an employees contract whereby the employees agrees
>not to file suit?

If it were a criminal matter, yes. However, as I understand it, due to the legal structure set up for US contractors in Iraq, it cannot be prosecuted in a criminal court, and must instead go through a civil court. Thus the clause has more effect than it otherwise would.

Fortunately in this case, after much legal maneuverings, a court has decided she can sue. Ironically they decided this because the rape could not possibly be construed as part of her employment, and thus cannot be covered by an employment contract. This decision will no doubt be used against the rape victim by Halliburton lawyers.

This is going to be a long, messy, ugly trial. I am all for adding legislation to take away the rape loophole, so that at least the US government does not give tax money to corporations who would try to exploit such a loophole.

I am all for adding legislation to take away the rape loophole, so that at least the US government does not give tax money to corporations who would try to exploit such a loophole.

I agree 100%. Just because a business is a contractor with the US government should not mean they are immune from the same responsibilities as a business that is not a contractor with the government.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

You guys are funny:D:D

I see nothing funny about gang rape. YMMV, of course.

Neither do I teach. But the fact is you twist things to try and make points just as you have here with my polst:D:D (see, that is funny)

Now why dont you go start a thread about Kenndy and Dodd and their waitress standwich[:/]

teach......
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If the employees commit a crime outside their workplace, and the company cooperates with authorities as needed, then no responsibility ensues.

Unless the employer doesn't conduct a background check and given the circumstances, trapped over there in hell, an employee who has like criminal conduct convictions in his past commits a like crime, well, it was forseeable.

But if teh co agrees to all investigations and the alleged violator doesn't have a record and the co has no way of knowing the employee would behave likethat, I don't see negligence.

Ironically they decided this because the rape could not possibly be construed as part of her employment, and thus cannot be covered by an employment contract.

Which is the right decision. I worked for Boeing and cut my finger badly on some exotic metal so I went to the local Boeing paramedic. Before I receieved care the paramedics wante dme to sign a waiver not to sue....corp America is so greedy and pathetic. Of course I refused and of course I didn't sue; what a fucking joke the gov has let the country get to. Just as with this girl's contract being unenforceable, mine would have been to, but ti should be illegal and sanctionable to even draw up a contract like that.

On another note I've worked military contracts and I felt like a whore. :P

This is going to be a long, messy, ugly trial. I am all for adding legislation to take away the rape loophole, so that at least the US government does not give tax money to corporations who would try to exploit such a loophole.

Basically what I wrote. Or if a corporation draws up a contract with such unconscionability such as this that the judge/jury can declare the ultimate damges trebble in a seperate hearing after any monetary award.

Neither do I teach. But the fact is you twist things to try and make points just as you have here with my polst:D:D (see, that is funny)

Now why dont you go start a thread about Kenndy and Dodd and their waitress standwich[:/]

teach......

Hey, Rush is here; how's your party doing? Looking fwd to the 1960's where the Dems held like 68 seats in the Senate? And then say: the Dems did it too.

teach......

Hey, Rush is here; how's your party doing? Looking fwd to the 1960's where the Dems held like 68 seats in the Senate? And then say: the Dems did it too.

Hi teach's student!:)
Been angry lately. Obamas free HC will save you:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln