skittles_of_SDC

How is it not illegal...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>But you know what they say..... a Grand Jury will indict a ham sandwich. I know that's not true, but you may hear that a lot.

Yes it is true. It's a rubber stamp for the prosecutor. It was designed to prevent prosecutors from charging major crimes and keeping innocent people tied up for long periods on serious cases.

What the most pathetic things is is that the records remain sealed forever, which establishes the what a rotten system we really have. What is teh system affraid of? Perhaps using the GJ trascript and the trial transcript and showing witnesses lied.... of course not cops, we all know they never lie.

you misunderstood me, what I meant was that they actually take attendance in ALL my classes and if you miss too many they will fail you out of the course. it doesnt have to do with knowing the material it has to do with being dropped for missing too many classes.

It is you who doesn't understand: if they did that, it would probably be unlawful.

You need to handle this like an adult. Contact the court and see if you can get your GJ service postponed. But at the same time - that means now, rather than later - speak with your professors and explain to them that your GJ summons is a court order with which you are legally required to comply, and request an acommodation. If they don't cooperate, take it up the heirarchy of deans - and when you do, comport yourself thoughtfully and maturely.

You know, attitude is important: you can either continue to view this experience as a pain in the ass, or you can view your grand jury service not only as your civic duty - which it most certainly is - but as an opportunity: part and parcel of the intensive education about the world which you're supposed to be soaking up at this stage of your life. Please give that some thought before your fingers fly over the keyboard to compose another defensive rebuttal.

Good post. I was going to post something that started out the same, but without all the good words.

Thanks for helping me not to look like a moron :P

In Texas at least being a fulltime student is an automatic exemption; you might want to call the clerk (or whoever you're supposed to call). Actually read the summons -- it will probably tell you what the automatic exemptions are, and how to invoke them etc.

But, as others have said, shirking jury duty simply reduces the level of the jury pool, and removes your opportunity to gripe about bad jury verdicts and awards :|

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>But you know what they say..... a Grand Jury will indict a ham sandwich. I know that's not true, but you may hear that a lot.

Yes it is true. It's a rubber stamp for the prosecutor. It was designed to prevent prosecutors from charging major crimes and keeping innocent people tied up for long periods on serious cases.

What the most pathetic things is is that the records remain sealed forever, which establishes the what a rotten system we really have. What is teh system affraid of? Perhaps using the GJ trascript and the trial transcript and showing witnesses lied.... of course not cops, we all know they never lie.

Testilie. Term "testi-lie".;):)
Always be kinder than you feel.