Ion01

Indroctrinization\brainwashing....

A possible Trend?

A school principal has apologized for showing a video at an assembly that a politically conservative group leader is calling "radical, leftist propaganda."

Children at Eagle Bay Elementary School in Farmington were shown a short video called "I pledge" on Aug. 28. The video opens with an image of President Barack Obama and part of a speech in which he says, "Let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other." The video then features celebrities making pledges about how they will help the president and the world -- and that's where some say the problem lies.

Many pledges, such as supporting local food banks, smiling more, and caring for the elderly are noncontroversial. But other pledges, such as "to never give anyone the finger when I'm driving again," "to sell my obnoxious car and buy a hybrid" and to advance stem cell research cross the line, some say.

"Showing the video in a public school is completely inappropriate," said Jennifer Cieslewicz, whose daughter is a first-grader at the school. "I don't believe a video such as this that promotes certain values should be shown to elementary students, especially without parents being aware. "

Chris Williams, Davis School District spokesman, said school principal Ofelia Wade and school PTA leaders decided to show the video as part of an assembly about the school's theme for the year, service. He said the PTA board chose the video and Wade did not see it before it was shown in the assembly.

"It got to a point where she turned to her assistant and said, 'Oops, I wish I would have seen this before. I don't think I would have shown it,' " Williams said. He said Wade could see how some adults might find the video political.

"She acknowledges she was wrong and apologizes for it and says she's sorry," Williams said. Attempts to reach school PTA leaders Tuesday

The Chalkboard blog
Reporters for The Salt Lake Tribune education desk cover issues from early education and parenting to K-12 and higher education in Utah..
The latest post:
Some schools served recalled foods to kids Wednesday, September 23, 2009
evening were unsuccessful.

Williams said Wade plans to send a letter home to parents Wednesday about the issue.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said the video was blatantly political. She said other offensive pledges included, "I pledge to be of service to Barack Obama," "I pledge allegiance to the funk, to the united funk of funkadelica," and pledges to not use plastic grocery bags and not flush the toilet after urinating.

"It's very inappropriate to show a radical, leftist propaganda piece that political to children," Ruzicka said. "If parents want their children to learn about those things and do them in the home, wonderful, fine, but it's not the place of the school to show a one-sided propaganda piece to children without parents knowing about it."

Cieslewicz said such values should be decided in the home, not at school.

"They shouldn't be troubling our youth with the woes of the world and making them feel like we're in slavery or they have to worry about how many times they flush the toilet or if they have a plastic water bottle," Cieslewicz said, referring to pledges in the video to "end slavery."

Ruzicka said she contacted local media about the video after receiving complaints from several parents. Ruzicka said she worried the video's messages would confuse children whose parents might choose to use plastic bags when shopping or who want their children to flush the toilet after every use. Also she said she didn't like a pledge "to be of service to Barack Obama" as he is here to serve Americans, not the other way around.

Ruzicka said she'd like to see the school district send a link to the video to all parents before an upcoming back-to-school night so they can voice their opinions and discuss it with their children. Williams said it's unlikely the district will send out a link, but parents are welcome to access the video on YouTube.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13249171?_requestid=5883011

There has also be a case of this same pledge being show along with a "worksheet" for the children to fill out!

A parent in the Clark County School District of Las Vegas, Henderson area reported January 27th that his son, who is in 1st grade, came home yesterday saying that he didn't want to go back to school anymore.

When asked why, the boy said that during the Pledge of Allegiance the teacher put up a large image of Obama next to the flag.

Thinking that the boy might be exaggerating, the man asked his son if he was sure, and suggested that by "large" he might mean an 8x10 photo of the president. The boy apparently said "No, it is a large picture of Obama and when we are done, the teacher turns off the image."

The same thing was not done for President Bush last year.

After investigating this morning, the other parent reported that what the boy said was true.

At least three of the five classrooms have an overhead projector and as the children stand to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, the teacher turns on the classroom overhead and a full body image of Obama, with six U.S. flags behind him, comes up about 4 feet away from the flag that hangs on the wall. The screen is apparently around five feet by six feet.

In the image, President Obama appears to be staring straight out with no facial expression, just a serious look. All of the kids in each class faced the President, instead of the flag that hangs in the corner.

Local parents are up in arms over this situation. Teachers clearly do not realize the gravity of what they are doing.

Update Jan 28th: The parents spoke to the Vice-Principal this afternoon. He said he would take care of it. I will check with them tomorrow and update this story.

Update Jan 29th: The teachers at the school today talked to the children about flag etiquette and the meaning of the flag and why the pledge is made. The lights were left on in the room, so the flag could be clearly seen and the children were told that they should face towards and look at the flag. The parent spoke to the Principal and the child's teacher. The Principal said they would not show the image of the president at the same time as the pledge tomorrow. The Principal apologized for causing offense. The parent and Principal and teacher left on good terms.

Anyone can make a mistake - the measure of a person is what they do next. The Principal and the teachers did well - this is a good thing.

Note: the blogosphere is now saying this is a hoax because the school has not been named or the school district has not confimed it. Instead of seeing this as a situation that was amicably resolved, it is seen as an attack on Obama, which it never was, and an attack on the flag, which it never was. It is not a hoax.

http://newsblaze.com/story/20090127224509nnnn.nb/topstory.html

Here is a song children are being taught in one school!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aqMTD5UFmU

Notice things in the song like "equal work means equal pay...." Sound like communism to me....

Also "yellow, black, and white. All are equal in his (obama's) sight...."

Or how about this one.....apparently they can only accomplish thier goals because of Obama.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqF19Phn0Og

And did anyone notice how in obama's speech to the UN General Assembly how whenever he talked about something "bad" about the US he used all inclusing terms like "the US" or "Americans" but when it was something good it was typically Obama who had done it....like he said "On my first day in office, I prohibited - without exception or equivocation - the use of torture.....I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed.....I have made clear that we will help Iraqis transition to full responsibility for their future.... have outlined a comprehensive agenda to seek the goal of a world without nuclear weapons....I....I.....I....."

And why is it if someone doesn't agree with or opposes things like healthcare we are against HIM....Obama. Why is it not against the policy or even the administration? No....its against OBAMA!

Does anyone remember this quote?
"I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God."

Do you remember the worksheet, that was abandoned after the outcry, for obama's speech to the schools? It asked things like "What is Obama asking me to do? What can I do to help Obama?"

Has anyone noticed a trend? Can't you see the similarities to countries like Cuba or North Korea, or, how blind are you to the obvious?

Also, does it not worry anyone that the the enemies of this country like Obama and some have even voiced that in their speeches to the UN?
Here is one such example:
Libyan President Muammar al-Qadhafi showered Barack Obama with unexpected praise on Wednesday, telling the U.N. General Assembly he hoped Obama "can stay forever as the president of the United States."

>Libyan President Muammar al-Qadhafi showered Barack Obama with
>unexpected praise on Wednesday, telling the U.N. General Assembly he
>hoped Obama "can stay forever as the president of the United States."

Let's see:

In the past 10 years, Libya has voluntarily abandoned its WMD programs at our request, and we've removed them from the list of states that sponsor terrorism. They've publicly renounced support of any terrorist groups. We have ambassadors there; they have ambassadors here. We've given them money in reparations for Libyans we've killed in the past; they've given us money in reparations for Americans they've killed in the past.

That's your example of an enemy? You'd prefer they were sponsoring terrorism and that we were bombing them? If that happened, would you consider them friends?

I didn't know that "not giving the finger to anybody while driving," and "not flushing after peeing," was a left or right ideaology. I think that it's just wrong to talk about to first graders period, but not wrong in a sense that it is purely a "Leftist" or "Rightist" issue.

I am almost having a hard time believing that this was shown to first graders. No matter who the video was done by-- left, right, purple, black, green, woman, man, referencing giving somebody the finger is not something that a first grader is going to understand and not something you want them asking questions about at that point. It's so riduculous sounding that it almost sounds like its from the Onion.

I just did a quick search to find the original article of this, and it looks like the principal choose this video because it was going to talk about service and things like pledging to be good to one another, elderly, foodbanks, etc, but he did not preview it before he showed it and just assumed it was going to be appropriate for the assembly. Sadly, it was not, and sounds like it had a more adult comedic spin on it because I don't think anybody can say, "pledge to not give the finger to anybody while driving," is something that can be taken seriously.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

>Libyan President Muammar al-Qadhafi showered Barack Obama with
>unexpected praise on Wednesday, telling the U.N. General Assembly he
>hoped Obama "can stay forever as the president of the United States."

Let's see:

In the past 10 years, Libya has voluntarily abandoned its WMD programs at our request, and we've removed them from the list of states that sponsor terrorism. They've publicly renounced support of any terrorist groups. We have ambassadors there; they have ambassadors here. We've given them money in reparations for Libyans we've killed in the past; they've given us money in reparations for Americans they've killed in the past.

That's your example of an enemy? You'd prefer they were sponsoring terrorism and that we were bombing them? If that happened, would you consider them friends?

Thats what you don't get.....our leaders are now freinds with the dictators! We give them reparations? Are you kidding me? You are okay with that?

Here is more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csOrHnaGafg

A quote form the beginning of the video:
Its the governments job to watch out for us, to take care of us...thats their job.

What? That is not their job!

In that case I guess we can disband all branches of the military, all police and all fire departments, all public health departments, and just look out for ourselves.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Here is more!

Its the governments job to watch out for us, to take care of us...thats their job.

In that case I guess we can disband all branches of the military, all police and all fire departments, all public health departments, and just look out for ourselves.

Exactly what I was just about to say.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Here is more!

The governments job is to protect our freedoms! Thats where the police and military comes in! And I would be fine with privating the "health department" and even fire departments!

Here is more!

The governments job is to protect our freedoms! Thats where the police and military comes in! And I would be fine with privating the "health department" and even fire departments!

Yeah, we had great city fires when fire departments were private. Great killer epidemics before public health departments and the CDC, too. Lots of deaths due to corrupted food prior to the FDA. I guess you're OK with that just so long as you're not personally affected.

>Thats what you don't get.....our leaders are now freinds with the dictators!

Yes! Much better to have dictators treat us with respect and fear than with contempt, eh?

>We give them reparations? Are you kidding me? You are okay with that?

Absolutely! We gave them $300 million; they gave us $1.8 billion. I am totally OK with that sort of exchange.

But if that really offends you, perhaps you could come up with $1.5 billion so we can undo it and not raise your taxes.

Here is more!

Yeah, we had great city fires when fire departments were private. Great killer epidemics before public health departments and the CDC, too. Lots of deaths due to corrupted food prior to the FDA. I guess you're OK with that just so long as you're not personally affected.

First, you have no facts to back that up. Second, the FDA is a huge problem. One such example is irradiation of food. Food posioning could be completely destroyed with irradiation with no side effects but because the FDA just doesn't beleive the data so 5000 americans die every year from food posioning. Good job FDA.
The idea that without the government such regulation would not exist is rediculous. Maybe the government should get involved in skydiving.....Oh....wait.....we regulate ourselves don't we? Thats incredible!
In addition many industries have standards that everyone follows...and if you don't you are a failure in that industry due to the free market, not government regulation! For example, OSHA has many safety standards, as a result of following thier rules the only recordable injury we had this year was because we followed their idiotic rules or the government would have shut us down. The reality is also that we follow thier rules to for fear of the government but becuase our customers require that we have near perfect safety records and in order to accomplish that we have to go well beyond OSHA requirements. Our standards, due to our customers, for safety are much higher and farther reaching through out our company than anything OSHA requires. OSHA Requirements are only incidental and, infact, constrains us in such a way that it makes it more difficult for us to truely operate safely!

So lets get the government involved in skydiving because its just an industry just like any other industry and without government regulation the greedy DZO will continue to use and exploit, and even kill you! Without government control there is only anarchy!

>Thats what you don't get.....our leaders are now freinds with the dictators!

Yes! Much better to have dictators treat us with respect and fear than with contempt, eh?

>We give them reparations? Are you kidding me? You are okay with that?

Absolutely! We gave them $300 million; they gave us $1.8 billion. I am totally OK with that sort of exchange.

But if that really offends you, perhaps you could come up with $1.5 billion so we can undo it and not raise your taxes.

Once again....there is no fear or respect only freindship!

So, if a business makes a profit they are evil, corrupt and greedy but if the Fed makes 1.5 billion from a dictator they are not evil, corrupt, or even greedy? I don't care how much was made there should be no such dealing with a government like that!

Thats what you don't get.....our leaders are now freinds with the dictators! We give them reparations? Are you kidding me? You are okay with that?

When does "now" begin in your timeline?

My candidate for most official interaction with dictators as an official representative of the USG is former Sec of State Kissinger. One might suggest other candidates.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

>In addition many industries have standards that everyone follows...and
>if you don't you are a failure in that industry due to the free market, not
>government regulation!

Google the Triangle Shirtwaist company, or the Donora smog of 1948. It's "free market" solutions like those that resulted in the creation of OSHA (and organizations like it.)

> Our standards, due to our customers, for safety are much higher and
>farther reaching through out our company than anything OSHA requires.

Cool! Unfortunately, history has shown that not everyone is as conscientious as your company is. Some, if given the latitude to do so, would have no problems seeing 20 people a year die in their company if it reduced the price of their product and made them more competitive.

>So lets get the government involved in skydiving because its just
>an industry just like any other industry and without government regulation
>the greedy DZO will continue to use and exploit, and even kill you!

Uh, dude, the government IS involved with skydiving - and I suspect you would not like the results of removing them.

>Once again....there is no fear or respect only freindship!

When a dictator is tripping all over himself to say how friendly he is with our president, it's not because he's unafraid.

>So, if a business makes a profit they are evil, corrupt and greedy but
>if the Fed makes 1.5 billion from a dictator they are not evil, corrupt, or
>even greedy?

No. If a business makes a profit they are not necessarily evil or corrupt. They may be greedy but most capitalists are.

Like I said, if you have the money (or you are OK with a tax increase to pay for it) then by all means, cancel all such compromises.

First, you have no facts to back that up. Second, the FDA is a huge problem. One such example is irradiation of food. Food posioning could be completely destroyed with irradiation with no side effects but because the FDA just doesn't beleive the data so 5000 americans die every year from food posioning. Good job FDA.

Um.... FDA currently allows irradiation of meat and vegetables. They just require that the food be labelled as irradiated. Irradiation does nothing about botulinum toxin that is already in the food. Nor does it do anything about contamination that occurs during preparation or shipment.

Um.... FDA currently allows irradiation of meat and vegetables. They just require that the food be labelled as irradiated. Irradiation does nothing about botulinum toxin that is already in the food. Nor does it do anything about contamination that occurs during preparation or shipment.

It's unfair to use facts to rebut Ion01's rants.