CameraNewbie

Acquittals in Sean Bell's shooting spark outrage

Have you given any thought to what proportion of New York City is within a 1000' radius of an elementary school? In urban areas, such laws serve little purpose but to give the DA the ability to tag on an extra charge. Being within 1000' of an elementary school, in and of itself, offers zero indication that there was any intent to sell anything to students.

This was enough information for a judge and jury to prosecute and sentence him with.

Anyway, do you honestly think that a drug dealer would really have enough of a conscience to not sell their drugs to people who are under 18? Do you think that they hold such high standards or values as to whom to sell drugs to? Be it over 18 or under 18?
Don't say no to drugs, say no thank you!

This also raises the question of what exactly where these dudes doing in a shady strip club that night.

Bachelor party guys going to a shady strip club? That never happens!

You have to take jcd's note about the rarity of being outside the 1000ft radii to heart as well. Those distance laws are passed against drugs, strip clubs, gun stores...the true intent is to either zone out the undesirable vice, or to give prosecuters a slam dunk conviction.

do you honestly think that a drug dealer would really have enough of a conscience to not sell their drugs to people who are under 18? Do you think that they hold such high standards or values as to whom to sell drugs to? Be it over 18 or under 18?

Why would you think drug dealers lack conscience? They are no different from the rest of society. Some are honorable; some aren't.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Why would you think drug dealers lack conscience? They are no different from the rest of society. Some are honorable; some aren't.

They make the concious decision to distribute an illegal substance, how is that honorable?

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

This also raises the question of what exactly where these dudes doing in a shady strip club that night.

Bachelor party guys going to a shady strip club? That never happens!

I wasn't the one who wrote this. This was written by a black person that blogged this in a hip hop community forum. I posted the link, you are free to comment on that blog site, if you wish. Read full blog

You have to take jcd's note about the rarity of being outside the 1000ft radii to heart as well. Those distance laws are passed against drugs, strip clubs, gun stores...the true intent is to either zone out the undesirable vice, or to give prosecuters a slam dunk conviction.

What it boils down to is that this is enough information for a jury and judge to find him guilty and sentence him for it.

Post: Why would you think drug dealers lack conscience? They are no different from the rest of society. Some are honorable; some aren't.
In Reply To

They make the concious decision to distribute an illegal substance, how is that honorable?

You see JCD11235 is referring to a different society of drug dealers. They are rather an elite group. There are those that honor a certain code. Sure, they sell an illegal substance but they only sell it to those that offer to buy it from them. Thereby, never having to push their drugs on people. They swear an oath on the drug dealer's bible to never ever ever sell to school children no matter how bad business is doing or how good business may be if they were to sell to school children. I believe the distributors have a contingency plan to buy back the drugs from an unsuccessful drug dealer if they pay a 15% restock fee. This way they will never ever sell to school children maintaining they code of honor. JCD11235, if I am wrong about this code of honor, please clarify.

I serve on a Board of Directors that acts closely in concert with the Department of Parks, 3 police precincts (I attend their monthly meetings), know and meet with the Community Board directors, the Senators and Assemblymen here, so don't ask what I do for my community

I don't sit on my ass and read blogs. EVER. I actually TALK to the people who are involved or are afraid they WILL become involved in such an incident, take their concerns to the people who can actually DO something about and and articulate it to them. I'm not trying to stand in the street and go to jail. I'd be better served doing things my way.

The real outrage here is NOT the verdict. What you are responding to is what the media is feeding you. The real fear and outrage here is that it happened in the first place. There is no surprise in the verdict to a thinking person. A trial can go either way, based on the evidence presented. A lot of people lied on the stand and the judge dealt with what he had been presented with.

What were they doing in a titty bar? They are grown men. Thats who they MAKE titty bars for and if it was illegal, why wasn't it shut down? There were a LOT of people in there that night. Should they be shot upon leaving? By the way, there are bag and coat searches before you go into those clubs. Nobody is supposed to get in with a weapon (the cops did). So seeing there was no gun in the car, there was NO FUCKING GUN. Forget the car as a weapon, if I was surrounded by a gang of guys holding guns I'd try to get out too. I'm not coming out and talk to them.

Quoting 'even' a black person said ________ is ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and would that stand out more to you if an Asian person said something? Lets get real.

I, too, HAVE to believe in the justice system because thats all we have. I just don't want to be on the wrong side of it and please don't ever assume what actions a person takes because they aren't out in the street promoting civil disobedience. There are intelligent and civil ways of getting things done and thats the path I chose. I refuse to let the media or some blog sway what I have to do.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

That something is illegal does not make it unethical. Likewise, just because something is legal does not make it ethical.

I've known very ethical people who made illegal incomes, and I've known very unethical people that were law abiding citizens.

JCD11235, if I am wrong about this code of honor, please clarify.

To say you are wrong would be a huge understatement. My guess is that you've never (knowingly) known any drug dealers as you have demonstrated that you have no understanding of how they operate.

I wasn't the one who wrote this. This was written by a black person that blogged this in a hip hop community forum.

Do you really think that it has more credibility because it was written by a black person in a hip-hop community?

What you are doing is an honorable thing. You are serving your community. You are representing the community in a very positive way. There should be more people like you in every town.

The real outrage here is NOT the verdict. What you are responding to is what the media is feeding you.

And where exactly is the media getting this source of information from? They get their information from what was transpired in court. Therefore, what the media is feeding me is what I cannot or am allowed to see in person. That's all there is to it.

A lot of people lied on the stand and the judge dealt with what he had been presented with.

Be it the plantiffs or the defendants...how can you prove that anyone lied on the stand? None of us can.

What were they doing in a titty bar? They are grown men. Thats who they MAKE titty bars for and if it was illegal, why wasn't it shut down?

Do you really think it's that easy to shut any unlawful location down? Where do you live? NY? You should know how many times a State Liquor Authority shuts down an unlawful location and then it reopens within a week or so. You think the community didn't try to shut that place down? This ain't no okee fenokee town where a place gets shut down it stays shut down for good.

There were a LOT of people in there that night. Should they be shot upon leaving? By the way, there are bag and coat searches before you go into those clubs. Nobody is supposed to get in with a weapon (the cops did). So seeing there was no gun in the car, there was NO FUCKING GUN. Forget the car as a weapon, if I was surrounded by a gang of guys holding guns I'd try to get out too. I'm not coming out and talk to them.

April, I see where you are coming from. You're preaching to the choir. The cops were found not guilty. The witnesses were not credible witnesses. The judge came to a verdict. They will not get a civil lawsuit. We can't change what happened that night. We can't change what happens going forward because the police weren't found guilty. Nothing will come out of this. I applaud anyone for trying to make a difference or trying to make changes and definitely for serving in their community. That's a very honorable thing to do. Bottom line is the judicial system be it fair or unfair made a decision to acquit the cops and closed the case. End of story.

I've known very ethical people who made illegal incomes,

What code of ethics is that were you make illegal incomes? Are they reporting their income to the IRS? Illegal is bad. Illegal is not good in the USA JCD11235. You will get arrested, tried and maybe prosecuted and sentenced for doing illegal things.

and I've known very unethical people that were law abiding citizens.

that's apples and oranges jcd11235. Being unethical in your ways does not make you do illegal things.

To say you are wrong would be a huge understatement. My guess is that you've never (knowingly) known any drug dealers as you have demonstrated that you have no understanding of how they operate.

Quite honestly JCD11235, I would rather not associate myself with people who engage in illegal activities. So educate us. Please, do tell....how do the ethical drug dealers that you know operate? What about them makes them ethical? Inquiring minds want to know.

What code of ethics is that were you make illegal incomes? Are they reporting their income to the IRS? Illegal is bad. Illegal is not good in the USA JCD11235. You will get arrested, tried and maybe prosecuted and sentenced for doing illegal things.

Not all laws are just. Most drug laws fall in the category of unjust laws. Those who risk arrest and prosecution to civilly disobey unjust laws are not automatically unethical.

Being unethical in your ways does not make you do illegal things.

Exactly. Nor does doing illegal things automatically make one unethical.

I would rather not associate myself with people who engage in illegal activities.

Would you associate with someone who exceeded the speed limit? How about someone who hosted an occasional home poker game? Would you disassociate with someone because they turned right on red despite a sign prohibiting such maneuvers? What if the illegally parked their car?

What about them makes them ethical?

The same qualities that make anyone ethical, honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, etc. These are qualities of people, not occupations. In most any occupation, you will find people who are ethical, and people who aren't.

I would rather not associate myself with people who engage in illegal activities.

Would you associate with someone who exceeded the speed limit? How about someone who hosted an occasional home poker game? Would you disassociate with someone because they turned right on red despite a sign prohibiting such maneuvers? What if the illegally parked their car?

The same qualities that make anyone ethical, honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, etc. These are qualities of people, not occupations. In most any occupation, you will find people who are ethical, and people who aren't.

So, if I understant you correctly a criminal can be ethical?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Yes, just like a law abiding citizen, a criminal can be ethical or unethical. Since there are so many laws on the books creating victimless crimes, it's not reasonable to assume someone is unethical simply because they engage in criminal activity.

Heck, I've even sat in on non-sanctioned poker games. :o

Yes, a criminal can be ethical. (Rosa Parks)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I was referring to drug dealers not joe shmoes that commit petty violations.

Wow, I'd seriously like to hear if other posters here feel the same way about your view regarding drug dealers. That's definitely a thread that's worth creating.

I see. It's okay to associate with a criminal as long as you don't take the law seriously.

Drug laws do far more harm than drugs. I've known quite a few drug dealers over the years, some have been ethical, some have not, and some have been somewhere in between. I've made the same observations w/r/t law abiding citizens.

I see. It's okay to associate with a criminal as long as you don't take the law seriously.

Is that what you're saying or is that what you think I'm saying?

Let's get back to the point here. My question to you was:

1. How exactly have these drug dealers, that you are associated with, have acted ethically when it came to selling drugs to people?

2. What have these drug dealer done exactly to bring such honor to the code of drug dealers?

Let's get back to the point here.

To get back to the point, I'm still waiting on you to support your assertion that possessing enough of a controlled substance to distribute implies that that substance will be distributed to kids.

My question to you was:

1. How exactly have these drug dealers, that you are associated with, have acted ethically when it came to selling drugs to people?

One example (of many possible) is chemical testing to ensure their customers are buying what they think they are buying. Unfortunately, due to drug laws, the extent to which substances can be tested is limited, and testing materials themselves are typically illegal, despite their health risk reducing application. Still, the more that is known about a substance prior to ingesting, the better.

2. What have these drug dealer done exactly to bring such honor to the code of drug dealers?

This question is nonsensical. What is this "code of drug dealers" you are talking about? As I said, like any other occupational field, some operate ethically, and some don't.

Drug laws do far more harm than drugs. I've known quite a few drug dealers over the years, some have been ethical, some have not, and some have been somewhere in between. I've made the same observations w/r/t law abiding citizens.

I think your glasses are a little rose colored. Drug addictions cause more problems to people than drug laws. And I would have no problem with legalized drugs. Treat drugs like alcohol and let people do as they please.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Yes, just like a law abiding citizen, a criminal can be ethical or unethical. Since there are so many laws on the books creating victimless crimes, it's not reasonable to assume someone is unethical simply because they engage in criminal activity.

Heck, I've even sat in on non-sanctioned poker games. :o

Any you include a drug dealer (of illeagal narcotics) in that class?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln