ladyskydiver

Would you eat ice cream made from human milk?

That's what PETA is asking Ben & Jerry's to do.

Not that I can see it happening, but that would be 1 way to make sure that I never ate ice cream again. :S

PETA is NOT asking Ben & Jerry's to make their ice cream from breastmilk. They are making a point. The article (maybe not this one, but countless others, acknowledge that.)

And yes, PETA uses extreme methods to make points.j They sink in with some people. They turn others off.

There is SO much money and special interest in agribusiness that things like animal compassion, health and welfare of humans, etc. get lost to greed. Sometimes bigger than life tactics are needed to get attention.

They believe, as do I, that in general, it's the extremes that shift the middle.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I see your point. But that's my problem with anything "extreme" - either the extremist is honest and therefore perceived as nuts or the extremist is dishonest and also perceived as nuts.

I find extremes in my job all too often. I am weary of it...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I see your point. But that's my problem with anything "extreme" - either the extremist is honest and therefore perceived as nuts or the extremist is dishonest and also perceived as nuts.

Severe allergies to nuts is becoming increasingly prevalent, particularly in the developed world.

Ah. Welcome to Phase 3.

The Million Dollar question is WHO perceives them as nuts. I sure don't - I have respect for those who can devote their lives to a cause that it important to them - no matter how righteous or mundane. The world needs those champions.

If everyone was just like me/you, nothing would evolve, nothing would change.

The middle makes the rules (in most cases), it's the extremes that challenge them. As it should be.

It's not always pretty, it's not always comfortable - but it sure is needed.

(Acknowledging that some people ARE just nuts and find they fit in better in extremist groups because of that.)

Supporting PETA is like supporting a major political party. Even if it has an actual good idea, it's lost in the rest of the extreme bullshit.

On another note:

How's vet school?

:)
Right now, they're in process of ensuring that vet schools do not get dogs/donkeys/etc. to dissect, because the animals can not donate their bodies to science willingly. So, it will be interesting to see what happens when vets come out of school and their first experience with handling the insides of an animal is during an operation and THEN realizing how fragile some of the structures are. [:/]

Anywho...

Vet school's rocking. I'm enjoying it and living here on the island. As of today, I'm 1/4 through my 2nd semester and just finished the main part of "hell week." We've had 4 exams this week with one more on Monday. B| I don't mind final's hell week 'cause well...we're done then but this week's been rough.

On another note:

How's the family? :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

The Million Dollar question is WHO perceives them as nuts. I sure don't - I have respect for those who can devote their lives to a cause that it important to them - no matter how righteous or mundane. The world needs those champions.

The world needs terrorists? Their methods are ok because they are really devoted to their cause?

The world needs terrorists? Their methods are ok because they are really devoted to their cause?

I never endorsed any particular method employed by groups championing a cause.

You're suggesting they're needed.

I don't agree. I find them as acceptable as Christians who kill doctors who perform abortions.

A cause and a method are two entirely different things. I said people who champion causes are needed - and that sometimes extreme measures are needed to draw attention.

I never endorsed terrorizing or killing people as an acceptable way to do it.

No she's not.

I don't agree. I find them as acceptable as Christians who kill doctors who perform abortions.

So it's OK for Jews and Muslims to kill abortion doctors?
Well, that's what you're suggesting.
See how silly this is?

A cause and a method are two entirely different things. I said people who champion causes are needed - and that sometimes extreme measures are needed to draw attention.

I never endorsed terrorizing or killing people as an acceptable way to do it.

So let's try to be clear - what exactly is it that you support? Having ideas?

You don't endorse terrorism, but you do endorse extreme and unconfortable measures? WTF does that really mean?

I answered "No," but I think my own answer is odd.

I'm not willing to drink milk that came from a human breast -- which is supposed to be for humans -- but I'll drink milk that came from a COW'S TEAT, which, well, comes from a fucking COW'S TEAT! :S

It doesn't make much sense, but it's what we're conditioned to.

Some comedian, I think it was Lewis Black, referred to how we really ought to be drinking milk that came from chimpanzees, not cows. Maybe he's onto something? Or is it "on something"? :D

Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

What has PETA done that is on the same level as killing doctors?

Check out PETA's relationship with ALF (the Animal Liberation Front), ELF (Earth Liberation Front) as well as their relationship with SHAC (Stop Huntington Animal Cruelty) and decide for yourself.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

Check out PETA's relationship with ALF (the Animal Liberation Front), ELF (Earth Liberation Front) as well as their relationship with SHAC (Stop Huntington Animal Cruelty) and decide for yourself.

Again, I'm not familiar with any of this. Can you also give a brief description?

(I'm not trying to argue for PETA, since I don't know much about them. But since their actions were compared to killing doctors, I'm just curious what specifically they have done along those lines. And I don't really have time to research the subject right now.)

Those ties are dubious at best - and no deaths gave been attributed to PeTA, ELF, ALF or SHAC. <--I only mention that in response to the comparison between PETA and doctor killers.

You can't just say "check out the ties" between these groups as evidence of something.

I wasn't being evasive, just didn't want to clog up the thread with stuff you can find easily online.

However...

PETA has contributed money to all of those organizations, to the defense funds of individuals acting on behalf of those organizations and has never denied their support of them. It's all a matter of public record.

As far as I know, no deaths can be directly attributed to any of the organizations but it sure isn't for lack of trying:

With regards to ALF and ELF - "The two groups are responsible for more than 600 crimes since 1996, causing (by a very conservative FBI estimate) more than $43 million in damage. ALF’s “press office” brags that in 2002, the two groups committed “100 illegal direct actions” -- like blowing up SUVs, destroying the brakes on seafood delivery trucks, and planting firebombs in restaurants."

"PETA also has given $2,000 to David Wilson, then a national ALF “spokesperson.” The group paid $27,000 for the legal defense of Roger Troen, who was arrested for taking part in an October 1986 burglary and arson at the University of Oregon. It gave $7,500 to Fran Stephanie Trutt, who tried to murder the president of a medical laboratory. It gave $5,000 to Josh Harper, who attacked Native Americans on a whale hunt by throwing smoke bombs, shooting flares, and spraying their faces with chemical fire extinguishers. All of these monies were paid out of tax-exempt funds"

"PETA president Ingrid Newkirk was involved in the multi-million-dollar arson at Michigan State University that resulted in a 57-month prison term for Animal Liberation Front bomber Rodney Coronado. At Coronado’s sentencing hearing, U.S. Attorney Michael Dettmer said that PETA’s Ingrid Newkirk arranged ahead of time to have Coronado send her a pair of FedEx packages from Michigan -- one on the day before he burned the lab down, and the other shortly afterward."

With regards to SHAC:

"Brian Cass was getting out of his car at his home in England on a clear night in February 2001, when he was surrounded by three masked men wielding heavy, wooden objects. Some news reports describe them as baseball bats, others as pickaxe handles. Whatever their weapons, they started to beat the 53-year-old Cass on the head and body without any warning. In a few short moments, his hair and jacket were soaked through with blood.
A neighbor tried to intervene and help him, but was immobilized by a spray of CS gas, in the face, by one of Cass’s attackers. Months later, when the lead attacker was arrested and sentenced to three years in prison, Cass’ marketing director Andrew Gay was attacked on his doorstep with a chemical spray to his eyes, leaving him temporarily blinded and writhing in pain in front of his wife and young daughter."

"Paul and Heather Saunders were entertaining friends one autumn night in 2000 when they heard two loud crashes from the direction of their front patio. They ran toward the noise to find that two large chunks of dried cement had been thrown through their plate-glass patio doors. The two vandals they saw running away paused for a moment, to pour paint stripper all over their guests’ car.

Nearly five months later, a strange package was delivered to the house, addressed to Heather. The bomb squad in their town found enough explosives inside to kill anyone who might have dared to open it."

It goes on and on from there.

All of the above quotes, for ease of quoting, came from www.activistcash.com but the same stories can be found in places like Wikipedia or AP press reports or any number of other places.

So, no, to reiterate, they haven't actually killed a doctor but they have tried or supported those who have tried.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

www.activistcash.com? The Fox News equivalent of fair and balanced reporting. Did you go to the website and read the 'about us' section? Follow the the link to their parent group "The Center for Consumer Freedom"...

Here's a wiki entry for them:

"The Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) (formerly called the "Guest Choice Network") is a front group for the restaurant, alcohol and tobacco industries. It runs media campaigns which oppose the efforts of scientists, doctors, health advocates, environmentalists and groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, calling them "the Nanny Culture -- the growing fraternity of food cops, health care enforcers, anti-meat activists, and meddling bureaucrats who 'know what's best for you.' "

Over 40 percent of the group's 2005 expenditure was paid to Rick Berman's PR company, Berman & Co. for "management services. [1] As part of its operations CCF runs a series of attack websites, including "consumerfreedom.com, activistcash.com, cspiscam.com, animal-scam.com, fishscam.com, obesitymyths.com, physiciansscam.com [and] petalkillsanimals.com".[2]

The ties are dubious.

But google does provide good soundbites...