Thanatos340

Democracy??

The older I get the more I realize Democracy is a pretty lousy way to run much of anything.

Heinlein once wrote something to the effect of "The inherent Flaw in Democracy is that it only works until the Politicians realize they can buy your vote with your own money".

I think they have figured that out.[:/]

Each Politician seems to be trying to buy our Vote by either telling us they will let us keep more of our money or by telling us they will take more of someone else’s money and give that to us in some form or another.

The "Warm Body" concepts of democracy are the most frightening. When any Warm Body can cast a vote and it has the same weight as the vote of those that are somewhat educated and informed you get what we have now.

Anther great Quote from Heinlein, "Democracy can't work. Mathematicians, peasants, and animals, that's all there is — so democracy, a theory based on the assumption that mathematicians and peasants are equal, can never work. Wisdom is not additive; its maximum is that of the wisest man in a given group. "

Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something.

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.

So with.. I think I have finally decided who I will be voting for this election.
I am writing in Robert Heinlein - More life than the others and better ideas!!

Too bad he is dead. He would have made a great Ruler.;)

>The human race divides politically into those who want people to be
>controlled and those who have no such desire.

It also divides into people who wish _themselves_ to be controlled (or protected, or defended) and those who not. It is this underlying desire in a lot of people that drives us toward placing so much of our government under a single leader, one we can either defend to the death or slander as best we can.

>The older I get the more I realize Democracy is a pretty lousy way to run
>much of anything.

It definitely is. Its only advantage is that it's better than the alternatives.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

-- Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Some writers have so confounded society with government, as to leave little or no distinction between them; whereas they are not only different, but have different origins. Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first is a patron, the last a punisher.

Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one: for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries by a government, which we might expect in a country without government, our calamity is heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer. Government, like dress, is the badge of lost innocence; the palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise. For were the impulses of conscience clear, uniform and irresistibly obeyed, man would need no other law-giver; but that not being the case, he finds it necessary to surrender up a part of his property to furnish means for the protection of the rest; and this he is induced to do by the same prudence which in every other case advises him, out of two evils to choose the least. Wherefore, security being the true design and end of government, it unanswerably follows that whatever form thereof appears most likely to ensure it to us, with the least expence and greatest benefit, is preferable to all others.

www.FourWheelerHB.com