masterblaster72

Mickey Rourke's beloved brown and white Chihuahua dies at 18

from here

Oscar nominee Mickey Rourke's beloved Chihuahua has died just days before the actor hopes to crown his own professional resurrection at Sunday's Academy Awards ceremony.

Very important news to start the day, on the front page of Yahoo. I'm sure it's going to be all over the papers and news channels today and tomorrow, but thought I'd get this in the forums before someone else did.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

The media is catering to "The American Idol" generation. I myself don't give a damn about his dead dog but it is sad that some people do.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

The media is catering to "The American Idol" generation. I myself don't give a damn about his dead dog but it is sad that some people do.

Yup, that's why I posted this in Speaker's Corner. Truly sad.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

It's not just a current generation. "Celebrity journalism" has been around since well before we were born; and that's the audience this story is catering to. For example, I used to think Angelina Jolie was attractive. Now, thanks to the overkill of seeing her face on my screen or on magazine covers every single goddam day for the past 3 years, I've decided to burn her in effigy this weekend.

It's not just a current generation. "Celebrity journalism" has been around since well before we were born; and that's the audience this story is catering to. For example, I used to think Angelina Jolie was attractive. Now, thanks to the overkill of seeing her face on my screen or on magazine covers every single goddam day for the past 3 years, I've decided to burn her in effigy this weekend.

That sounds good. I will bring an effigy of Paris and Britney and we can make that fire burn a little brighter.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

That sounds good. I will bring an effigy of Paris and Britney and we can make that fire burn a little brighter.

I'll bring the cast of "He's Just Not That Into You" for good measure.

OMFG. Now Socks has gone to the scratching post in the sky. What of the children?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/20/socks.obit/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Socks, the cat who won international fame during his years in the Clinton White House, was euthanized Friday after months of treatment for cancer.

We're seeing a great deal of this kind of journalism these days, where private personal grief is being sold as public grief..... The death of Princess Diana was probably the pinnacle of this sickening trend and there is a 'front page' news story in the U.K at the moment that is covering the dieing days of a Z-list reality T.V 'celeb' who has cancer.

Now this is a very sad story for her friends and family but I personally hate this kind of news story as it sensationalises grief and in many respects trivialises it.

There are many, many other (poorer!!) families that have to go through the same process alone and can't benefit from the Cheque Book journalism that these celebs do.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome