stitch

Lon Horiuchi and H-S Precision

http://blog.ryjones.org/2008/11/25/cross-hs-precision-off-my-list/

Speculations are flying all over the internet after rifle manufacturer H-S Precision used an endorsement from Lon Horiuchi on the back cover of their catalog.

I ordered a new catalog from their webite tonight just to see if it would show up with that page attached.

H-S Precision hasn't issued any sort of statement so far as to why they would use him as a spokesman.

According to John Rich, Lon Horiuchi is an actual H-S Precision employee, although I can't find any facts to back this up.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Split off from the "DPMS LR 308" thread, to get people up to speed here on this new thread:

A theory being circulated is the ad company that made up their catalogs didn't know who LH was and thought statements printed on the back of the catalog would help rather than hurt the company. Apparently someone f'ed up. I'm going to follow this to see how it plays out.

It doesn't really matter if they just pull his feature off the back page of the catalog. That's not good enough.

The fact is, they have in their employ, a former FBI sniper who has murdered one or more people in bad shootings, and he's being used by them to sell sniper rifles to the FBI.

That's unacceptable, and politically incorrect as hell.

It's like using a Charles Manson endorsement to sell record albums from the Beetles:
"Charles loves the old Beetles albums, especially the "white" album, and the song "Helter Skelter". He really digs the secret messages telling him to start a race war by murdering whites and blaming it on blacks, and he's also taken this cue to build his hideout in the desert to escape the oncoming war. Why don't you buy this album too, and see what it speaks to you?"

And here's the news item from Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (RMGO) showing an image of the H-S Precision advertisement featuring Lon Horiuchi:

http://www.rmgo.org/email/hsprecision.htm

He signs the endorsement "FBI Program Manager & COTR", presumably of H-S Precision. (What the heck is "COTR"?)

Yeah, he's the one that shot Randy Weaver's wife to death while she was standing in a doorway holding a baby, in Idaho. And he also fired rounds on the Branch Davidian's in Texas.

More research...

The RMGO message is a little confusing and could be misinterpreted.

Correction: Horiuchi does not actually seem to be an employee of H-S Precision. He is the Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR), or in other words, the federal employee with the FBI, who is responsible for the technical evaluation of FBI sniper rifles from various manufacturers. He has endorsed the H-S rifle, but is not an employee of H-S. H-S is using his endorsement in advertising on their catalog.

That's still a bad move to use an infamous murderer in an advertisement endorsing your product. H-S could have talked about how they won the sniper rifle competition for the FBI, without mentioning Horiuchi's role in it.

Perhaps their marketing dept was inspired by this scene from "Full Metal Jacket":

HARTMAN
Do any of you people know who Charles Whitman was?

No response.

HARTMAN
None of you dumbasses knows?

COWBOY raises his hand.

HARTMAN
Private Cowboy?

COWBOY
Sir, he was that guy who shot all those people from that tower in
Austin, Texas, sir!

HARTMAN
That's affirmative. Charles Whitman killed twenty people from a
twenty-eight-storey observation tower at the University of Texas from
distances up to four hundred yards.

HARTMAN looks around.

HARTMAN
Anybody know who Lee Harvey Oswald was?

Almost everybody raises his hand.

HARTMAN
Private Snowball?

SNOWBALL
Sir, he shot Kennedy, sir!

HARTMAN
That's right, and do you know how far away he was?

SNOWBALL
Sir, it was pretty far! From that book suppository building, sir!

The recruits laugh at "suppository. "

HARTMAN
All right, knock it off! Two hundred and fifty feet! He was two hundred and
fifty feet away and shooting at a moving target. Oswald got off three rounds
with an old Italian bolt action rifle in only six seconds and scored two hits,
including a head shot! Do any of you people know where these individuals
learned to shoot?

JOKER raises his hand.

HARTMAN
Private Joker?

JOKER
Sir, in the Marines, sir!

HARTMAN
In the Marines! Outstanding! Those individuals showed what one motivated
marine and his rifle can do! And before you ladies leave my island, you will
be able to do the same thing!

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Split off from the "DPMS LR 308" thread, to get people up to speed here on this new thread:

A theory being circulated is the ad company that made up their catalogs didn't know who LH was and thought statements printed on the back of the catalog would help rather than hurt the company. Apparently someone f'ed up. I'm going to follow this to see how it plays out.

It doesn't really matter if they just pull his feature off the back page of the catalog. That's not good enough.

The fact is, they have in their employ, a former FBI sniper who has murdered one or more people in bad shootings, and he's being used by them to sell sniper rifles to the FBI.

It's like using a Charles Manson endorsement to sell record albums from the Beetles:
"Charles loves the old Beetles albums, especially the "white" album, and the song "Helter Skelter". He really digs the secret messages telling him to start a race war by murdering whites and blaming it on blacks, and he's also taken this cue to build his hideout in the desert to escape the oncoming war. Why don't you buy this album too, and see what it speaks to you?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beetle --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jIEGZwLPvo:SSpell ther name right dumbass. They derserve the respect.(Tina said that) ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87yq372R4Ts
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

(What the heck is "COTR"?)

Within federal agencies it usually means a specialized contracting officer, one who is certified to recommend, make, sign, and amend contracts for the government, e.g., between the FBI & private contractors. All COTRs are also Contracting Officers (COs), but all COs are not COTRs. Stands for Contracting Officer Technical Representative or some such.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I don't know, who better than a murderer to advertize murder weapons.

Embarrassing to you, maybe.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.