Darius11

Sexism, is it ok when it has positive outcome? Or is it always wrong?

The background for this question. I was watching the Indy car race, and every time I have watched it there is commercial after commercial with Danica Patrick talking about how hardcore she is or some BS.

The problem I have with this is that she is not a xtimes world champion, I believe she is 10th this season and has one race win overall.

So she is getting the attention, and the endorsement deals for one reason her sex. Yet I don’t see outrage I bet she has a huge feminist following.

I have the same issue with Female tennis players getting paid the same as the men for doing less work.

Does this and other similar situations bother any of the feminist we have on here?

Or is it not sexist if the outcome is positive or has financial reward?

Kind of the same logic as if the hot guys stairs at your chest he is cute and knows what he wants, but the ugly dude who did the same thing is the creep and needs to be reported.

I am curios in all opinions, specially the ladies of dz.com
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I'll have to preface this by saying that I haven't seent he commercials or know anything about Danica Patrick or the Indy, but my first thought is that it might be because of her GENDER that she's getting the attention. If she's the first woman to do so well in this arena, then it's kinda cool, and the attention is warranted, imho.

I don't know about women tennis players being paid more for doing less, but I do know that women are HISTORICALLY paid less for doing at least as much. It's nice to see women on equal footing from time-to-time.

If it's all about tits and ass, then that's different, but I kinda doubt that that's the situation, given the level of these women's achievement.

~linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

It's sorta like most of the music industry. These are hot women who are talented. Pretty much in that order.

Are there less attractive women out there as talented or more talented? Probably, but they aren't going to get the endorsements deals.

Anna Kournikova is a prime example.

It's more marketability than sexism though. Sex sells.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>The problem I have with this is that she is not a xtimes world champion,
>I believe she is 10th this season and has one race win overall.

She's also the first woman to make it this far, which makes her newsworthy. (It's the "first" part, not the "woman" part, that makes it so.)

I think if we decide that we will give more merit to someone’s action simply because of there sex then we are moving away from equality.

If you want to not be treated differently that is fine in my book. If you want special treatment and recognition because of your sex sometimes but then want to be viewed as a person and not a sex when it is convenient then you’re a hypocrite (not you personally)

I don't know about women tennis players being paid more for doing less,

The woman players get the same amount of money as the men but play a lot less tennis. This has been an issue that has been brought up specially by John McEnroe.

If it's all about tits and ass, then that's different, but I kinda doubt that that's the situation, given the level of these women's achievement.

Its not just tits and ass. She can drive, but if you give someone who got a C the respect and opportunity of someone who got an A+ are you not saying that yes there is a difference and we are not equal?

Are woman naturally handicaped when it comes to driving so when they do avrage they should be treated as if they did great? I don't think so.

The whole wind in the hair and the over the top attempted at being sexy is a bit much when your selling royal purple. I just lose all respect for her (and yes I know she doesn’t care). I see her as prostituting her self. If you want to be respected as a driver then drive.
It’s obvious that she is getting the attention because of her tits and ass. I just find that as disturbing as woman not being allowed to vote, or not getting equal pay for equal work.

Inequality is inequality.

>The problem I have with this is that she is not a xtimes world champion,
>I believe she is 10th this season and has one race win overall.

She's also the first woman to make it this far, which makes her newsworthy. (It's the "first" part, not the "woman" part, that makes it so.)

Its not like it was illegal for her to become a race car driver, some jobs attract certain types of people.

So she is getting the attention, and the endorsement deals for one reason her sex.

I disagree. She is getting these deals because she is hot and she is racing for a major team (Andretti) and came up with Rahal.

Milka Duno is just as hot (and more educated) but doesn't seem to be racing as well. She's ten years older and not from the U.S. of A. Sarah Fisher made some waves a few years ago and has endorsements, but she never had the buzz and PR machines behind her.

Yes, Danica is receiving more than her share of coverage. Or uncoverage (woo hoo Swimsuit Edition!) But she HAS won a race.

I think this separates her from the likes of Anna Kournikova - hot and talented but never won anything.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Are there less attractive women out there as talented or more talented? Probably, but they aren't going to get the endorsements deals.

Anna Kournikova is a prime example.

It's more marketability than sexism though. Sex sells.

Marketability is why Dale Earnhart Jr. gets a lot of endorsment deals, also.