Darius11

Iran Test-Fires 9 Missiles to Show 'Might'

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/iran-test-fires-9-missiles-to-show-might/20080709062209990001

TEHRAN, Iran (July 9) - Iran test-fired nine long- and medium-range missiles Wednesday during war games that officials said aimed to show the country can retaliate against any U.S. and Israeli attack, state television reported.

Gen. Hossein Salami, the air force commander of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards, said the exercise would "demonstrate our resolve and might against enemies who in recent weeks have threatened Iran with harsh language," the TV report said.

Wednesday's war games were being conducted at the mouth of the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic waterway through which about 40 percent of the world's oil passes. Iran has threatened to shut down traffic in the strait if attacked.

The report showed footage of at least three missiles firing simultaneously, and said the barrage included a new version of the Shahab-3 missile, which officials have said has a range of 1,250 miles and is armed with a 1-ton conventional warhead.

That would put Israel, Turkey, the Arabian peninsula, Afghanistan and Pakistan within striking distance.

"Our hands are always on the trigger and our missiles are ready for launch," the official IRNA news agency quoted Salami as saying Wednesday.

The report comes less than a day after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad dismissed fears that Israel and the United States could be preparing to attack his country, calling the possibility a "funny joke."

"I assure you that there won't be any war in the future," Ahmadinejad told a news conference Tuesday during a visit to Malaysia for a summit of developing Muslim nations.

But even as Ahmadinejad and other Iranian officials have dismissed the possibility of attack, Tehran has stepped up its warnings of retaliation if the Americans — or Israelis — do launch military action, including threats to hit Israel and U.S. Gulf bases with missiles and stop oil traffic through the vital Gulf

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called Wednesday's tests "evidence that the missile threat is not an imaginary one."

"Those who say that there is no Iranian missile threat against which we should build a missile defense system perhaps ought to talk to the Iranians about their claims," Rice said while traveling in Sofia, Bulgaria.

A White House spokesman called the tests "completely inconsistent with Iran's obligations to the world."

"The Iranian regime only furthers the isolation of the Iranian people from the international community when it engages in this sort of activity," said Gordon Johndroe, spokesman for the National Security Council.

"They should also refrain from further missile tests if they truly seek to gain the trust of the world," he added, speaking from Japan where President Bush is attending the Group of Eight summit.

In late June, Vice Adm. Kevin Cosgriff, who was then the commander of the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet, said any attempt by Iran to seal off the Strait of Hormuz would be viewed as an act of war. The U.S. 5th Fleet is based in Bahrain, across the Gulf from Iran.

Israel's military sent warplanes over the eastern Mediterranean for a large military exercise in June that U.S. officials described as a possible rehearsal for a strike on Iran's nuclear facilities, which the West fears are aimed at producing atomic weapons.

Iran says its nuclear program is geared only toward generating electricity, not weapons.

The Israeli exercise was widely interpreted as a show of force as well as a practice on skills needed to execute a long-range strike mission.

Shaul Mofaz, an Israeli Cabinet minister, set off an international uproar last month by saying in a published interview that Israel would have "no choice" but to attack Iran if it doesn't halt its nuclear program. Mofaz is a former military chief and defense minister, and has been Israel's representative in a strategic dialogue on Iran with U.S. officials.

On Wednesday, Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev said Israel "does not desire hostility and conflict with Iran."

"But it is clear that the Iranian nuclear program and the Iranian ballistic missile program is a matter of grave concern," Regev said.

The Guards and Iran's regular army routinely hold exercises two or three times a year.

I find it ridicules for anyone to think Iran would or should act in any other way. It is surrounded by US forces and constantly threatened by Israel and us. Do we really think everyone should bend over and grab their ankles on request? Off course if Israel does lunch yet another preemptive attack I am sure our media and the sheep that follow will be quick to blame the brown people as usual. We really need to give people the same respect that we crave.

Simple you would think.
I was reading some of the posts on AOL and again I am reminded that we have way to many mentally handicapped people who are unaware of their status. In the words of Carlos Mencia Deeed dee deeee

What the hell do you expect them to do? And how would we react to the same threats that Iran has been faced with for the last 8 years?

God save us from all the stupid people.
We all make mistakes but stupid people tend to repeat them over and over again.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I find it odd that a nation that deploys thousands of ICBMs armed with nuclear warheads and with a recent history of unprovoked invasion of another nation, should criticize a missile test by a nation with no history of invading anyone in centuries.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You should move to Iran, where things would be more to your liking.;)B|

Ok lets examine this.

He or she should move to Iran - a fairly repressive society - because he understands how the powerful section of said society will react to external threats of aggression by another state who have previously overthrown the country, previously encouraged them to use nuclear energy and just generally terrorised them. While in more recent years invaded their neighbours to both the left and right, killed hundreds of thousands of people year and last; openly threatened to attack.

Yeah ok he hates freedom he is a freedom hater.

Anyone openly calling for the destruction of Israel in a flash of light while simultaneously attempting to build a nuclear program brings it onto themselves.

You mean a nuclear energy program that is completely legal while you maintain a thousands strong stockpile of illegal weapons and terrorise 2/3 of the planet for several decades? Yeah that sounds completely fair. I agree strongly.

In December 2006 and March 2007, the international community passed resolutions 1737 and 1747 respectively after Iran failed to comply with UN demands to halt the enrichment of uranium or to agree to full IAEA oversight of its nuclear program. Guess that falls under "completely legal" these days.

> You should move to Iran, where things would be more to your liking.

Right! Because, unlike him, you do not believe in the use of military force to solve problems.

Let's just all role belly up and see if someone will scratch our tummys!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

In December 2006 and March 2007, the international community passed resolutions 1737 and 1747 respectively after Iran failed to comply with UN demands to halt the enrichment of uranium or to agree to full IAEA oversight of its nuclear program. Guess that falls under "completely legal" these days.

The international community dominate the UN? Here I was thinking it was pretty much a shadow of US desires and wants... you know with the decades of vetoing anything they want and passing anything they want.

So what should we do about Israel considering they have violated more UN resolutions then Iraq or Iran?

The problem with our policies are they are obviously hypocritical and contra progressive and you just proved it; unless off course you’re calling for the invasion of Israel.

Right! Because, unlike him, you do not believe in the use of military force to solve problems.

No lets just keep doing the same thing over and over again and maybe we will get a different result cause you know that’s a logical out look.:S

I don't think anywhere in his post he was saying he liked anything about Iran

As a reminder

I find it odd that a nation that deploys thousands of ICBMs armed with nuclear warheads and with a recent history of unprovoked invasion of another nation, should criticize a missile test by a nation with no history of invading anyone in centuries

That simply is a factual statement.

No lets just keep doing the same thing over and over again and maybe we will get a different result cause you know that’s a logical out look.:S

Your right! We should. Why? Cause it is working!:o

AND YOU CANT STAND IT:D:D
Abraham Lincoln

>Let's just all role belly up and see if someone will scratch our tummys!

Better yet - let's just keep killing civilians until they stop hating us.

So you are really worried cause you think the world hates you. that is an unfounded fear billvon, there there..

:D
Abraham Lincoln

What is working?

Everything you hate and say is not working.B|

One need just take a look.

(now go ask billvon what I meant, cause I really would like to know)
Abraham Lincoln

I found the best vido clip for you and your buddies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcoumXsRdYo

This is the logic your using.

and its funny in this cartoon but sad in the real world.

Cant watch youtube here but I most lilely would not anyway.

Did you ask billvon what my logic was? Or are you trying this on your own?
Abraham Lincoln

I’ll describe it to you. It’s a clip from family guy where a guy is arguing with a mule. The mule is arguing that Kevin Bacon was not in Footloose the movie and will not change his mind no matter what the facts are.

No I didn’t ask Bill but here we go.

Hey Bill what the heck do you think Rush is talking about?

I’ll describe it to you. It’s a clip from family guy where a guy is arguing with a mule. The mule is arguing that Kevin Bacon was not in Footloose the movie and will not change his mind no matter what the facts are.

No I didn’t ask Bill but here we go.

Hey Bill what the heck do you think Rush is talking about?

So, why are you comparing yourself to the mule?
Abraham Lincoln

>what the heck do you think Rush is talking about?

Only he knows. Although if history is any guide, it's some variation on "republicans good, democrats bad." In this case he is probably arguing that the war is going just great, and that somehow proves that GWB was "right."