Gawain

1974 Thesis - Insight to Sen. McCain's View on Foreign Policy and Armed Conflict

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/us/politics/15pows.html?th=&adxnnl=1&emc=th&adxnnlx=1213628434-ceDRUdp8F/t8COk+RsmlSA

While I'm not a fan of the New York Times, this is an interesting column, and is spot on in many perspectives.

A decent read.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

While I'm not a fan of the New York Times, this is an interesting column, and is spot on in many perspectives.

A decent read.

from your article...

To insulate against such doubts, he recommended that the military should teach its recruits not only how to fight but also the reasons for American foreign policies like the containment of Southeast Asian communism — even though, Mr. McCain acknowledged, “a program of this nature could be construed as ‘brainwashing’ or ‘thought control’ and could come in for a great deal of criticism.”

From what I have seen on here.. I think the military has done an exemplary job with that these days, they performed exceedingly well selling their point of view with so many who they sent ot the unnecessary war in Iraq..not all but most.[:/]

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/us/politics/15pows.html?th=&adxnnl=1&emc=th&adxnnlx=1213628434-ceDRUdp8F/t8COk+RsmlSA

Interesting read.

So what do you think of what the article's content and what it suggests w/r/t Sen. McCain’s approach to foreign policy? Do you think that’s the leadership approach the US needs? If so, why? With what do you think it is "spot on" & why?

I have not yet had a chance to read the original manuscript, obtained via FOIA.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

A decent read.

There are also some parts of the NYT article that are gross mis-interpretations/politcal spin of McCain's position in his paper.

I read his paper and agreed with the premise and conclusions. I think they are misrepresented in the NYT article to make political hay.[:/]

McCain is advocating educating soldiers in foreign policy to the extent necessary that it prepares them to fight an entirely different war as a P.O.W. A war of propaganda.

An interesting quote from his paper:

Many ex-POW’s have stated that due to the length and divisiveness of the Vietnam conflict, if the policy of the North Vietnamese towards the captured Americans had been of strict adherence to the Geneva Convention the North Vietnamese might have returned a group of men who would have been grateful and sympathetic to their problems in that part of the world. Instead, a dedicated group of anti-communists have emerged from that ordeal.

Infer what you will from that... I can't imagine how that might apply to current events.;)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken